Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
My biology teacher, apparently :tongue:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16636297
http://www.raysahelian.com/phospholipids.html

Two urls above I think explain it, the second one very well :smile:
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I'm not a horsey (nor a sporty) person. I met people through young farmer's club which was good as I shared a common interest in (farm) animals (I'm not from a farming bg) & some of the farmers there who were willing to share their knowledge with me :smile:

I did some art classes too and got to meet some nice people, but as I was 16 and most were the same age as my mum or older I didn't really form close bonds with those people.

yes, I was considering joining YFC, it looks really good! I started archery on Friday in the hope of sort of... Coming out of my shell :tongue:

Could someone please explain to me why choline is present in phospholipid molecules?

Apologies again for being in the wrong place :colondollar: . This is place is better than that AS bio thread for getting answers :redface:

Ta :h:

never heard of choline, only acetylcholine :tongue:
I have a bit of dilemma about trying to get hold of work experience and if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach his, i would be quite grateful.

So, there's an equine vets next to my sister's riding school and we asked about getting work experience there. They said they did work experience but has to be organised via the main office. So my mum rang up for me(this was around November time), and the woman at head office told us she would get back to us in a month or so, when they started booking work experience for the year. So around a month later, we heard nothing from them, so we waited a few more weeks encase they were busy or something. We ended up contacting them back and they suggested two weeks for us, and to let them know. So now, my mum and i have emailed them multiple time, whenever we phone, nobodies in that can speak to us and no replies. So does anyone know what i should do? I think this Work Expo will be important on my portfolio as i haven't done anything with horses yet. :s-smilie:

Thanks~
Original post by LadyEcliptic

never heard of choline, only acetylcholine :tongue:

The clue in the name - it's choline with an acetyl group attached to it :wink:
Original post by chocolateshake
I have a bit of dilemma about trying to get hold of work experience and if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach his, i would be quite grateful.

So, there's an equine vets next to my sister's riding school and we asked about getting work experience there. They said they did work experience but has to be organised via the main office. So my mum rang up for me(this was around November time), and the woman at head office told us she would get back to us in a month or so, when they started booking work experience for the year. So around a month later, we heard nothing from them, so we waited a few more weeks encase they were busy or something. We ended up contacting them back and they suggested two weeks for us, and to let them know. So now, my mum and i have emailed them multiple time, whenever we phone, nobodies in that can speak to us and no replies. So does anyone know what i should do? I think this Work Expo will be important on my portfolio as i haven't done anything with horses yet. :s-smilie:

Thanks~

keep pestering them, although, it might be safer just to go out and talk to them face to face and just get your weeks booked then and there - same thing happened with me, I've been told placements will call me back - that was June and no one has gotten back, so I went out face to face and they said to come and book a placement because they only take people around a certain time, so you just have to be persistent!
If you can't get equine vets, getting out to the stables for a week or 2 is the next best thing :smile:

Original post by SilverstarDJ
The clue in the name - it's choline with an acetyl group attached to it :wink:

hee hee, we never learned it for AS, only A2 muscle contraction (acetylcholine, that is!)
it all makes sense now...
Reply 2365

Thanks~

I would go and talk to them face to face :smile:
for my gcse's i got 4 A*s, 4 A's and 2 Bs, but might be resitting one of the B's or both in june, are my gcse's even good enough to apply, for AS im predicted all A's
Original post by natasha_rainey
for my gcse's i got 4 A*s, 4 A's and 2 Bs, but might be resitting one of the B's or both in june, are my gcse's even good enough to apply, for AS im predicted all A's

Most likely yes they will be fine, but what are the Bs in? As long as you have As/A*s in science, maths and English then you're grand.

