The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unknown505
Explain how acid rain is formed and why this can be problematic for the environment? (5 Marks)

When Sulphur Dioxide produced from car exhasts etc. is released into the atmosphere it makes the rain turn acidic. This causes problems for plants and trees as the acid in the rain turns the soil acidic. Also it distroys some buildings and status that are made from limestone.

I dont know anything else to put so feedback would be great!!! I also don't know if that that i have put is right :s-smilie:

How is the arteries adapted to carry blood at hight pressure (3)
Original post by BI0
Okay i'll give it a go;

Cars produce high levels of CO2 and sulfur impurities. When the engine is at high temperates, nitrogen impurities are also released. These react with oxygen to form nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide. These gases react with rainwater to form dilute sulfuric and nitric acid - known as acid rain. Acid rain is an issue because it can cause corrosion of buildings and statues, particularly the material limestone. Acid rain can also get into rivers, and if the concentration of acid gets too high many aquatic plants and animals will be unable to survive. Another issue is that acid rain can kill plants and trees which may result in ecosystems being destroyed.

What is meant when we say humans have a "double circulation" transport system

Sorry didn't see that. Egnore my question but feedback would still be appreciated!!!
Double Circulation is the separation circulation of blood from the heart to the lungs, and then from the lungs to the heart and onto the rest of the body. Is that right?

How can a potometer be used to measure the rate of transpiration?
Original post by WillowXxx

They have no valves, thick walls and are elastic.

It measures the amount of water used by a plant in a certain time period. The amount of water used is an indicator of the rate of transpiration. Not sure what else to add...

How can you treat diabetes?
(edited 10 years ago)
When Sulphur Dioxide produced from car exhasts etc. is released into the atmosphere it makes the rain turn acidic. This causes problems for plants and trees as the acid in the rain turns the soil acidic. Also it distroys some buildings and status that are made from limestone.

I dont know anything else to put so feedback would be great!!! I also don't know if that that i have put is right :s-smilie:

Not to sure about three points but:

The arteries have thick firbre walls which enable them to bear the high pressures at which blood is travelling through them. They also are highly elasticated therefore can spring back into shape. They have a small lumen to prevent the artery from bursting?
Double Circulation is the separation circulation of blood from the heart to the lungs, and then from the lungs to the heart and onto the rest of the body. Is that right?

A potometer? What? Oh dear lord, why hasn't this been covered by neither my teacher or my revision guide?! Panic attack right here...:eek::confused:
Original post by Quantaˌ

It measures the amount of water used by a plant in a certain time period. The amount of water used is an indicator of the rate of transpiration. Not sure what else to add...

You treat diabetes by taking insulin injections mealtimes, regular exercise, low carbohydrate meals.
Original post by PilotHolly
A potometer? What? Oh dear lord, why hasn't this been covered by neither my teacher or my revision guide?! Panic attack right here...:eek::confused:

Its just a name given to the piece of apparatus used in an practical to measure the rate of transpiration.
Reply 548
Original post by PilotHolly

Basically a potometer measures the rate of transpiration. looks like this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Potometer.png/220px-Potometer.png&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potometer&h=224&w=220&sz=12&tbnid=3bh2ypq1oGiQrM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=88&zoom=1&usg=__snvAFtVeX5tyYU2fMn-p-NOPKmw=&docid=4_70G9VLqEVr6M&sa=X&ei=uxWRUZzEBoWvO_L1gBg&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAA&dur=194

The bubble moves depending on how much water is asbsorbed by the roots of the plant.
Reply 549
Original post by Quantaˌ

There is no cure for diabetes but it can be carefully monitored by eating low sugar and carbohydrate meals, regular exercise, regular injections of insulin before meals. Scientists are trying to develop cures for diabetes by looking at treating embryonic stem cells to secrete insulin and pancreas transplants.
Reply 550

The blood is adapted to carry the blood at high pressure, by first of all a small lumen. this gives the blood a small space to travel though. second of all thick walls. that dont easily change shape, and finally elasticated layer which stretches around the blood and then forces it along
(edited 10 years ago)
I hope there isn't as much 'how science works' in tomorrow's exam as there was in January's B2... Man, it's such a pain!
Explain how eutrophication takes place and how it effects the enviroment?

That's not in the spec bro
Reply 554

All right, this is a long one.

Farmers often add fertilizers (such as nitrates) to their crops to make them grow faster. These nitrates are easily washed from the soil into lakes and rivers. This can cause rapid growth of aquatic plants, which increases competition for daylight, space and minerals. This increased competition results in a lot of dying plants. An increase in dead plants increases the amount of decomposers feeding on plants; which respire, requiring oxygen. Eventually, all the oxygen in a river is used up and this prevents it from being able to support life.
Reply 555

Okay so;

framers use many substances to increase the productivity of their crops; one of which are fertilisers. However the feerti;isers are easily washed form the soils into the waterways and into the rivers and lakes. these fertilisers provide the plants with nutrients for growth, meaning they grow at a faster rate. some plants die due to natural cuases, others due to competition in the lake. as a result decomposers begin oto break down the pkant material. as m,ore plants are dying the usual there are more decomposers present. eventually the decomposers use up oygen dissolved in the water for respiration; the water oxygen levels become too low and the animals being to die. after a while all life becomes dead in the pond; this is eutrophication.
Reply 556

Its when a lake 'dies' because Oxygen levels lower significantly, and so the inhabitants die. I forgot the causes though :s-smilie: I'm not even sure if you are meant to know it
Reply 557

lol we do not need to know that
woops, maybe it is then
Reply 559
Original post by MacDaddi
woops, maybe it is then

I can't find it though?

Latest