The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser

[video="youtube;81szj1vpEu8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81szj1vpEu8[/video]

I may or may not have a kangaroo onesie very similar to that one, that I may or may not have worn to school once (it was for Children in Need, don't judge me :cool: :tongue: ).

I almost died of laughing :lol: I havent seen that remi before!

Also - my experience of uni is pretty much onesies for parties - I own a fox, gorilla and a tiger. As well as several other costumes :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by melancholyblues
Hey guys :smile: I'm new to this thread, and just wanted to say a quick hi :colondollar:
So if you hadn't guessed, I'm hoping to apply for vetmed 2015 (Edinburgh is my absolute DREAMMM!!) Problem is, My GCSE's really weren't up to scratch :s-smilie: I got 2A's, 4B's and 2C's (and a pass in BTEC pe) I'm finding it REALLY hard to get experience :frown: Im doing Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and Maths stats AS, and I'm doing alright in all of them except maths :/
stressing out majorly :frown: anyone got any advice? (sorry for the long post xx)

Hey there, welcome to the thread :smile:

I wouldn't worry about your GCSEs. What Sherlock-4869 has been told sounds very positive and they won't be the only university to disregard GCSEs provided that your A-Levels are up to scratch. I'm totally with you for maths, currently working on an E :')

What experience do you have so far and whereabouts are you based? There may be some people on here who can provide contacts :smile:
*Growls*

So the farm I used to go to emailed to ask if I'd like to be happy to work there for a few days over the Christmas break.

I said yes, but told them that as I have mock exams immediately after the holiday I can only really afford to do a couple of days. I sent them a list of dates that I could theoretically do, and let them choose my days because they would know when the best days would be due to staffing etc.

I checked the rota today, and they've given me a grand total three days off.

Thanks so much for giving me tomorrow and Christmas and boxing day off though, that's super ****ing generous of you thanks a lot.

It's a good thing that you don't have paid employees including casual workers. No, getting the people that you pay to do the work to actually do the work would be stupid as hell. Everybody knows that Tails has an endless supply of free time and that she'll ****ing bend over backwards for you and basically be your doormat.

Apologies for the rant. I needed a grumble because I really don't appreciate being treated like a ****ing well of free labour, especially as I'm no longer interested in doing veterinary so this really isn't going to help me any more :cry: . I was happy to do this in the summer because I had no work and besides, back then I was actually interested. Now it just feels like I'm being exploited because I refuse to let them pay me, because that way I wouldn't feel bad for not being able to go when they asked me to.

I'd feel guilty about telling them that I can't go any more because technically I did offer. It's just, I gave them an inch and they took a mile, y'know? Someone please tell me that I'm not being unreasonable :cry: . It's just that I have a life and it doesn't revolve around cows and bunny rabbits any more.

*Runs away with tail between legs*
(edited 10 years ago)
x

Contact them and tell them that you can't do that many days. Say you have exams. If they get funny, you can claim the high ground and say that you're not paid. :smile:

You're being perfectly reasonable!
Reply 2264
LTC, I know it's hard, but seriously, tell them that you're unwilling to do it. You never said that you'd work that many days in the first place, they're obviously lacking employees and are just taking advantage of you. I'm working Boxing Day and a few days in the New Year as my boss is going through a bit of a rough patch at the minute but that doesn't mean that I'm going to dedicate every minute of my Christmas hols to working (which is a 2 hour bus ride away, so not exactly the most easy place to get to!). I know how you feel, it's a tricky situation. :frown:
I've organised my first day of lambing for tommorow, any hints and tips would be gratefully appreciated! What should i expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Islasummer2
I've organised my first day of lambing for tommorow, any hints and tips would be gratefully appreciated! What should i expect?

You're a lot braver than I. I wouldn't fancy lambing in this weather! :tongue:

I'm afraid that personally I don't have any advice, but have you had a look here? :smile:

Good luck! :smile: Hope you have fun.
Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi- haven't been on this in a while. I hope you are having a good Christmas holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're a lot braver than I. I wouldn't fancy lambing in this weather! :tongue:

I'm afraid that personally I don't have any advice, but have you had a look here? :smile:

Good luck! :smile: Hope you have fun.

