Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that in borderline cases, a candidate's degree classification can be subject to change. So if someone graduates with 58%, they may still be considered for a 2:1, and someone with around 68% may be considered for a 1st.

Does anyone know how this works? Do they look at how many modules you have achieved the higher classification in, or is it calculated another way?

Thanks to anyone who helps

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university. From what I understand, the lower down the league tables you go, the more leeway you'll get, although that's based off my friend group and may not be truly indicative of the whole system.

From what I've seen it generally involves them looking at your results across the board and trying to find justification for moving you up. This can be because one tutor or lecturer speaks up for you as being a strong student, or because your results show you're generally a higher classification achiever but have been let down by one area etc. Participation in university activities (e.g. donating a lot of time towards your student union etc) may also help your case as justification for moving up a few marks.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities, eg Manchester, give extra weight to your third year if you are on the borderline - ie they reward progression. Check your uni's regulations.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.