Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I only realized this summer that I want to be a vet, but it's all I've really thought about since then. By the time I apply (oct 2014) i hope to have 5 A grade highers- maths, bio, chem, physics and eng and 3/4 advanced highers-chem, bio, maths and maybe R.E? In terms of wex i already have a long term placement at small animal vets- every tues after school since aug.

I plan to get-
    1 Week in large animal vet
    1 Day abbatoir
    1 day course in wildlife first aid
    Couple of days at world horse welfare farm
    1 week lambing
    Volunteer at RDA-leading horses?
    Time at farm park- not sure how long
    and possible a day working with highland cows and alpacas.

I also have a dog, rabbit which i rescued, and gerbils since the age of 7. I used to go horse riding when i was younger and now go about 3 times a year.

Do you think this will be enough, please be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophjeff)
    Hey, quick question.
    I work at a kennels and cattery and get paid, does this count as work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes it does count !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Islasummer12)
    Hi there, I only realized this summer that I want to be a vet, but it's all I've really thought about since then. By the time I apply (oct 2014) i hope to have 5 A grade highers- maths, bio, chem, physics and eng and 3/4 advanced highers-chem, bio, maths and maybe R.E? In terms of wex i already have a long term placement at small animal vets- every tues after school since aug.

I plan to get-
    1 Day abbatoir
    1 week lambing

I also have a dog, rabbit which i rescued, and gerbils since the age of 7. I used to go horse riding when i was younger and now go about 3 times a year.

Your pets won't really count at work experience but of course it's helpful having experience of caring for them. Most of the vet schools will have their minimum requirements for Work Experience.

Liverpool asks for the most. 10 weeks, with 6 being animal husbandry placements such as lambing, dairy farms, kennels etc and then 4 weeks in at least two different clinical practices. Most people will have done more than this but your weekly visits to the small animal practice should all add up to a few weeks

I volunteered with RDA horses and it was really helpful! It will improve your communication skills too because you have to encourage the riders a lot and support them.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean4)
    Your pets won't really count at work experience but of course it's helpful having experience of caring for them. Most of the vet schools will have their minimum requirements for Work Experience.

Liverpool asks for the most. 10 weeks, with 6 being animal husbandry placements such as lambing, dairy farms, kennels etc and then 4 weeks in at least two different clinical practices. Most people will have done more than this but your weekly visits to the small animal practice should all add up to a few weeks

I volunteered with RDA horses and it was really helpful! It will improve your communication skills too because you have to encourage the riders a lot and support them.

Good luck
    Thanks, I'll be applying to glasgow and edinburgh but they don't seem to have a minimum? What else should i look for?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll be applying to glasgow and edinburgh but they don't seem to have a minimum? What else should i look for?
    I wouldn't limit your chances by just applying to Scottish vet schools. Many people don't get in with four choices, so applying to just two is a bit silly I would try to book staple farm (dairy)/pig/chicken and kennels experience on top of your other work experience as many are a few days here and there without solid stuff .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I wouldn't limit your chances by just applying to Scottish vet schools. Many people don't get in with four choices, so applying to just two is a bit silly I would try to book staple farm (dairy)/pig/chicken and kennels experience on top of your other work experience as many are a few days here and there without solid stuff .
    I've been asking round for farms but can't find anyone who knows any farmers, seems a bit strange just writing to a random farmer asking for wex?

I'm just applying to scottish unis as it would be too expensive to go to others
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've been asking round for farms but can't find anyone who knows any farmers, seems a bit strange just writing to a random farmer asking for wex?

I'm just applying to scottish unis as it would be too expensive to go to others
    Expensive how? It is all government loan funded and you only pay it back when you graduate! I wouldn't risk your chances! .

I did it! I went round putting letters through random farmers doors :') xx

ReputationRep:
    Any vet students/graduates: what qualifications did you have and how much work experience when you were accepted?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone I have not been on here for a VERY long time! I apologise for my absence! How is everyone? It seems that this thread has went into a less active state since the schools resumed. I've been doing a bit of WEx recently: spent a week at the incredibly busy PDSA and got myself a part time job at Argos .