Thanks for the link๐Ÿ˜„ The weather wasn't too bad and all the ewes that were lambing were in the barn cos that certain breed don't make too good parents apparently๐Ÿ˜„

I managed to see one lamb being born and i'm hopefully going back in the spring when the majority of the sheep are lambing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelhannah
Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi- haven't been on this in a while. I hope you are having a good Christmas holiday!

Hey :smile: . We haven't heard from you for some time, how are things? :smile:

Thanks for the link. The weather wasn't too bad and all the ewes that were lambing were in the barn cos that certain breed don't make too good parents apparently.

I managed to see one lamb being born and i'm hopefully going back in the spring when the majority of the sheep are lambing.

Ooooh, which breed were they? It's a shame that you only got to see one lamb being born, but it should be something to look forward to in spring :h:

Ooooh, which breed were they? It's a shame that you only got to see one lamb being born, but it should be something to look forward to in spring :h:

Sulfolk, i think is what the farmer said, she said that most of the lambs were born during the night but in the spring there's about 200 sheep lambing and some of them need bottle fed๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfolk, i think is what the farmer said, she said that most of the lambs were born during the night but in the spring there's about 200 sheep lambing and some of them need bottle fed

Bottle feeding lil' lambsies is so cute, you'll love it :biggrin: . I miss feeding the little guys and girls at the farm I go to, but they're all grown up now :redface:
Merry Christmas to my vetty friends :smile:

Reply 2273
Merry Christmas everyone! It's crazy to think that this time next year we'll be waiting for/receiving offers :redface: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, sorry- I've so busy lately! :smile: good thanks, how are things with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelhannah
I know, sorry- I've so busy lately! :smile: good thanks, how are things with you?

Heh, busy as well but alright :tongue:
Reply 2276
Hello everyone, I'm another 2015 vet hopeful! I've been following the thread for a while but this is my first time actually posting so please be nice!

I haven't really decided which universities I'd like to apply to and I haven't been to any open days yet (why are they all on school days? Arrgghhh. I am, however, getting the grades that I need so far (taking bio, chem, maths and geo), and I have a fair bit of work experience.

I'm starting at a kennel tomorrow actually, does anyone have any recommendations of what I should wear?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ferret X
Hello everyone, I'm another 2015 vet hopeful! I've been following the thread for a while but this is my first time actually posting so please be nice!

I haven't really decided which universities I'd like to apply to and I haven't been to any open days yet (why are they all on school days? Arrgghhh. I am, however, getting the grades that I need so far (taking bio, chem, maths and geo), and I have a fair bit of work experience.

I'm starting at a kennel tomorrow actually, does anyone have any recommendations of what I should wear?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck. I don't think ALL open days are at weekend since I've worked on some of them at Liverpool on a Saturday. I agree it is a bit annoying when they do fall on weekdays, but they are still useful and really helped me narrow my choices and also speak to the students who were really helpful :smile: I think some unis give you a tour if you get an interview, but not 100% sure which ones do and which ones don't.

Let me know if you want to know anything about Liverpool in particular as I'm a 3rd year vet there :smile:

Also, feel free to post your work exp. on here if you ever need advise as to what you might be lacking etc.

Hope everyone is having a nice xmas break :smile:
Reply 2278
Ok, I'll definately see if I can go to some open days.

Haha okay. How'd you mean list it? Like the weeks I've done at different places and stuff? In that case

2 weeks vet practise
2 weeks at another vet practise
2 weeks at a horse vet
1 week at a rescue center
1 week at a different rescue center
2 weeks of lambing
3 weeks at a petting zoo
1 week zoo (but it was on the farmy bit again, not the tigers or anything)
2 weeks at a dairy farm
2 weeks at a stable
1 week at a pet shop
and after this week 1 week at a kennel

Thanks, you too :smile:
I know I don't be I much anymore...:colondollar: But just wanted to say, happy 2014 everyone! Just think, next year will be application time, and boy, does it fly in fast!!

So I hope 2014 is a great year for you all, and good luck in the January exams! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest