Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Do you know who your MP is? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you know who your MP is? (anon)
    Yes, I know who my MP is
    32.04%
    I know who my MP is and something about them
    53.04%
    I had to look up who my MP is
    5.52%
    I don't care who my MP is!
    9.39%

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I had to check the name of my local MP. I knew he was a die-hard Tory but nothing beyond that really. In my defense I never voted for/against him, I've moved twice since the last general election.

I do know who the MP is down the road though. Caroline Lucas, leader of the Green Party. That's considerably easier to remember than a Tory nobody. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    She often comes across quite well on TV, she seems pretty smart - I think we could do with a few more MPs with origins from other EU countries.
    In October 2004, she became the only Labour MP who openly supported the re-election of George W. Bush in that year's US presidential election, arguing "you know where you stand with George and, in today's world, that's much better than rudderless leaders who drift with the prevailing wind." She wrote that a victory for Democratic Party challenger, John Kerry, would prompt "victory celebrations among those who want to destroy liberal democracies. More terrorists and suicide bombers would step forward to become martyrs in their quest to destroy the West."

From Wikipedia

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Here he is. Although this guy would probably speak more sense...

ReputationRep:
    My MP sits on the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee and a few years ago he punched someone. Before I returned to University, it was the historian that was parachuted into a Labour Seat at the last election, Tristram Hunt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    In October 2004, she became the only Labour MP who openly supported the re-election of George W. Bush in that year's US presidential election, arguing "you know where you stand with George and, in today's world, that's much better than rudderless leaders who drift with the prevailing wind." She wrote that a victory for Democratic Party challenger, John Kerry, would prompt "victory celebrations among those who want to destroy liberal democracies. More terrorists and suicide bombers would step forward to become martyrs in their quest to destroy the West."

From Wikipedia
    TBH, although GW Bush is widely critiqued, I think between him and the useless Kerry, it's a toughie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I had to check the name of my local MP. I knew he was a die-hard Tory but nothing beyond that really. In my defense I never voted for/against him, I've moved twice since the last general election.

I do know who the MP is down the road though. Caroline Lucas, leader of the Green Party. That's considerably easier to remember than a Tory nobody. :p:
    Sigh. I was thinking of moving to Brighton, just to be in a Green seat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm embarassed to say that I have no idea who my MP is, i guess that's because i'm not a big fan of politics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    David Tredinnick. He's spoken out in favour of NHS funded homeopathy, and will thus never receive my vote as he is clearly mad as a brush.
    You do wonder about the screening process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Of course - I absolutely loathe him and will punch him if ever we were to meet. He's an islamo-fascist, a cat and what the soviets would call a useful idiot - ladies and gentleman, introducing George Gallow****!
    Oh, you really hit the jackpot! He's so wonderful! :adore: :adore: :adore: Not.

At least he's not boring though. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my MP is Nick Hurd, pretty much inherited the position from his father, and has the most prestigious position of "Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for The Civil Society." He was even on ITV News once, watch out.

I've sent a couple letters to him. He isn't bad at what he does, being a liaison between the upper members of the cabinet and his constituents. I think I sent him something about Richard O'Dwyer (Google him, he actually has a pretty interesting story) and got a reply from Damian Green when he was the Minister for Immigration. Recently, I also sent him something about teaching of IT in schools which he hasn't replied to yet.

Hurd does appeal to his constituents though on free votes, more or less. On the gay marriage vote, he asked his constituents what they thought, as well as asking priests what their congregations thought, and everyone was so split on it he abstained even though he was for it. Probably the only thing he has done which I like, all the other stuff he's just followed whatever his party says.

Just thought you'd like that little story about my MP. Donations accepted, of course.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, although GW Bush is widely critiqued, I think between him and the useless Kerry, it's a toughie.
    In invading Iraq Bush acted against International Law, he authorised the use of torture at Guantanamo Bay which is a Crime against Humanity. He is generally considered to have been one of the ten worst US presidents of all times.

Most politicians, no matter how useless, would be better than him.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. I was thinking of moving to Brighton, just to be in a Green seat.
    :moon:

It's kinda interesting how little support the Greens have in the other Brighton constituencies, you'd think it'd be a bit more balanced. The world is a strange place.