Thanks~

Are you already doing A Levels? Have you thought of a more practical course like BTEC Agriculture? You'd get an A Level equivalent then, as well as some practical experience.
Hi everyone, just wondering about entry requirements for UK veterinary UNI's needed for graduate entry. I know UCD require a GAMSAT, 2:1 honours degree and some work exp, but for some of the UK uni's they also want A's and B's from your A levels, or Irish leaving cert. Is this not a bit stupid considering that the majority of students are applying the graduate route as they didn't get the required grades...and is this the case for all UK Uni's or just a few. I e-mailed Nottingham and was told I would need to resit those exams, even if I got a top class honours degree in Animal science, which deals with chemistry and biology in a lot more detail!
Most likely yes they will be fine, but what are the Bs in? As long as you have As/A*s in science, maths and English then you're grand.

thats the problem one of the b's is in maths, it was 7 ums off an A ah
Original post by natasha_rainey
thats the problem one of the b's is in maths, it was 7 ums off an A ah

RVCs GCSE requirements for BVetMed are: At least five A grades including: ‘Double Science*’ award or "Science and Additional Science"at AA (or an A in Biology and A in Chemistry if taken as separate GCSEs) And grade A or B in: English Language, Mathematics, Physics (if taken as a separate GCSE)

So you'd be fine to apply with your existing GCSES grades provided you have AAA predictions and enough work experience :smile:
Reply 2372
Original post by alexacarroll
Are you already doing A Levels? Have you thought of a more practical course like BTEC Agriculture? You'd get an A Level equivalent then, as well as some practical experience.

Pretty sure that for vet school, A-Levels are preferable over BTECs, & I don't think Ag BTEC would count towards work experience.
I think you have to have other qualifications if you are applying with BTECs, but each university has different requirements!

I meant to ask, can anyone help me regarding my own application? Please cheese, I'm quite stuck with things at the moment if anyone has the time :colondollar:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I think you have to have other qualifications if you are applying with BTECs, but each university has different requirements!

I meant to ask, can anyone help me regarding my own application? Please cheese, I'm quite stuck with things at the moment if anyone has the time :colondollar:

I'll probably be useless but I'll try? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you do need Science A Levels as well as the BTEC but it's acceptable as one of the qualifications. ABC05 A levels aren't preferred - they're essential - but the BTEC is also acceptable with them, as a combination. I can't see how the practical experience wouldn't count - obviously anyone putting together a serious application is going to seek work experience extra to their course as well but what I've found is that the practical element is another string to the bow to put on the personal statement, and the course focuses on Animal husbandry and management. The units are: Animal anatomy & physiology, Agricultural Livestock Production, Animal Health, Land Based Machinery Operations, Business Planning and Improvement in the Land Based Sector, Livestock Husbandry. It gives you a whole overview of the sector and the course I've been thinking of gives you a day a week at a fantastic campus, Newton Rigg, including a brand new £2m dairy unit, Beef suckler herd of 30 Aberdeen Angus cows, Lowland flock etc etc. fantastic way to get first hand experience of the sector...
Reply 2376
Yes, you do need Science A Levels as well as the BTEC but it's acceptable as one of the qualifications. ABC05 A levels aren't preferred - they're essential - but the BTEC is also acceptable with them, as a combination. I can't see how the practical experience wouldn't count - obviously anyone putting together a serious application is going to seek work experience extra to their course as well but what I've found is that the practical element is another string to the bow to put on the personal statement, and the course focuses on Animal husbandry and management. The units are: Animal anatomy & physiology, Agricultural Livestock Production, Animal Health, Land Based Machinery Operations, Business Planning and Improvement in the Land Based Sector, Livestock Husbandry. It gives you a whole overview of the sector and the course I've been thinking of gives you a day a week at a fantastic campus, Newton Rigg, including a brand new £2m dairy unit, Beef suckler herd of 30 Aberdeen Angus cows, Lowland flock etc etc. fantastic way to get first hand experience of the sector...

Ahh I see- my mistake, thought you meant instead of! Sounds brilliant.

On paper that sounds like a good idea but in reality I think that it would be incredibly difficult to find the time for 4+ AS levels including homework, a BTEC, extracurricular activities, normal work experience and a social life. If you were a reapp who already had the required A2 grades then fair enough, but otherwise you'd have to live without sleep for two years :tongue:
Does anyone here know what Bioveterinary Science entails? I know what VetMed does. Is it like a Biomedical Scientist (blood tests, urine sampling, etc.) but for animals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
On paper that sounds like a good idea but in reality I think that it would be incredibly difficult to find the time for 4+ AS levels including homework, a BTEC, extracurricular activities, normal work experience and a social life. If you were a reapp who already had the required A2 grades then fair enough, but otherwise you'd have to live without sleep for two years :tongue:

It isn't really an extra thing to do, I wouldn't advise the extra work as it doesn't really give an advantage, neither would the course experience count as extra really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending