Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone got like full ums LOOL
    I got 100ums in it too and in all three ISA's
    So happy! Hope you all got what you needed too !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i got full UMS in all of them too!

And according to the news, less people have got top grades in science?! ...what rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyThereHarry)
    Yep, i got full UMS in all of them too!

And according to the news, less people have got top grades in science?! ...what rubbish!
    Lool P3 100 C3 100 B3 100 for me, so many people destroyed the module 3s they were ridiculously easy after all of the traumatic exams they put us through

ReputationRep:
    This is so crazy, i know approximately 6 people who got 100 UMS in the unit exams, myself included, how is it possible:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Just to join in and say....

I got 100UMS in physics, biology and chemistry unit 3 as well!! Hahah so crazy, I'm chuffed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilotHolly)
    Just to join in and say....

I got 100UMS in physics, biology and chemistry unit 3 as well!! Hahah so crazy, I'm chuffed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done ! What are you doing @ A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    Joining in too, I got full UMS 100! I thought I did really bad too!

ReputationRep:
    It's really weird how so many of us have achieved full UMS in all the Unit 3 exams. I can only think of two reasons for the low grade boundaries. First of all, AQA lowered the Unit 3 boundaries to compensate for A* students receiving lower grades in the ISA's as to what they would be expected to achieve. Second of all, there were many more people who achieved low marks in the Unit 3 exams due to them containing harder content, which meant more people at the top end were able to achieve full UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe7)
    It's really weird how so many of us have achieved full UMS in all the Unit 3 exams. I can only think of two reasons for the low grade boundaries. First of all, AQA lowered the Unit 3 boundaries to compensate for A* students receiving lower grades in the ISA's as to what they would be expected to achieve. Second of all, there were many more people who achieved low marks in the Unit 3 exams due to them containing harder content, which meant more people at the top end were able to achieve full UMS.
    Yeah, maybe. Also, many schools rush the unit 3 content due to lack of teaching time. This may mean that those who aren't motivated enough to self-teach won't do too well.

Luckily at my school the teachers are totally excellent so, even though we were moving at a fast pace, the quality of our learning wasn't compromised

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loooolz.. I thinks its tome for me to join the party, also got 100 ums's:
    biology unit3: 100
    biology unit4: 95
    chemistry unit2: 100
    chemistry unit3: 100
    chemistry unit4: 88 / 86 ( dont remember )
    physics unit3: 97
    physics unit4: 93

overall: biology: 357 = A ( 3 marks from an A* ( )
    chemistry: 369 = A*
    physics: 361 = A*

dissappointed with the "3 marks of an A*" in biology but meh, i'm happy since never in a million tears did i think it was possible to get 100 ums marks... Especially in the 3's, which are supposed to be the hardest lol.

p.s. anyone know what the grade boundries were - or whwn they will be released?

(Original post by killerdude122)
    Loooolz.. I thinks its tome for me to join the party, also got 100 ums's:
    biology unit3: 100
    biology unit4: 95
    chemistry unit2: 100
    chemistry unit3: 100
    chemistry unit4: 88 / 86 ( dont remember )
    physics unit3: 97
    physics unit4: 93

overall: biology: 357 = A ( 3 marks from an A* ( )
    chemistry: 369 = A*
    physics: 361 = A*

dissappointed with the "3 marks of an A*" in biology but meh, i'm happy since never in a million tears did i think it was possible to get 100 ums marks... Especially in the 3's, which are supposed to be the hardest lol.

p.s. anyone know what the grade boundries were - or whwn they will be released?
    The grade boundaries were released on the 21st you can probably find the link on the gcse discussion thread or you can just search in google. Well done btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kind of wished I hadn't looked at all the people who got 100ums lol. I feel a lot less special D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    B1-93
    B2-89
    B3-93
    B4-85
    B: 360 <---- Just made it to an A*

C1-91
    C2-90
    C3-100
    C4-80
    C: 361 <----- Also barely made it!

Biology was never my thing and i was terrible at the Isas! Disappointed that nearly everyone here got full UMS but i did my best and got the grade! Physics to tackle next year!!
    Well done everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    like a lot of you, i got my results and found that i also got 100ums on all bio, chem and physics this year, confirming my A*s in all three!! i was pretty chuffed, then my friend turned around and said he'd done the same, and another one of my friends...wtf?! looks like loads of us have!!

i originally made the mistake of assuming i got 100%...not sure if anyone else has posted the ums calculator results on here, but here they are:

bio : 100ums is a minimum of 39/60 65%
    chem : 100ums is a minimum of 48/60 80%
    physics: 100ums is a minimum of 44/60 73%

i just think these grade boundries are ridiculously low, especially for 100ums?! you needed 36/60 in bio for an A*, so the chances are that if you got an A* in the exam, you would get 100ums for it...

i was soo lucky that these boundaries were soo low...i did terrible in the exams and probably got those marks shown above as raw marks!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I just wanted to advise you on something I've come to realise from the student room. Don't look at the unofficial mark schemes after an exam because they can give you a massive feeling if doubt about yourself.
    For example, I marked my exam paper using the unofficial mark scheme for this paper and came out with a B which I was gutted about because I got an A* in all of the other papers for biology. We get to results day and I open my envelope expecting to see a B and I see an A*. So don't put all of your trust in these mark schemes because they clearly aren't correct.

ReputationRep:
    What were the full-course science grade boundaries? Was it out of 400ums? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by user4600)
    What were the full-course science grade boundaries? Was it out of 400ums? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep. 100 for the 3 exams and the ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I feel stupid because I seem to be the only one who didn't get 100 UMS in the three triple papers...

Biology - B
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - C

Oh well. Well done everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    Well I feel stupid because I seem to be the only one who didn't get 100 UMS in the three triple papers...

Biology - B
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - C

Oh well. Well done everyone.
    This is why I think it's silly. On your biology paper that you got a B in, you might only have dropped 7 more marks than someone who got 100ums?! The grade boundaries were ridiculously close and I think it's bad go on the ums converter thing and see how many raw marks you were off next grades, I bet you weren't far.
    stand alone though, those results are great, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentWales)
    This is why I think it's silly. On your biology paper that you got a B in, you might only have dropped 7 more marks than someone who got 100ums?! The grade boundaries were ridiculously close and I think it's bad go on the ums converter thing and see how many raw marks you were off next grades, I bet you weren't far.
    stand alone though, those results are great, don't worry!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with those results haha, I just didn't expect so many people to get 100 UMS.

If you're interested.

Biology - 73 UMS - 29 Marks - B
    Chemistry - 85 UMS - 42 Marks - A
    Physics - 62 UMS - 27 Marks - C

Overall;

Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - C

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.