The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamsie555
Well your college might teach it a little better than mine did... We were basically given no guidance other than we had to devise an experiment/investigation on absolutely anything we wanted from scratch. We then had 2 weeks of lessons to conduct our experiment, and then a further 2 weeks to write it up. I scraped an A in mine but I spent tens of hours on it - it was around 10,000 words in the end. None of us had any idea what we were supposed to be writing about, or how much to write - some of us went mental and wrote nearly 20,000 words, others barely wrote 2,000.

I can PM you mine so you can see the sort of thing we had to write about if you like?

Oh crumbs... that doesn't sound fun :s-smilie: . I'm absolutely hopeless at these sorts of things when I'm not given a place to start.

I'd really appreciate that, if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM :colondollar: . Thanks in advance :h:
Original post by jamsie555
pffft, that was produced by Liverpool.... :rolleyes:

This is more like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPRT07NkH4

I've seen tonnes of these and this RVC one will always be one of my favourites :biggrin:

[video="youtube;9sGf1t6-aDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGf1t6-aDk[/video]
Busy busy busy at the moment. Start fourth year next week :O :biggrin:.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I've seen tonnes of these and this RVC one will always be one of my favourites :biggrin:

[video="youtube;9sGf1t6-aDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGf1t6-aDk[/video]

Final year's every year put on a two night show - a couple of hours worth of songs, sketches, dances etc. Some filmed in advance, some done on the night. They are generally funny anyway, but generally even funnier when you know the clinician's involved and see what they have been persuaded to do!

And yes, it is one of many reasons why RVC is great!
Just got told I can get work experience at the Glasgow university vet lab! I emailed them ages ago and they said no outright. But luckily through knowing the right people I've managed to secure a few days. Can't wait!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
Just got told I can get work experience at the Glasgow university vet lab! I emailed them ages ago and they said no outright. But luckily through knowing the right people I've managed to secure a few days. Can't wait!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome news! :biggrin:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Where are you guys finding all these? It's so entertaining!! :biggrin:

They're all on YouTube, although I admit that I've mainly only seen the RVC ones :tongue: . There's one that's been up for years that's set to We Built This City by Starship, I love that :biggrin: ! Some are better than others but on the whole it's really cute to see all of the effort that goes in :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Where are you guys finding all these? It's so entertaining!! :biggrin:

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
They're all on YouTube, although I admit that I've mainly only seen the RVC ones :tongue: . There's one that's been up for years that's set me We Built This City by Starship, I love that :biggrin: ! Some are better than others but on the whole it's really cute to see all of the effort that goes in :h:

Have a search for "Nottingham Vet Revue" if you want some more entertainment, most of our sketches from the last few years are on YouTube :smile:
Is anyone going to the Liverpool open day this Saturday?

I'll be there to help out and show some of you around if you are. Best vet school ever :wink:
Reply 2130
Original post by SilverstarDJ

I'll be there to help out and show some of you around if you are. Best vet school ever :wink:

You don't know how much a train ticket from London (or down south in general) would cost do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
You don't know how much a train ticket from London (or down south in general) would cost do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in the south and it costs be £55 ish pound for a flexi return booked in advanced, however, I avoid travelling via London as this increases the price. I also have a rail card, without it I think the cost would be £70+ but this would depend on location. Buying a ticket on the day is always more expensive.

You can check ticket prices via websites like National Rail (although I normally use First Great Western as I find their site a bit easier to use).

Travelling by bus isn't really a feasible option for me as it would take too long to travel.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2132
I live in the south and it costs be £55 ish pound for a flexi return booked in advanced, however, I avoid travelling via London as this increases the price. I also have a rail card, without it I think the cost would be £70+ but this would depend on location. Buying a ticket on the day is always more expensive.

You can check ticket prices via websites like National Rail (although I normally use First Great Western as I find their site a bit easier to use).

Travelling by bus isn't really a feasible option for me as it would take too long to travel.

Hope this helps.

I live in London, so can't really avoid it :wink: but thanks! That's really useful to know.
Original post by ABC05
I live in London, so can't really avoid it :wink: but thanks! That's really useful to know.

I would mention that the train links back home would be brilliant! The train station in Liverpool is only a 20min walk / £4 taxi ride from campus and as a major junction links are regular. I think there is a train to London at least a few times per hour, apart from Sundays were there are fewer services in general. I've just remembered, If you take a slower but cheaper route you could use London Midlands to get from Liverpool to Euston. However, it does stop at almost every little station there is, but worth a shot if you want something cheaper. I think my housemate got a single for £12 or so at one point, but booked waaay in advanced.

Nope but I'm in Edinburgh instead :wink:
Haha don't worry I've already looked around Liverpool this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you older ones did the EPQ and if so what sort of topics did you think about doing them on relating to vet med?
I'll be starting mine in a month or so I think so I want to get a few ideas!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you older ones did the EPQ and if so what sort of topics did you think about doing them on relating to vet med?
I'll be starting mine in a month or so I think so I want to get a few ideas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did mine on concepts of dog training and positive and negative re-enforcement and punishment. Wasn't very good thinking back :colondollar:. Recently my dissertation was on syringomyelia in CKCS. Was rather proud :smile:.
Reply 2137
Original post by skatealexia
I did mine on concepts of dog training and positive and negative re-enforcement and punishment. Wasn't very good thinking back :colondollar:. Recently my dissertation was on syringomyelia in CKCS. Was rather proud :smile:.

I'm planning on doing my EPQ on inbreeding of dogs so might be asking you for some help later on... :smile: Did you watch Pedigree Dogs Exposed on BBC?
Hi- I'm in y12 at the mo and i'm seriously considering vetmed. I know the vetmed applications are some of the earliest to have to be in so when are the open days? Are the september2014 ones too late? Are there any in the spring and how to you apply for them?x
Original post by AnnaElsbeth97
Hi- I'm in y12 at the mo and i'm seriously considering vetmed. I know the vetmed applications are some of the earliest to have to be in so when are the open days? Are the september2014 ones too late? Are there any in the spring and how to you apply for them?x

Open days vary between unis. Details can be found on their website :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending