The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ABC05
I'm alright, just about surviving! Nah, they're not that horrendous, it's just things pile up and then it gets ridiculously stressful and blegh. I'm also doing an EPQ which is v. interesting but also lots of work! How are A-Levels going for you? Ooh your exotics vet sounds fabulous, I wish every vet we did w/e with was like him! Lion cub would be interesting to see, any idea why it didn't turn up? Although I agree with you about being hesitant re the circus, didn't even know that keeping big cats in circuses was legal in the UK?! :frown: Meal sounds good, farm family sounds lovely, shame some of them are leaving though! That's a shame about your rats, but yay for new ratties :biggrin: We need pictures! They sound great, and kudos for you for getting them through the RSPCA rather than a breeder :smile: And I have no idea!

Yay that's great news, fingers crossed that it all goes well. :smile:

Haha yeah, tell me about it. There hasn't been a single day this week that I've been able to go to sleep before 2:00am. The work isn't hard as such, there's just too much of it :frown: I think the lion was quite far away, which is why they didn't show up. Originally they had called the branch's massive hospital but they told them to ring up our little practice, 'cause obviously lions are pretty damn exotic :tongue: I'll post some pictures of my new ratties as soon as I can (Large rescue centres rarely have many rats up for adoption; and a lot of rat breeders foster/rescue rats as well as breeding them. The breeder that I've got some of mine from in the past has a waiting list as long as your arm because they don't breed until all potential kittens have homes waiting for them. I appreciate your point, but as breeders go I find ratty people to be very responsible :wink: ) Haha, did you literally just phone them up and ask if you could go? :lol:

Original post by chaarlotte
Hey, just to say I have an interview for Glasgow next month :smile:

Fantastic news, good for you and congratulations! :biggrin: When are you having it? :smile:
Thanks guys!! :biggrin: it's on the 12th December :smile:

Original post by Islasummer2
Congratulations 😀

What grades/wex have you done to get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 5As in my Scottish highers and the wex I applied with was: SA vets, dairy farm, petting zoo/exotics farm, lab and volunteering at cats protection league. It's not a lot but quality over quantity IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2222
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Haha yeah, tell me about it. There hasn't been a single day this week that I've been able to go to sleep before 2:00am. The work isn't hard as such, there's just too much of it :frown: I think the lion was quite far away, which is why they didn't show up. Originally they had called the branch's massive hospital but they told them to ring up our little practice, 'cause obviously lions are pretty damn exotic :tongue: I'll post some pictures of my new ratties as soon as I can (Large rescue centres rarely have many rats up for adoption; and a lot of rat breeders foster/rescue rats as well as breeding them. The breeder that I've got some of mine from in the past has a waiting list as long as your arm because they don't breed until all potential kittens have homes waiting for them. I appreciate your point, but as breeders go I find ratty people to be very responsible :wink: ) Haha, did you literally just phone them up and ask if you could go? :lol:

Ahh I see, because I'm so used to seeing so many unwanted Staffies that have been bred indiscriminately I suppose I'm very pro-rescue, but good to know that ratty breeders are responsible :smile: No, I got it through my school as we have a shadowing day :smile:
Reply 2223
Hiya,

Can any of you guys who have done your AS's remember what it was like in the first few months? I'm just curious to find out if you thought it was difficult to adjust to or whether in your opinion it was fairly easy.
I am a very good panic-er and just recently in end of chapter tests and assessments the grades I've been getting have been not what I was after. I probably am just panicking but none of my friends seem particularly worried and spend all their frees just chatting and not doing much and yet they don't seem to be struggling at all. I've said to my teachers at school that I would like to get AABB minimum just because I know how competitive VetMed is as a course and I want to give myself the best chance possible. I know I am probably over reacting etc, but I'd just be interested to know how other people who have done their AS levels felt when they first started.

Thank You :smile:
Reply 2224
Original post by HJames
Hiya,

Can any of you guys who have done your AS's remember what it was like in the first few months? I'm just curious to find out if you thought it was difficult to adjust to or whether in your opinion it was fairly easy.
I am a very good panic-er and just recently in end of chapter tests and assessments the grades I've been getting have been not what I was after. I probably am just panicking but none of my friends seem particularly worried and spend all their frees just chatting and not doing much and yet they don't seem to be struggling at all. I've said to my teachers at school that I would like to get AABB minimum just because I know how competitive VetMed is as a course and I want to give myself the best chance possible. I know I am probably over reacting etc, but I'd just be interested to know how other people who have done their AS levels felt when they first started.

Chemistry and Maths I found pretty easy to adjust to. I took Triple Science and Additional maths at GCSE so found the topics in the first few months more of a progression from what I had already learnt. Biology I found more difficult to get used to, generally due to the sheer work load we got.
I think the main thing is you just have to learn to answer the questions differently compared to those at GCSE. The A level questions require a lot more detail and depth of knowledge, and key words are pretty essential when answering the questions. If you keep on top of all your topics, try reading ahead (I said I'd do this, but ended up with so much revision and hw it became virtually impossible, but do try!) and answer as many practice questions/exam questions as possible and look at the mark schemes, then I'm sure you'll do fantastically!

I wish I had the same motivation this year as I did last year. I need to take on some of my own advice :P
Reply 2225
Are there AS-level grade requirements for vet school? Do you have to get certain grades at AS-level or are the predicted grades the ones that matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Are there AS-level grade requirements for vet school? Do you have to get certain grades at AS-level or are the predicted grades the ones that matter?

I'm not sure so take this with a pinch of salt, but technically I think it's A2 predictions that matter. However, you're not going to get good predictions if your AS grades aren't up to scratch, and I imagine that universities wouldn't look to favourably at a string of Es for AS, regardless of A2 predictions :tongue:
Original post by ABC05

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Cambridge like to see 90+ UMS at AS level, but as for the others, it's predicted ones that matter more I think. Of course, they have to be realistic predictions.
Reply 2228
Original post by Silver_moon
I'm wondering if anyone knows other options for me? I wanted to be a vet but I only have 3 As at GCSE so not looking hopeful. I'm taking biology chemistry and maths at a level. I am a deaf student so I don't know if that could account for anything. I have volunteered at a sanctuary for two months but it closed down . Then I've applied to all veterinary practices around but haven't got in any. Now I'm starting to volunteer at a farm. Please help, I'm looking in to other options and just needed some guidance .

Don't give up! Work experience is a nightmare if you dont know anybody but if you get some with local farms, stables etc then you might get a link to a vet! The sanctuary WEX sounds great.
I was looking up other courses and dependent on A level results thinking biochemistry or pharmaceuticals looks interesting if you dont get the top grades. Go and speak to your careers advisor at school, im sure they will have sime advice.
Original post by HJames
Hiya,

I found chemistry fine once I'd got a handle on my specification and technique- I just memorised the revision guides and did a lot of past papers. Took me a few months to get from borderline A to solid A in class tests though. Maths I started off flying as I'd done it before for AS without taking the exams for two years- but I did struggle later on, again it is the practice and doing as many practice questions as possible and understanding concepts. I found biology hardest ironically, and took me a few months to figure out what they were looking for. In class tests for biology I would get Cs and not care, as when my revision was complete at exams I always got As. I think there is a bigger initial jump and even now I don't know my actual grade until the exam as I will know it thoroughly and deeply not at the surface with notes like at the class tests. :smile:.
Reply 2230
hiya im new to this thread i want to be a vet, im taking biology,chemistry,maths&geography and enjoying them all! For wex i've done 2 weeks at kennels/cattery 1 week small animal practice (watching operations and consults) and since september ive been going weekly to my local vet practice (a different one) and helping out and watching and stuff got to help process blood samples last weekend!! next year i've got a farm for a week, a equine practice for a week, lambing, a week at a zoo, a riding stables (im fine with horses anyway - we have 2 and one lives at my house 8 months of the year so im pretty fine with horsecare and riding etc!) and a day at an abbatoir. will this be enough wex? thanks :smile: good luck to everyone else hoping to apply etc! :biggrin:
Original post by ~Fort
hiya im new to this thread i want to be a vet, im taking biology,chemistry,maths&geography and enjoying them all! For wex i've done 2 weeks at kennels/cattery 1 week small animal practice (watching operations and consults) and since september ive been going weekly to my local vet practice (a different one) and helping out and watching and stuff got to help process blood samples last weekend!! next year i've got a farm for a week, a equine practice for a week, lambing, a week at a zoo, a riding stables (im fine with horses anyway - we have 2 and one lives at my house 8 months of the year so im pretty fine with horsecare and riding etc!) and a day at an abbatoir. will this be enough wex? thanks :smile: good luck to everyone else hoping to apply etc! :biggrin:

Hey, welcome to the thread! :biggrin:

Your work experience sounds good so far and the stuff you have booked for next year sounds exciting! :biggrin: That many weeks will meet Liverpool's requirements and you have plenty of variety so you're off to a good start! :smile:
Hi my name is Hannah and I'm new to this thread. I live in Scotland and am a hopeful vet too.

I haven't had that much work experience yet which I'm worried about because I know I'll need a lot more and I'm running out of time!

So far I have done
- a week at a dairy farm
- a week of wex at my local vets after weekly volunteering there for 6 months.

I am waiting to hear back from my local cat and dog rescue centre where I hope to volunteer a few hours a week for a year. I have arranged
- a week next year at one large animal clinic
- a week at a mixed practice (which will hopefully include lambing)
- I also am getting 3 days at a non-organic dairy farm (mainly so I have seen and understand both)

Anyone know of equine centres that are near edinburgh which may take me on for wex?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haaaannnaaah
Hi my name is Hannah and I'm new to this thread. I live in Scotland and am a hopeful vet too.

I haven't had that much work experience yet which I'm worried about because I know I'll need a lot more and I'm running out of time!

Anyone know of equine centres that are near edinburgh which may take me on for wex?

Hello Hannah! Welcome to the thread :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about your work experience because what you've done and what you have planned is a great start. You have almost an entire year to get a bit more under your belt and what you've done so far is really varied :h:

I don't live anywhere near Edinburgh (London FTW!) so I'm afraid I don't personally know of any equine places, however I'd recommend the RCVS' Find A Vet service. You can filter search results based on the animals treated at each practice :smile: Hope that helped a little bit!

EDIT: Is this any good? It looks as if it's in the Southern outskirts of Edinburgh and there's a bus stop 10 minutes up the road from it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

I don't live anywhere near Edinburgh (London FTW!) so I'm afraid I don't personally know of any equine places, however I'd recommend the RCVS' Find A Vet service. You can filter search results based on the animals treated at each practice :smile: Hope that helped a little bit!

EDIT: Is this any good? It looks as if it's in the Southern outskirts of Edinburgh and there's a bus stop 10 minutes up the road from it :smile:

Thank you so much! this is so useful! I will be in touch with that equine practice tomorrow! :smile:

My dad also just told me that his colleagues boss is Head Vet. at the emergency practice in Edinburgh and would be willing to take me on at weekends if I wanted which is fab!

Is anyone here attending Vet-Medlink next week in Nottingham? I am so let me know, would be good to get to know some before I leave.
Reply 2235
Hi there, I'm Lucy and I hope to study Vet Med too! I gained 10 A*s at GCSE and I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, maths and French. I am confident that I will get the grades but I'm worried about work experience. Here is what I've done so far
-2 weeks at SA hospital
-4 years at 2 different riding schools (small and competition yard)
-2 weeks lambing
(it's not a lot, I know...)

I plan to do:
- I have 1 week booked a another SA clinic with the offer of volunteering every week after that
- 1 week at a pig farm
- a day at an abbatoir
- a couple of weeks at the Blue Cross

I also am doing my Gold DofE, run regularly for a club, compete at skill-at-arms (mounted military sport) and I am Grade 6 on Cello.

I would be so grateful for any advice on how I could improve this profile :smile:
Original post by lucyac
Hi there, I'm Lucy and I hope to study Vet Med too!

I would be so grateful for any advice on how I could improve this profile :smile:

Some work at a large animal practice would be helpful. To be honest your work experience is pretty good considering that you still have the best part of a year to cram more in. So apart from what you already have planned I'd suggest at least a week of work at a LA practice, perhaps a week at a dairy farm, and then if you have the time a week at a zoo or something (although to be fair you'll already have the abattoir as one of the rarer placements so that's nowhere near necessary). The rest of your application (grades, ECs) is basically perfect.

More information here
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2237
Some work at a large animal practice would be helpful. To be honest your work experience is pretty good considering that you still have the best part of a year to cram more in. So apart from what you already have planned I'd suggest at least a week of work at a LA practice, perhaps a week at a dairy farm, and then if you have the time a week at a zoo or something (although to be fair you'll already have the abattoir as one of the rarer placements so that's nowhere near necessary). The rest of your application (grades, ECs) is basically perfect.

More information here

Thank you for your help, the competition for this stuff is so crazy that I just want to make sure everything is as good as it can be!
Original post by lucyac
Thank you for your help, the competition for this stuff is so crazy that I just want to make sure everything is as good as it can be!

It certainly is! Do you have any ideas where you might be applying yet? :smile:
Just wondering, those of you who have had work experience at an abattoir, did you get in through the abattoir or did you go with an inspector/vet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest