Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    I predict 46 or 47 for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    For the six mark question I put:

The advantages of using factory farming is that it can produce a lot of yield. This is because restricting movement, controlling temperature and reducing the number of stages in a food chain contributes to less energy been wasted. Therefore the less energy wasted, the higher the yield and the higher the profit. The disadvantages is that the animals will have a low quality of life and they will be many ethical reason behind it, for example many people many think that it will be cruel to restrict movement as it is taking away their freedom. Also a disease can spread rapidly if one caught one.

How many marks you think I got?
    Did you not need to compare it with free range farming for example? That might come into it. But yes, all your points check in so if not then I'd definitely think you'd be 5/6marks.

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone send some answers they wrote to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post42616524

Making an unofficial mark scheme...

ReputationRep:
    I actually had a panic attack today!:'( And therefore was not able to take the exam!Would I be able to resit these?I don't want to retake the whole year since I already have an A* in unit 1 & I wouldn't be able to manage since I'm doing a levels this year.I heard you can retake in November?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2351258&p=42616 524#post42616524

guys submit answers here ^^
    The person is starting a mark scheme!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shelj)
    for that one i put that one contained oxygen and the other carbon dioxide, is that a mark?
    Don't think it will be unfortunately because they both carry oxygen :/ and I got 4 more science exams left urgh. Hopefully the grade boundaries go low!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me if I wrote 0.6 instead of 0.67 but had working of the equation would I get the mark?

And for the tadpole question I wrote about X increasing surface area and was thin for short diffusion path, it being streamlined and had holes at the front so it's ventilated for gas exchange would I get all the marks or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ignore that :') wrong link :L

ReputationRep:
    On the question on the tadpole one, it said what other substance does it need? Any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    Can someone please tell me if I wrote 0.6 instead of 0.67 but had working of the equation would I get the mark?

And for the tadpole question I wrote about X increasing surface area and was thin for short diffusion path, it being streamlined and had holes at the front so it's ventilated for gas exchange would I get all the marks or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 0.6 would be fine ) I put 0.666666
    Not sure about the tadpole one, everyone got different answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TameenaMushtaq)
    Was the last question about the veins? I think it had to do w insulin and glucagon and stuff. I nearly died when I was reading the names of the two veins
    Yeah i think that was the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia_14)
    I actually had a panic attack today!:'( And therefore was not able to take the exam!Would I be able to resit these?I don't want to retake the whole year since I already have an A* in unit 1 & I wouldn't be able to manage since I'm doing a levels this year.I heard you can retake in November?

you didn't do the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shelj)
    for that one i put that one contained oxygen and the other carbon dioxide, is that a mark?
    i'm not sure but i leaning towards no because the specimen paper's mark scheme was pretty strict so i don think you will get the mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kat187)
    i definately got that wrong i wrote 42 i don't remember how i got it though :mad:
    I don't know how...but I got 0.33???

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to tell you this, but I highly doubt it. You may have to take a he whole course again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote for the tadpole question:
    a) Mineral ions
    b) Structure X grew increasing the surface area, as did the tail. Structure X also branched out, further increasing surface area. It also grew eyes to help locate food and predators, and also structure X helped in locating. It also became more streamline to increase swimming speed.

How many would I get out of a total 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will get atleast one mark. I screwed up the tadpole one!!!!!!!!!! I wrote that it took it oxygen for respiration so that it could use the energy to grow and stuff. stupid tadpole.

ReputationRep:
    Was it oxygen fur the first tadpole question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I heard that we you can't retake science at A-level only english and math. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I wrote for the tadpole one about how it was adapted to its surroundings e.g. camoflauge, thinking back to it I don't think its right, any comments?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.