Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    I got 90 ums in B1, 96 ums in B2, and 43/50 in the isa, what do you think i need for the A*?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think the paper was too bad, but got a bit confused on the last question with the portal vein. What did you guys get for that question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman7771)
    I put 0.66 with a recurring sign above.
    But it was like 0.666666666666666667?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    2/3 = 0.6 recurring, calculators put a 7 on the end cause it goes on forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davothebigafro)
    I got 90 ums in B1, 96 ums in B2, and 43/50 in the isa, what do you think i need for the A*?
    I have very similar results to these and only need a C to get an overall A*!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    Dunno, but it was 2/3, which is 0.66 recurring isn't it? Either way, I'm pretty sure you'd get something around that.

ReputationRep:
    I put 0.67 for that, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    I put 0.6 recurring sign, and I'm sure there will be some leeway for us

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should be very safe with a mark of 80

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A future Midwife)
    I have very similar results to these and only need a C to get an overall A*!
    Really? how can you be sure? the ISA ums boundaries are unknown aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekisChic)
    Didn't think the paper was too bad, but got a bit confused on the last question with the portal vein. What did you guys get for that question?
    The one about why it was higher in the vein to the liver than the vein away from it was just that the vein to the liver contained more glucose as it was absorbed from the small intenstine. However, the pancrease secreted insulin and the liver stored some of that glucose because it was too high. Therefore in the vein away from the liver the glucose concentration was lower.

The other one was basically just the opposite and glucagon was secreted by the pancreas to make it convert stored glycogen to glucose.

Tbh if you didn't get the first one right you were bound to get the second one wrong, bit harsh from AQA

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What was the question thats answer is 0.6666666666666666666667 i literally cant remember the question haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan96)
    Should be very safe with a mark of 80
    Hmmm, because our teachers said 43/50 in the ISA would be about 86 ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky Fish)
    Oh I put that on worked from the inside of the patient and one worked from the outside (iron ) but it's wrong ahhh, also advantage - not as much room taken disadvantage - could cause disese or the patient coud choke because there's a tube allowing a oath for pathogens.... whoops
    I put something very similar to that... I put that the difference is that the change of pressure in the iron lung was exterior to the patient and the second photograph changed the pressure from inside the patient.
    Advantage: The second method is cheaper than the iron lung.
    Disadvantage: Infection may occur if the tube is not sterilised properly.

ReputationRep:
    Will the grade boundaries actually affect the final mark of the triple science because i swear that those grade boundaries have already been set.

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys do for the FIRST artificial ventilation question? It was horribly worded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rashaa)
    What was the question thats answer is 0.6666666666666666666667 i literally cant remember the question haha
    Graph about leaf losing mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman7771)
    Graph about leaf losing mass.
    Oh well I got 2 for that question, I probably did it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    I'm so glad I've done with Biology now! (I did B2 as well)

I actually found B3 a lot harder than B2, and everyone in my school found it quite hard. I actually think the boundaries might be lower than people are predicting here, and the first time round the boundaries are usually quite low and there were quite a lot of 3 and 4 mark questions as opposed to quite a lot of 1 or 2 where people would have had more chance in picking up the marks.
    I did the same as you but i still have b1 left I agree i think they might be lower than what people are predicting because everyone at my school it hard as well

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.