Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AQA Biology Unit 3 14th May 2013 NEW SPEC Watch

• View Poll Results: VOTE HERE--> What do you think the 6 marker will be?
    Explaining features/functions of the lungs
    8.15%
    Ventilation
    11.11%
    Blood flow in heart
    16.30%
    Explain Transport in blood
    5.19%
    Explain Transport in plants
    5.19%
    Evaluate kidney transplants/dialysis
    28.89%
    Explain biogas generator
    31.11%
    Other (please comment with your suggestion)
    12.59%
    The effects of global warming
    8.15%
    Evaluate the use of Artificial blood
    13.33%
    Evaluate the effectiveness of sports drinks
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly12345)
    I think 0.6 would be fine ) I put 0.666666
    Not sure about the tadpole one, everyone got different answers!
    Thank you! But I heard you weren't supposed to write about movement so I probably wouldn't get any marks for saying its streamlined

ReputationRep:
    Although I agree that this exam was on the easier side I think that the grade boundaries won't be as high as expected because of how many questions seemed to be in that particular paper - I felt slightly rushed, when usually I have about 10-15 minutes with my exam paper closed which would lead some people to a) not finish questions and b) mess up questions due to time constraints

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MightyJoeD)
    Was it oxygen fur the first tadpole question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kadenholden)
    I wrote for the tadpole one about how it was adapted to its surroundings e.g. camoflauge, thinking back to it I don't think its right, any comments?
    That was the second part, what did you put Fir 1 mark answer one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia_14)
    I actually had a panic attack today!:'( And therefore was not able to take the exam!Would I be able to resit these?I don't want to retake the whole year since I already have an A* in unit 1 & I wouldn't be able to manage since I'm doing a levels this year.I heard you can retake in November?
    I think you'd actually have to do all of the exams again because the spec is changing from next year because of the GCSE and A-Level Reform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TameenaMushtaq)
    I think you will get atleast one mark. I screwed up the tadpole one!!!!!!!!!! I wrote that it took it oxygen for respiration so that it could use the energy to grow and stuff. stupid tadpole.
    Oh no! How many marks was the tadpole??

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to tell you this, but I highly doubt it. You may have to take a he whole course again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awrr really!These panic attacks are ruining everything!I just did like a page on unit 2 and then I started panicking.So I got two U's and an A*! :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TameenaMushtaq)
    I think you will get atleast one mark. I screwed up the tadpole one!!!!!!!!!! I wrote that it took it oxygen for respiration so that it could use the energy to grow and stuff. stupid tadpole.
    I wrote that too! - that they were mitochondria and allowed quick and efficient exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide! probably got 0 for that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    Oh no! How many marks was the tadpole??
    There was like a 1 marker question then a 4 marker one, saying something like how has X adapted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was this the blood vessel f one yeah for that i wrote theres a lower pressure of blood in the vein than the artery

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote for the tadpole question:
    a) Mineral ions
    b) Structure X grew increasing the surface area, as did the tail. Structure X also branched out, further increasing surface area. It also grew eyes to help locate food and predators, and also structure X helped in locating. It also became more streamline to increase swimming speed.

How many would I get out of a total 5?

ReputationRep:
    Would I still get the mark even if I spelt aorta as "aotra" in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    For the tadpole one, I only described structure X and nothing else, will i be able to get full marks if i only said about X and increased surface area?

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see that "biology tadpole" is one of the most searched things on Twitter today. Obviously the question hasn't gone down very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmy123)
    Was this the blood vessel f one yeah for that i wrote theres a lower pressure of blood in the vein than the artery

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote about oxygenated and deoxygenated blood for that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmy123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe, I put one has deoxygenated blood, other has oxygenated blood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was it oxygen fur the first tadpole question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that's correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbybeast)
    For the tadpole one, I only described structure X and nothing else, will i be able to get full marks if i only said about X and increased surface area?
    I only put about x has a bigger surface area too. I think we may only get 1/4

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    Would I still get the mark even if I spelt aorta as "aotra" in the exam?
    Yeah you deffiently will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I asked a question on page 79 (post 1573) and no one has answered it yet...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.