I plan to get-
    1 Day abbatoir
    1 week lambing

Hey, I am a Scottish applicant in the same year as you . The minimum grade requirements for the Scottish unis is AAAAB at Higher and BB at Adv Higher. Be careful for next year, of course if you want to do 4 AHs that's absolutely fine but it will be a HUGE commitment. Remember if you are only applying for Glasgow and Edinburgh they only ask for 2 and will primarily base their offers on two AHs. But if you plan to apply down south (you don't need to pay student fees immediately - only when you earn a certain amount of money as you begin working, plus this voids after so many years anyway) you may need 3 AHs. If you don't mind me asking as well, how did you do in your SGs/Int 2s?

Work Experience wise, what you have is good and hope to do is good. Don't overload your plan, I have noticed this far too much in this and similar threads - people plan to do X months of Work experience but there is less than a year till application time so just get the essentials as soon as you can and don't write a list of 10 places for so long as you might not even get there and there might not be enough time. What you are looking for is good however. Main things to look for are: SA vets; LA vets; kennels/catteries; dairy farm; stables; lambing and possibly abattoir. Aim for these first before anything more extravagant.

Don't feel afraid to contact farms, everyone here does it and a majority of farmers get these calls on a regular basis from pre-vet/vet students. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Hello everyone I have not been on here for a VERY long time! I apologise for my absence! How is everyone? It seems that this thread has went into a less active state since the schools resumed. I've been doing a bit of WEx recently: spent a week at the incredibly busy PDSA and got myself a part time job at Argos .

Hey, I am a Scottish applicant in the same year as you . The minimum grade requirements for the Scottish unis is AAAAB at Higher and BB at Adv Higher. Be careful for next year, of course if you want to do 4 AHs that's absolutely fine but it will be a HUGE commitment. Remember if you are only applying for Glasgow and Edinburgh they only ask for 2 and will primarily base their offers on two AHs. But if you plan to apply down south (you don't need to pay student fees immediately - only when you earn a certain amount of money as you begin working, plus this voids after so many years anyway) you may need 3 AHs. If you don't mind me asking as well, how did you do in your SGs/Int 2s?

Work Experience wise, what you have is good and hope to do is good. Don't overload your plan, I have noticed this far too much in this and similar threads - people plan to do X months of Work experience but there is less than a year till application time so just get the essentials as soon as you can and don't write a list of 10 places for so long as you might not even get there and there might not be enough time. What you are looking for is good however. Main things to look for are: SA vets; LA vets; kennels/catteries; dairy farm; stables; lambing and possibly abattoir. Aim for these first before anything more extravagant.

Don't feel afraid to contact farms, everyone here does it and a majority of farmers get these calls on a regular basis from pre-vet/vet students. Good luck

I got six 1's ans two A's at std grade/ int 2.
    Parents are bit worried about writing to random farmers as you don't know who they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Islasummer2)
    I got six 1's ans two A's at std grade/ int 2.
    Parents are bit worried about writing to random farmers as you don't know who they are.
    Well done! I was apprehensive about contacting random farmers etc too but it's the only way unless you, your parents/classmates etc know any farmers or other vetty people :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaarlotte)
    Well done! I was apprehensive about contacting random farmers etc too but it's the only way unless you, your parents/classmates etc know any farmers or other vetty people :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, i've asked all my friends, but if i managed to get a place at the lrg animal vets i'll ask them😊 failing that i'll just start writing to random ones!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest do you think that six highers would make a difference, All the unis say that its a demanding study course etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Islasummer2)
    Just out of interest do you think that six highers would make a difference, All the unis say that its a demanding study course etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just take the normal required amount of highers (not sure how many that is). Don't take extra than the university requirements. It doesn't stand in your favor any more than normal amounts of courses. Also, it is a demanding course, but I've got by fine so far with a normal amount of A levels. No use placing extra stress on yourself for no reason .

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if anyone knows other options for me? I wanted to be a vet but I only have 3 As at GCSE so not looking hopeful. I'm taking biology chemistry and maths at a level. I am a deaf student so I don't know if that could account for anything. I have volunteered at a sanctuary for two months but it closed down . Then I've applied to all veterinary practices around but haven't got in any. Now I'm starting to volenteer at a farm. Please help, I'm looking in to other options and just needed some guidance .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Hello! It's been pretty unactive recently, probably because everyone's working rather than on their holidays. I miss how the thread was in the summer, it was great! (Realise I sound very sad saying that lol) I also very much miss the prescence of LTC I wonder how she is? Yay for the Argos job, it's lovely having a bit of money isn't it? How was the PDSA w/e? I sent out emails to my local rescue and my local vet a couple of weeks ago, no reply I'm thinking of going down there in person and asking about it. Also arranged shadowing at RVC in Feb which should be great.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Long time no see! Nice to see that we have some newbies on here and that the familiar faces have stayed

(Original post by ABC05)
    Hello! It's been pretty unactive recently, probably because everyone's working rather than on their holidays. I miss how the thread was in the summer, it was great! (Realise I sound very sad saying that lol) I also very much miss the prescence of LTC I wonder how she is? Yay for the Argos job, it's lovely having a bit of money isn't it? How was the PDSA w/e? I sent out emails to my local rescue and my local vet a couple of weeks ago, no reply I'm thinking of going down there in person and asking about it. Also arranged shadowing at RVC in Feb which should be great.
    Awww, I'm good thank you :hugs: , how have you been? A-Levels going well ? I'm sorry to have abandoned the thread, school work has been eating me alive and as the idea of being a vet isn't really on the cards any more I don't have much to report, work experience wise . I've started going to the exotics vet once per week after school just out of interest (it could link to other degree courses! Biochemistry maybe?). That's really cool, the other day we had a ferret come in for x-rays and he was just the most adorable thing ever. Also, we had a call from a circus asking if we would be able to see their lion cub! It never turned up though (qualms about circus animals aside, that would have been brilliant to see). The vet is super helpful too, always taking the time to explain absolutely everything in explicit detail . So yeah, the vet is great because it doesn't take up too much time, but that's pretty much all I've done since August and I didn't even do anything over half term (aside from a trip to ComicCon :awesome: and a meal at Pizza Hut for mah birthday... the waiter gave us free cake :cool:) I haven't even been to my gorgeous farm in about two months , although to be fair I went for a lovely meal with my farm family yesterday (two of them are leaving, one to be a farm manager up North on a similar set-up, one to be an RSPCA officer), which was nice :blush: . Nothing else much to say really. Oh, sadly health problems caught up with my remaining ratties, but I've got some rescue boysies now and I'm hopefully getting some girls from the RSPCA some time soon (the boys have been castrated), so that will be something to look forward to

That shadowing at the RVC sounds ace! Which department is it in?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just to say I have an interview for Glasgow next month

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Awww, I'm good thank you :hugs: , how have you been? A-Levels going well ? I'm sorry to have abandoned the thread, school work has been eating me alive and as the idea of being a vet isn't really on the cards any more I don't have much to report, work experience wise . I've started going to the exotics vet once per week after school just out of interest (it could link to other degree courses! Biochemistry maybe?). That's really cool, the other day we had a ferret come in for x-rays and he was just the most adorable thing ever. Also, we had a call from a circus asking if we would be able to see their lion cub! It never turned up though (qualms about circus animals aside, that would have been brilliant to see). The vet is super helpful too, always taking the time to explain absolutely everything in explicit detail . So yeah, the vet is great because it doesn't take up too much time, but that's pretty much all I've done since August and I didn't even do anything over half term (aside from a trip to ComicCon :awesome: and a meal at Pizza Hut for mah birthday... the waiter gave us free cake :cool:) I haven't even been to my gorgeous farm in about two months , although to be fair I went for a lovely meal with my farm family yesterday (two of them are leaving, one to be a farm manager up North on a similar set-up, one to be an RSPCA officer), which was nice :blush: . Nothing else much to say really. Oh, sadly health problems caught up with my remaining ratties, but I've got some rescue boysies now and I'm hopefully getting some girls from the RSPCA some time soon (the boys have been castrated), so that will be something to look forward to

That shadowing at the RVC sounds ace! Which department is it in?
    I'm alright, just about surviving! Nah, they're not that horrendous, it's just things pile up and then it gets ridiculously stressful and blegh. I'm also doing an EPQ which is v. interesting but also lots of work! How are A-Levels going for you? Ooh your exotics vet sounds fabulous, I wish every vet we did w/e with was like him! Lion cub would be interesting to see, any idea why it didn't turn up? Although I agree with you about being hesitant re the circus, didn't even know that keeping big cats in circuses was legal in the UK?! Meal sounds good, farm family sounds lovely, shame some of them are leaving though! That's a shame about your rats, but yay for new ratties We need pictures! They sound great, and kudos for you for getting them through the RSPCA rather than a breeder And I have no idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay that's great news, fingers crossed that it all goes well.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations 😀

What grades/wex have you done to get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.