Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Do you know who your MP is? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you know who your MP is? (anon)
    Yes, I know who my MP is
    32.04%
    I know who my MP is and something about them
    53.04%
    I had to look up who my MP is
    5.52%
    I don't care who my MP is!
    9.39%

ReputationRep:
    Our age group - 16-25 - has one of the lowest voting percentages of any of the ages. It isn't clear from research if this is due to a lack of interest in politics - probably not, as we also have a high rate of participation in pressure groups, voluntary work and activist causes.

Probably we feel disenfranchised because we feel uninterested in the political choices on offer. This made me wonder - how many of us even know who our MP is come to that?

For what it's worth, I do know - my MP is Andrew Smith, Labour, Oxford East. I don't really keep up with what he is doing though, other than if I take the trouble to see how he voted on something - which in his case, is reliably with the Party line, something I don't personally find good.

You can use sites like www.parliament.uk to easily find out who your Member of Parliament is, by postcode or area.
    http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

There are also sites that report on MP activities like Theyworkforyou.
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

So, did you know who your MP was before you came to this page??

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I have met him and he came to my wedding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Yes. I have met him and he came to my wedding!
    What was he like? And why did he come to your wedding, was it an election? (joke)

ReputationRep:
    I do and I loathe him very much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know and honestly don't care what she does as I won't be voting for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    I do and I loathe him very much.
    Ahh, do tell us who he is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ahh, do tell us who he is!
    Sir Gerald Howarth- I questioned his hypocrisy over the gay marriage issue and he sent me back a very dismissive email that basically suggested I was a clueless edeeot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Sir Gerald Howarth- I questioned his hypocrisy over the gay marriage issue and he sent me back a very dismissive email that basically suggested I was a clueless edeeot.
    OK. That's kind of how I would describe him, but that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    OK. That's kind of how I would describe him, but that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:
    The man is a dinosaur.

He didn't want to break the tradition of marriage but had no qualms voting through the succession bill.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I know who mine is, yes. And he's rubbish. Have written to him to get help with something and he's done nothing to help me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know who my MP is, and she's a member of the current Cabinet!

ReputationRep:
    Nick de Bois. I met him first at a public question event, we debated drug policy. He called up my headteacher the next day (apparently to praise, but I'll remain sceptical). I'll be working under him this summer for work experience!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course. Hazel Blears. She seems just to be a party stooge though, I don't think she really thinks for herself. But I do get an Xmas card from her every year, since I used to be a Labour Party member, which is all very nice. :p:

EDIT: Also, surely the first option on the poll should be "I know who my MP is but I don't know anything/much about them", as I ticked the first option, since it seemed to be applicable, but the second would be [more] applicable too.

ReputationRep:
    I do indeed know who my MP is, although I don't wish to name them, as I don't want to reveal that much about where I live. I know the party they represent and a few things about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I know who mine is, yes. And he's rubbish. Have written to him to get help with something and he's done nothing to help me.
    Did you get standard replies, or no reply at all? Or something more than that but not satisfactory to you?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, he's in the shadow cabinet. Not a massive fan but he could certainly be worse and if I ever email he usually responds.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My current MP is Malcolm Bruce. Apparently he's a Sir now. Don't much about what he does to be honest.

However, my old MP was someone much maligned and despised on here.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I had no idea who my MP was before searching on that site. I feel pretty bad tbh, but I kind of have no interest in local issues (I live just outside of London, but spend most of my time in London).

ReputationRep:
    Know his name, his party and that he voted against the gay marriage bill. He represents the constituents of an urban southern town, who are pretty gay friendly these days. We're not feeling democratically represented. Young men can kiss in public here without being beaten up, which wasn't the case ten years ago.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep, know who my MP is - mainly 'cause of the allegations that she has fraudulently claimed expenses recently

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.