Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sansastark)
    The tadpole question? It seems loads more obvious now but in the exam I had no idea and started talking about the fact it had eyes and I just feel so stupid :s ugh

At least I managed to finish the paper (just) and the rest of it wasn't bad at all! (although no kidney/heart transplant stuff :c) The six marker was a gift!

I hope everyone else feels good about it! Good luck for Chemistry and Physics next week!
    I too really messed up that tadpole question, I started talking about alveoli and haemoglobin and oxyhaemoglobin

ReputationRep:
    What do you think you have to get out of 60 to get 90 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    was the very last question asking us to talk about how glucagon was secreted by the pancreas and taken in by the liver to produce glucose from glycogen and then put into the blood?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think 48 or 49/60 would be an A*? i was told that the grade boundries would be lower but how low exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerdude122)
    I don't think i've ever been this stretched for time. I was hadn't even started the last question when the invidulator said "Pens down." However, I was able to write in 2 or 3 points before they collected my paper - something about Glucagon turning glycogen (stored glucose) into glucose as the blood sugar level was too low.

However, question 7 (both parts)- I wasn't able to read the question, just wrote something related to the graph.
    Is that right?^ anyone ??
    I sneaked rushed writing in at the end too. It felt so rushed. For one of the very first questions on the heart it asked you to suggest treatment to remove the clogged up veins. I didn't even know what the problem with the heart was called yet alone a solution. I said a heart transplant :P Probably a bit extreme.

As for the last question I can't really remember what it was.

How many UMS are there available? Or does it change with each exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    in the last question, the concentration of glucose being delivered to the heart was increased, it didn't have anything to do with glucagon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HennersPD)
    What did everyone put on the diagram of the lungs with arrows on it? Letters F, G and H? Was it pulmonary artery, alveoli and pulmonary vein?
    Artery
    Capillary
    Vein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    For the first part of the tadpole question did you put oxygen?
    Yeah, I I did. I do you know if it's right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the first question did we have to say left and right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HennersPD)
    What did everyone put on the diagram of the lungs with arrows on it? Letters F, G and H? Was it pulmonary artery, alveoli and pulmonary vein?
    Wasn't that the one with the artery, vein and capillary?

And what do you have to get out of 60 to get 100 UMS :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    100 ums points on each unit. So your overall end of year grade is out of 400 ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shall we all try and contribute to carry on with the unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SportsFan)
    For the first question did we have to say left and right?
    I don't think so but i wrote it anyway you will probably get the mark even if you didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaSeSeNsItIvE)
    in the last question, the concentration of glucose being delivered to the heart was increased, it didn't have anything to do with glucagon
    Yes it has because the glucagon made in the pancreas will make the glycogen break down to glucose in the liver. The glucose is then released into your blood causing a higher concentration of glucose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    It isn't 90%, it's 90 UMS
    I have no idea what UMS is. How many UMS is each paper out of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    It isn't 90%, it's 90 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Um. Not quite. It's 90% in terms of UMS marks. Full GCSE constitutes to 400 UMS in total. To get an A*, you need 90%. Which is 360 UMS marks in total. So I guess you could say that each paper needs 90 UMS... hehe... Although you'll just need to add or minus the differences if you get higher or lower than 90 UMS per part.

ReputationRep:
    I messed up on the humidity/marathon runner question - i said as it is humid the blood gets hots and so it detected by the thermoregulatory centre, it then recalls the temperature but can't cool the person down to the humidity. - what on EARTH is WRONG with me!!!!!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.