Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issie1234)
    Hello!

To get an a* overall you need to get at least 360% (out of 400%)

isa = 84%

94+88+84 = 266

360-266 = 94

So you need to get at least 94 to get an a* overall
    Hi thanks but i thought 42/50 in ISA is a 92 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest what are you all taking for A-levels? And what do you want to do when you leave sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan1997)
    Just out of interest what are you all taking for A-levels? And what do you want to do when you leave sixth form?
    I'm going to be doing History of Art, British History, English Lit and Philosophy. Completely (and gloriously :woo:) unrelated to science! Hope to go to uni after to study English and History and end up teaching both

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Biology geography maths physics

ReputationRep:
    Maths, physics, geography and economics. No idea for uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    Hi thanks but i thought 42/50 in ISA is a 92 UMS?
    Well you don't know for sure what the UMS is until results day so you and your teachers can only guess.

ReputationRep:
    Next year I'm taking biology, chemistry, English language and psychology. I have no idea what I want to do after sixth form though

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, whoops I did.

Explain and describe 3 ways in which the kidneys are efficient exchange surfaces (6 marks)
    Since nobody else has, I'll answer this and hope you have the answers yourself since I'm not entirely sure:P I'll bullet point so the 6 marks are clearer 9presuming this isn't a quality of written communication question).

-The kidneys have a large surface area
    -which increases the rate of diffusioin of moleules from the blood since moe molecules can diffuse into the kidney tubule at once.
    -The kidneys have a constant blood suppl
    -which constantly supplies waste rich blood contining lots of urea and waste mineral ions to maintain steep concentration gradients.
    -The kidneys have thin membranes between the blood vessels and kidney tubules
    -to decrease the distance of diffusion.

Two other points I guess could be added are:

-Contains mitochondria
    -to release enegy in respiration in order to for active transport to take place forthe reabsorbtion of glucose, any needed water and any useful mineral ions.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone hazard a guess as to what will come up in unit 3 higher gcse? Things that haven't come up previously or similar to past papers?

ReputationRep:
    Next year I'm taking biology, chemistry, English language and psychology. I have no idea what I want to do after sixth form though
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Ecomomics :grin: can't wait
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Physics, Maths and Engineering.

In Uni - not sure, once we get the grades then we can decide.

ReputationRep:
    By the way everyone http://www.my-gcsescience.com/ is a good website with videos on everything pretty much for each science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Theorem)
    Since nobody else has, I'll answer this and hope you have the answers yourself since I'm not entirely sure:P I'll bullet point so the 6 marks are clearer 9presuming this isn't a quality of written communication question).

-The kidneys have a large surface area
    -which increases the rate of diffusioin of moleules from the blood since moe molecules can diffuse into the kidney tubule at once.
    -The kidneys have a constant blood suppl
    -which constantly supplies waste rich blood contining lots of urea and waste mineral ions to maintain steep concentration gradients.
    -The kidneys have thin membranes between the blood vessels and kidney tubules
    -to decrease the distance of diffusion.

Two other points I guess could be added are:

-Contains mitochondria
    -to release enegy in respiration in order to for active transport to take place forthe reabsorbtion of glucose, any needed water and any useful mineral ions.
    Yeah that's all right. The only thing is all of the mark schemes I've seen with kidney questions say good blood supply not constant.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing chemistry, biology, physics and maths because I want to be a doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillowXxx)
    I want to be a doctor too but don't have good enough GCSE grades so far. Were not allowed to do physics without maths at my sixth form so couldn't choose physics even though I wanted too

ReputationRep:
    Maths, chemistry, biology & history purely as i enjoy those subjects want to do something medical in uni but that will depend on results etc...

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a doctor too but don't have good enough GCSE grades so far. Were not allowed to do physics without maths at my sixth form so couldn't choose physics even though I wanted too
    what are your GCSEs ?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you can say that your results arent good enough. personally i think that the alevel results are significantly more important...DONT GIVE UP HOPE!

ReputationRep:
    What are your results?

ReputationRep:
    do you know where you want to study ?

and what are your grades ? (for all subjects )

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.