The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Original post by Tiffanya
Yeah it was great :tongue:

I'm not sure how to explain it but, they just meant that being a vet isn't as good as I or they thought it is? :s-smilie: and they maybe aren't happy, so they are saying to me that I shouldn't do it? That I don't really want to because it's hard.

Sorry that doesn't really make sense :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I get you completely. I had one telling me how bad the salary was considering the difficulty level of the job. Bit depressing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how to explain it but, they just meant that being a vet isn't as good as I or they thought it is? :s-smilie: and they maybe aren't happy, so they are saying to me that I shouldn't do it? That I don't really want to because it's hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hard work (even as a vet student) and I can see why some people become disillusioned with the job. All the vets I have met really like their job. It is long hours, you get some difficult clients, some parts can be tedious and you can't do everything you want to in every case and some people I've seen make you question the human race really.. BUT, then there's the part where you're the one who can make the difference, where the interesting or critical cases come in and you can save them. You actually have an influence over an animal's wellbeing because of your position. That to me, is the thing that makes it worth it (believe me I get frustrated with the profession too, I don't understand some parts of the profession or like it), but at the same time- there is really nothing else I'd rather do.
Reply 2182
Original post by skatealexia
It's hard work (even as a vet student) and I can see why some people become disillusioned with the job. All the vets I have met really like their job. It is long hours, you get some difficult clients, some parts can be tedious and you can't do everything you want to in every case and some people I've seen make you question the human race really.. BUT, then there's the part where you're the one who can make the difference, where the interesting or critical cases come in and you can save them. You actually have an influence over an animal's wellbeing because of your position. That to me, is the thing that makes it worth it (believe me I get frustrated with the profession too, I don't understand some parts of the profession or like it), but at the same time- there is really nothing else I'd rather do.

I have seen more of the difficult things about being a vet this week. I was in a practice where the clients didn't have much money and maybe didn't do as much as they should for their pets.

People came in that clearly hadn't done what the vet had told them, and blamed her when their pet didn't get any better.
I can see how frustrating it must be.

Despite this I still want to do it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skatealexia

Agreed with this, vet school and being a vet isn't as rosy as often it seems. Hours are long and money isn't great, life isn't easy!
A sartirical version of vet school is pretty much this:

Spoiler

That said it's very rewarding when you achieve and see animals come back from the brink etc.
I don't think your vets are 100% serious tbh, if they hated veterinary they wouldn't still be in the profession! You could have just got them on a bad day :tongue:
Anyone been to any open days so far? If so what did you think??

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of older vets seem to be disillusioned with their jobs. I am not sure if this is because things have changed from what they used to be or if they are getting bored with some of the monotonous jobs.

A lot of vets will say the job doesn't pay well (compared to the medics), but I personally don't think I would enjoy being a doctor. I would of course enjoy the money side of things, but I don't think my job satisfaction would be that great and to me that is more important - I want to live to work rather than work to live. Whether you think a vets salary is good or not depends on your family background too (if you parent's earn a lot you will see it as a poor salary, conversely if your parents don't earn a lot you will see it as a decent salary). I will be earning more than some (but not all) of my friends with some years of experience, but more importantly I will be able to find a vet job (some of my post grad friends have struggled to find a job relating to their degree even if they got a 2:1).

I also think the vet degree is a good science degree in general. So if you end up hating being in practice there are LOTS of avenues to go down: research, academia, pharmaceutical industry, pathology etc.
Hi
I'm hoping to get into vet med (2015 :smile: ), does anyone know what the UC Dublin vet course is like?
Reply 2187
Original post by SilverstarDJ
A lot of older vets seem to be disillusioned with their jobs. I am not sure if this is because things have changed from what they used to be or if they are getting bored with some of the monotonous jobs.

A lot of vets will say the job doesn't pay well (compared to the medics), but I personally don't think I would enjoy being a doctor. I would of course enjoy the money side of things, but I don't think my job satisfaction would be that great and to me that is more important - I want to live to work rather than work to live. Whether you think a vets salary is good or not depends on your family background too (if you parent's earn a lot you will see it as a poor salary, conversely if your parents don't earn a lot you will see it as a decent salary). I will be earning more than some (but not all) of my friends with some years of experience, but more importantly I will be able to find a vet job (some of my post grad friends have struggled to find a job relating to their degree even if they got a 2:1).

I also think the vet degree is a good science degree in general. So if you end up hating being in practice there are LOTS of avenues to go down: research, academia, pharmaceutical industry, pathology etc.

A few vets have said to me that I should be a doctor instead because there is a better salary. They have also told me if I have any doubts then don't do it, but there are so many other things to do than being in practice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any limit of how many vet schools you can apply to? If I apply to 4 UK vet schools via UCAS could I also apply to both Dublin and Warsaw?
Reply 2189
Original post by Delenelie
Is there any limit of how many vet schools you can apply to? If I apply to 4 UK vet schools via UCAS could I also apply to both Dublin and Warsaw?

Yes, because those applications aren't through UCAS. The Dublin application is through CAO, and I'm not sure how you would apply to Warsaw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dublin has INCREDIBLY high requirements so check that you think you'll meet them!
Reply 2191
Hi guys- I'm back!

I just wondered if anyone else is watching Ben Fogle's Animal Clinic on Channel 5? Wednesdays, 8pm. It's set at Leahurst, Liverpool University's vet campus. It was the first episode last Wednesday (30th), and that one is available on 5 On Demand.
If you did see it- what are other people's thoughts? I really enjoyed it!
Original post by GGKeams
Hi guys- I'm back!

I just wondered if anyone else is watching Ben Fogle's Animal Clinic on Channel 5? Wednesdays, 8pm. It's set at Leahurst, Liverpool University's vet campus. It was the first episode last Wednesday (30th), and that one is available on 5 On Demand.
If you did see it- what are other people's thoughts? I really enjoyed it!

I loved watching it too (maybe I'm a bit biased though lol ) :smile: Shame I'm not in clinical years yet.... or maybe I would have been around in the background!
Reply 2193
Hey, quick question. :smile:
I work at a kennels and cattery and get paid, does this count as work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone else found that they can't access the 2014 vet med hopefuls thread today?
Original post by Ebbsy
Has anyone else found that they can't access the 2014 vet med hopefuls thread today?

Yep :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy

Yeah it's completely gone!! :'(
Reply 2197
Original post by Sophjeff
Hey, quick question. :smile:
I work at a kennels and cattery and get paid, does this count as work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm counting my Saturday job at a livery yard as work experience, so yes, I think so.

Original post by Ebbsy

I think it might have been because they were talking about BMAT or something? I don't know really. It was really useful to see how everybody was getting along, especially as we'll be in their positions this time next year! :frown:
Original post by ABC05

I think it might have been because they were talking about BMAT or something? I don't know really. It was really useful to see how everybody was getting along, especially as we'll be in their positions this time next year! :frown:

If you're sitting the BMAT next year - good luck, you'll need it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
nooo why did they get rid of the 2014 thread?! Tho it's tempting to crash your guys' thread ( :tongue: )... Anyone here a 2014 applicant who feels like restarting it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply