Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a vague idea of what the grade boundaries will be for A* and A seeing as its the new specification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenchmanFrimmy)
    Does anyone know a vague idea of what the grade boundaries will be for A* and A seeing as its the new specification
    Nobody has a clue, I'd love to be able to give you a good estimation but at this point, it is purely guessing. However, that being said, around 5 of my science teachers got together and looked at our mock paper results which indicated that 38-A 44-A*. This again should be taken with a pinch of salt as they are only my year which contains quite a few lower ability students. But for everyone's sake, I hope they are low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Nobody has a clue, I'd love to be able to give you a good estimation but at this point, it is purely guessing. However, that being said, around 5 of my science teachers got together and looked at our mock paper results which indicated that 38-A 44-A*. This again should be taken with a pinch of salt as they are only my year which contains quite a few lower ability students. But for everyone's sake, I hope they are low!
    I hope the paper is fairly hard... Not too hard, but hard enough for the grade boundaries to be lowered a few marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    Don't worry, I'm floating in exactly the same boat as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phew! i thought it was just my school being unorganised, I'm sure we'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone revising for the exam?

I'm currently using sam learning but I find it to be too easy and just boring. I've also made flashcards for most of the spec and I've been watching some very good revision videos on Youtube. What do find is the best way to get it all firmly stuck in your brain?

Also, how much revision are you planning to do over the next 5 days? My teachers reckon I should relax but I'm starting to panic....

ReputationRep:
    I think biogas generators is going to be on there but theres a chance of a food efficiency and artificial hearts product questions. To anyone confused about biogas generators, i found this answer which summed it up way better than most revision guides:
    Biogas generators produce biogas (mainly methane). There are 2 types of biogas generator. A batch generator and a continuous generator. A continuous generator does all the processes at the same time whilst batch generators do the processes in stages. Basically waste (such as manure) is fed into a biogas generator and is heated. Biogas is siphoned off and the rest of the waste flows out of the generator. Continuous generators produce a steady rate of biogas and have to be refilled constantly, whereas batch generators do not have to be filled so often, do not produce a steady rate of biogas and have to be cleaned after each use. Continuous generators are better for large scale industries.
    This isnt what i came up with, i just thought i'd share in case anyones stuck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issie1234)

I'm currently using sam learning but I find it to be too easy and just boring. I've also made flashcards for most of the spec and I've been watching some very good revision videos on Youtube. What do find is the best way to get it all firmly stuck in your brain?

Also, how much revision are you planning to do over the next 5 days? My teachers reckon I should relax but I'm starting to panic....
    I've actually copied out the main bits that, for me, require extensive knowledge (e.g. the double circulatory system, how the kidney works, osmosis, active transport) and copied them in very simple note form on sheets of A4 paper. I've then stuck them all around my room - on the front of my wardrobe, on my door and whatnot. That way, when I'm getting ready for school or brushing my teeth before I go to bed, I quickly scan them. The knowledge definitely sinks in, you should perhaps give it a go!

ReputationRep:

Just don't panic. First make all your notes and learn them by writing and rewriting. If that doesn't work, read over it many times and try watching videos on the internet. Try to do as many practice papers but most of all, make model answers for 6 mark questions etc. Practice questions that are extremely likely to come up. Summarise each topic in your own words to get it in your head and test someone else which in turn helps you out by getting it in your head as well!
    Good luck! You have 5 days, its natural to feel panicky but don't lose sleep over the exam because at the end of the day, it's just a sheet of paper, getting at least a C is acceptable

ReputationRep:
    myGCSEscience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8ja...MJxG7UUf0W0wpc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nenestar98)
    Just don't panic. First make all your notes and learn them by writing and rewriting. If that doesn't work, read over it many times and try watching videos on the internet. Try to do as many practice papers but most of all, make model answers for 6 mark questions etc. Practice questions that are extremely likely to come up. Summarise each topic in your own words to get it in your head and test someone else which in turn helps you out by getting it in your head as well!
    Good luck! You have 5 days, its natural to feel panicky but don't lose sleep over the exam because at the end of the day, it's just a sheet of paper, getting at least a C is acceptable
    What kind of 6 mark questions have you made model answers for?? i think thats a great revision technique, but i just dont know what topics to practice writing them on :/

ReputationRep:
    can someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantage of the 2 types of biogas generators? and what else do we have to know about it?

ReputationRep:
    What do we need to know about artificial blood??

ReputationRep:
    I just done the speicmen paper for biology and got 53/60 what would this give me in terms of UMS roughly, going by the unit 2 boundaries i would've got 96 UMS

????

ReputationRep:
    For people wondering what the 6 mark question will be: in the physics unit 2 specimen paper the 6 marker was on stars, which was similar to the 6 marker we got in the actual exam. Going by this it could mean the biology 6 marker could be on dialysis and kidney transplants even though it was on the specimen.

ReputationRep:
    Or it could be on advanatges and disadvantages of artifical hearts or like you said dialysis. Or it may be on food productions.

As these were the 5/6 markers in biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Anonymous)
    Or it could be on advanatges and disadvantages of artifical hearts or like you said dialysis. Or it may be on food productions.

As these were the 5/6 markers in biology
    but i'm sure, the advs and disavds of artificial heart was in the specimen paper?

ReputationRep:
    yeah it was, but if you go up a few posts and look at what Fitzy07 wrote you may think otherwise

ReputationRep:
    1200 post WOOOHOOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimSmith1234)
    What kind of 6 mark questions have you made model answers for?? i think thats a great revision technique, but i just dont know what topics to practice writing them on :/
    Well the production of biogas is the big one. There can also be a comparison question between the 2 types of biogas generators and evaluating which one you thin is better. Then the evaluation of kidney dialysis vs kidney transplant. The food efficiency and how blood moves through the heart is another one. Then there's the usual others like ventilation, transpiration, artificial hearts, and a typical question about global warming and etc.
    Don't worry too much because although we are the first ones to be doing the exam with the new specification, the questions and their answers don't change. Good Luck. BTW, someone previously shared it but there's a youtuber who makes gcse science videos called 'myGCSEscience'. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8ja...MJxG7UUf0W0wpc
    His videos have all the topics on the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You, this is actually quite useful!!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.