ReputationRep:
    I do yes, she's on the cabinet she visited our school a couple times and I was part of youth council so also met her a few times because of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    In invading Iraq Bush acted against International Law, he authorised the use of torture at Guantanamo Bay which is a Crime against Humanity. He is generally considered to have been one of the ten worst US presidents of all times.

Most politicians, no matter how useless, would be better than him.
    Not clear that other Prezzies would have done much different though is it? Obama has cleared some people out of Guantanamo but kept it open (I agree 100% with your characterisation of it) and if anything intensified the war in Afghanistan. It also isn't clear to me that it was wrong per se to get rid of Saddam (sorry if that sounds Blairite), albeit the US proceeded to run Iraq in just about the worst ways they could think of after doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    :moon:

It's kinda interesting how little support the Greens have in the other Brighton constituencies, you'd think it'd be a bit more balanced. The world is a strange place.
    Pavilion covers the town centre and poshest bits? Or is that not accurate? I see her win was not that big a margin - 16,000 to 14,000 - presumably she will have quite a fight to retain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Yes. I have met him and he came to my wedding!
    did he claim it on his expenses?

ReputationRep:
    Not clear that other Prezzies would have done much different though is it? Obama has cleared some people out of Guantanamo but kept it open (I agree 100% with your characterisation of it) and if anything intensified the war in Afghanistan. It also isn't clear to me that it was wrong per se to get rid of Saddam (sorry if that sounds Blairite), albeit the US proceeded to run Iraq in just about the worst ways they could think of after doing so.
    I don't agree with some of Obama's policies either, he is clearly overhyped. Not a bad president at all, but announcing that his predecessor would not be charged for any of his acts, intensifying drone warfare and not standing to his promise to close Guantanamo don't paint a too positive picture.

Afghanistan ist quite different from Iraq though (among other factors there was a UN resolution) and even in Iraq the US started well - Petraeus approach in Mosul proved very fruitful.

Regime change (such as in Iraq) is simply not allowed in International Law except for in very grave conditions when war crimes on a large scale are involved. Not even factoring in how the US and UK government deceived and mislead their citizens into believing that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction although even their own secret services told them that there wasn't enough evidence and it was much more likely that Saddam didn't have any.

Iraq was clearly wrong (I'm glad that despite a hell of a lot of pressure from the US my own country refused to participate in that), Afghanistan debatable. And what would other presidents have done? Well, stay out of Iraq maybe? Follow a non-interventionist approach? Not allowing torture to be used by the forces of a country which hails itself as the most democratic nation on earth, concerned with freedom etc.

ReputationRep:
    Pavilion covers the town centre and poshest bits? Or is that not accurate? I see her win was not that big a margin - 16,000 to 14,000 - presumably she will have quite a fight to retain it.
    I lived in Brighton all of last year-in the bit covered within the 'Pavilion' seat. Kemp Town is definitely the more 'up market' as reflected by its tendency to go Tory, whereas Hove is even more so and equally will usually go Tory.

As for the Greens-Brighton and Hove Council is also run by the Greens and hasn't exactly done an inspiring job. For instance-the street I lived on near the town centre regularly was overrun with garbage from overflowing communal bins. Tax hikes have also made the council generally unpopular as well as its handling of squatters-so I'm not sure whether they will get back in.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, at those who loathe George Galloway. Please watch these:

I'll take a politician who cares more about speaking out for truth, then trying to keep quite and please everybody. He is not perfect, but he's done more than most.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Pavillion definitely does not have the poshest bits, else it'd be Tory heartland. :p: It covers the city centre right near the seafront then sort of fans out north, covering a pretty wide mix of areas from suburban middle-class to the somewhat more rural outskirts of the city.

I'm in the constituency on the eastern edge of the fan, which also includes a few small towns between Brighton and Lewes. Hove Actually has its own constituency on the other side, and both areas are conservative (although my one was a close swing from Labour). The Greens don't have more than about 5% in any of the neighbouring regions.

I suppose Lucas's victory might spur some additional support for the Greens elsewhere, but it's never going to be enough to win another constituency. And if Labour claw back a decent following in 2015 (which seems likely), Pavillion could easily go red again. The Greens are gonna have a very tough battle, that's for sure.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.