Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    Quite bad that today was the first time I had EVER heard the phrase "transpiration stream". I initially thought it was a suggest question so talked about the H20 vapour escaping the plant via transpiration, but through the stomata (wrong direction!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Aits)
    Or alternatively you could have used your brain and just left it in fractional form?.... 2/3 will be just as creditable
    Yeah that's fine, but 0.66666666667 would be right anyway but they didn't want that as an answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGirlx)
    I got:
    91UMS in B1
    88UMS in B2
    44/50 in the ISA

Any idea what I would need in B3 to get A overall
    or what I would need in B3 to get an A* overall?

Thanks
    I would say around 83ums, but thats just en educated guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Aits)
    That's exactly what I got apart from 45/50 in the ISA haha , well 44/50 will at least be 90 UMS, so 90+91+88 = 269, which would mean you need 91UMS worst case scenario, most likely you'd need 87/88 UMS
    Thanksss, is that for an A or an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davothebigafro)
    Are the single science ISA's the same as separate science ISA's?
    Well it's just B1, the chances are that less capable students would take just the single science, so most likely the boundaries would be a bit higher, the single science boundary is just an indication, can't be certain obviously hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YazzyH)
    Quite bad that today was the first time I had EVER heard the phrase "transpiration stream". I initially thought it was a suggest question so talked about the H20 vapour escaping the plant via transpiration, but through the stomata (wrong direction!!)
    I think it was sort of mean for them to put that in as they didn't actually mention it in the spec - they only talked about evaporation..

I just wrote about the constant water loss from the leaves via evaporation and the gain in water through the roots via osmosis and some other crap

ReputationRep:
    A tiny upset at the fact I spent so much time revising kidney filtration, mycoprotein and biogas generators to death and they weren't there, but I'm not to bothered, aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I got 100 UMS for B1 and 45/50 for the ISA, roughly what UMS would i need for B2 and B3 for an overall A* (sorry, did B2 and B3 today!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beenieeee)
    a tiny upset at the fact i spent so much time revising kidney filtration, mycoprotein and biogas generators to death and they weren't there, but i'm not to bothered, aha

posted from tsr mobile
    sameeeeee bruv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneakbo2)
    The one about why it was higher in the vein to the liver than the vein away from it was just that the vein to the liver contained more glucose as it was absorbed from the small intenstine. However, the pancrease secreted insulin and the liver stored some of that glucose because it was too high. Therefore in the vein away from the liver the glucose concentration was lower.

The other one was basically just the opposite and glucagon was secreted by the pancreas to make it convert stored glycogen to glucose.

Tbh if you didn't get the first one right you were bound to get the second one wrong, bit harsh from AQA
    Thanks hopefully I'll have done well enough on the rest of the paper for the last few questions not to matter too much

ReputationRep:
    I got:
    91UMS in B1
    88UMS in B2
    44/50 in the ISA

Any idea what I would need in B3 to get A overall
    or what I would need in B3 to get an A* overall?

Thanks
    well that is similar to mine I got
    B1 100
    B2 89
    ISA 45/50 (my teacher predicted 95 UMS because its in the middle :L )

so I need around 76

I say you may need around 87 ish

ReputationRep:
    Would i still get the mark for writing 'Connary artery' instead of 'coronary artery'.

For the tadpole water exchange question i wrote carbon dioxide.

For the photograph comparison question i wrote A is negative pressure and B is positive pressure. And for the advantage of B i wrote that it is portable and easy to set up. Disadvantage: Can still burst the alveoli in the lungs.

Are any of these correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    well that is similar to mine I got
    B1 100
    B2 89
    ISA 45/50 (my teacher predicted 95 UMS because its in the middle :L )

so I need around 76

I say you may need around 87 ish
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rashaa)
    Did we have to write a conclusion for the farming one? I thought it was just advantages and disadvantages
    same i didn't put a conclusion

ReputationRep:
    would you get the mark for the iron lung and modern ventilator question if you just wrote:

- the iron lung uses a negative pressure system and the modern ventilator uses a positive pressure system

OR , did you actually have to describe how these work?

ReputationRep:
    YazzyH i would say 80UMS in b2 and b3 for an A*

ReputationRep:
    thankyou
    No problem how did the exam go and what raw mark do you think you got ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YazzyH)
    If I got 100 UMS for B1 and 45/50 for the ISA, roughly what UMS would i need for B2 and B3 for an overall A* (sorry, did B2 and B3 today!)
    Good marks, I'd say that an average of 81 on each might just scrape it?

ReputationRep:
    Instead of writing coronary artery i wrote coronary vein but i got the stents bit right i know the structure of the heart was right nd i got the last question right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    No problem how did the exam go and what raw mark do you think you got ?
    It was okay tbh, wbu?
    Probably about 46 to about 49 marks,
    wbu?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.