Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Tarnia's advice is very good

Personally:
    For my own vet (or anyone I knew personally) I would ask in person or by email. If I knew them less well then I might send a letter.

For farms (dairy, lambing etc)I would phone, although remember that farmers are often busy and the best time to call may be quite late (I'd suggest around 6:00ish). I also phoned for stable work.

For kennels I sent a letter, and for all others I emailed.

Personally I don't use a CV although I do go into some depth with cover letters so I don't think they're necessary. My current CV was written in year 10 so is horrifically outdated now!
    That's very helpful thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it looks like I won't be going to vet school, as I'm struggling to get a B in physics, definitely regret taking it now but oh well! So veterinary nursing is now my aimed route, which I still believe will be a rewarding career :-)) wish everyone the best with their journeys!
    Anyway, currently doing work experience I Chessington zoo and I'm having such a good time :-)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateshake)
    Unfortunately it looks like I won't be going to vet school, as I'm struggling to get a B in physics, definitely regret taking it now but oh well! So veterinary nursing is now my aimed route, which I still believe will be a rewarding career :-)) wish everyone the best with their journeys!
    Anyway, currently doing work experience I Chessington zoo and I'm having such a good time :-)
    Sorry to hear that you're not having the best of times with physics A lot of people find it difficult and I know several people who dropped it after only a couple of weeks. I'm really glad that you've found a route that you thinks suits you better . For the record I always thought that you came across as really dedicated and passionate and that you'd make a fantastic vet, but as you say nursing is equally as important and rewarding (plus, they get all the best jobs ) and I wish you the best of luck with that

Chessington Zoo sounds awesome! What animals are you getting to work with?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you're not having the best of times with physics A lot of people find it difficult and I know several people who dropped it after only a couple of weeks. I'm really glad that you've found a route that you thinks suits you better . For the record I always thought that you came across as really dedicated and passionate and that you'd make a fantastic vet, but as you say nursing is equally as important and rewarding (plus, they get all the best jobs ) and I wish you the best of luck with that

Chessington Zoo sounds awesome! What animals are you getting to work with?
    Thank you very much! That means an awful lot! And yeah, at the beginning of year 12 you're allowed to swap a subject for another if it's in the first 2 weeks and I was considering it but my physics teachers talked me out it, but I don't blame them because I'm surprised they don't hate me by the number of times I come and find them when I'm stuck on a question! And yeah, I was quite upset at first when the realistatuon happened, but after having some in depth conversations with nurses at the practice I work at, I think a career In nursing would be more suited to me :-)
    And primates and birds! Whilst the birds were very cool, I'll have to say working with the primates was so fun! Spider monkeys are now one of my favourite animals!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateshake)
    Thank you very much! That means an awful lot! And yeah, at the beginning of year 12 you're allowed to swap a subject for another if it's in the first 2 weeks and I was considering it but my physics teachers talked me out it, but I don't blame them because I'm surprised they don't hate me by the number of times I come and find them when I'm stuck on a question! And yeah, I was quite upset at first when the realistatuon happened, but after having some in depth conversations with nurses at the practice I work at, I think a career In nursing would be more suited to me :-)
    And primates and birds! Whilst the birds were very cool, I'll have to say working with the primates was so fun! Spider monkeys are now one of my favourite animals!
    No worries

Heh, I'm surprised that my teachers don't hate me because of the number of times that I don't go to them for help :lol:

I came to the same conclusion as you a while ago, again due to grades (GCSEs weren't the best and I'm now doing appallingly in maths . In recent mocks got DUE in C1, C2 and S1 respectively, appropriate seeing as a lot of my homework is overDUE ). If it's only physics that you're having trouble with though then maybe keep an open mind, 'cause you can always drop it next year. I'm not trying to influence your decisions or anything, vet nursing sounds amazing! I'm just saying that if you do decide that you're still interested in vet med then it may not be a closed door

Spider monkeys are wicked A friend of mine loves monkeys so we're planning a trip to Monkey World over summer

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking part in the sutton trust summer school?

ReputationRep:
    fitting to the title of this discussion i also fall into the category of "2015 Vet medicine hopefuls"! Apart from the very demanding academic requirements i am overwhelmed at the thought of the work experience which must also be presented. I already have an abundance of dairy farm experience due to my uncle owning a farm in Ireland which i have visited frequently since birth, but i am lacking in most other areas of this field. I was wondering what experience would be most beneficial to my application and would possibly make me stand out amongst others?

ReputationRep:
    Niall-q, I suggest you check out the work experience thread stickied at the top of this forum. I think that should give you a good start.
    Unfortunately, family placements don't count in terms of logging work experience I thought....not sure if that counts for parents alone or if your uncle would fall into that category too.

Regardless, you probably want to get some stables, lambing, farm, kennels (cat and dog), dairy (if your uncle doesn't count, maybe he would know somewhere that could take you?) and large and small animal vets as your core placements. In case I forgot any, check out that thread. The minimum for Liverpool, which requires the most, is 10 weeks, but 15+ is more realistic to be competitive, and many/most people follow Liverpool's standards to avoid limiting themselves.

Those are the minimum; if you want to go above and beyond, there are some suggestions on the WE thread including more longer-term placements (every Sat at a vets for several months instead of a one-off week for example) , an abattoir, zoo placements, wildlife/exotic placements, etc.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Gah, lambing was amazing, miss it so much already! We were very lucky with our weather, and I couldn't have asked for a nicer family to stay with Hanna and LTC - you guys been yet, or are you going later on in the holidays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarnia)
    Niall-q, I suggest you check out the work experience thread stickied at the top of this forum. I think that should give you a good start.
    Unfortunately, family placements don't count in terms of logging work experience I thought....not sure if that counts for parents alone or if your uncle would fall into that category too.

Regardless, you probably want to get some stables, lambing, farm, kennels (cat and dog), dairy (if your uncle doesn't count, maybe he would know somewhere that could take you?) and large and small animal vets as your core placements. In case I forgot any, check out that thread. The minimum for Liverpool, which requires the most, is 10 weeks, but 15+ is more realistic to be competitive, and many/most people follow Liverpool's standards to avoid limiting themselves.

Those are the minimum; if you want to go above and beyond, there are some suggestions on the WE thread including more longer-term placements (every Sat at a vets for several months instead of a one-off week for example) , an abattoir, zoo placements, wildlife/exotic placements, etc.

Good luck!
    Thank you this really helps a lot!! Hopefully my uncle will be okay as otherwise I have a lot to do in a short space of time....

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Is anyone going to the RVC taster course tomorrow and Thursday? I don't know anyone :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophjeff)
    Is anyone going to the RVC taster coursetomorrow and Thursday? I don't know anyone :eek:

Was just about to ask the same question! I'm going tomorrow and Thursday - I'll see you there!
    Anyone else going?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    Gah, lambing was amazing, miss it so much already! We were very lucky with our weather, and I couldn't have asked for a nicer family to stay with Hanna and LTC - you guys been yet, or are you going later on in the holidays?
    Been here since Saturday Weather is fantastic (internet connection however, is not ). Long days of 6:00am-10:00pm but loving every second of it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just a quick question - how many weeks work experience is everyone roughly going to have before November. If everything goes to plan, I will have 13/14 weeks, is this competitive?! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Been here since Saturday Weather is fantastic (internet connection however, is not ). Long days of 6:00am-10:00pm but loving every second of it!
    Fabulous! Make sure you savour every minute, as London is still, well, London.

(Original post by Percival Weasley)
    Hi guys, just a quick question - how many weeks work experience is everyone roughly going to have before November. If everything goes to plan, I will have 13/14 weeks, is this competitive?! Thanks
    13/14 weeks is a really good amount I'd say - well done! I think that's what most people will have (apart from re-apps). I will hopefully have 9 weeks of placements, and then my weekend job will add up to (if I've calculated this right) about 8 weeks (will have been doing it once a week for about 15 months), so that means about 17 weeks altogether. I'm not really sure if the weekend jobs only count for a certain number of weeks though, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    13/14 weeks is a really good amount I'd say - well done! I think that's what most people will have (apart from re-apps). I will hopefully have 9 weeks of placements, and then my weekend job will add up to (if I've calculated this right) about 8 weeks (will have been doing it once a week for about 15 months), so that means about 17 weeks altogether. I'm not really sure if the weekend jobs only count for a certain number of weeks though, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Anyone know?
    Thanks there is someone in my year who will have over 20 weeks so was starting to majorly freak out! Though she was born September and my birthday is in august which gives her a huge advantage going to start volunteering in reptile shop (hopefully) but only after exams so only counted that as 1 week! although it would show commitment im guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks there is someone in my year who will have over 20 weeks so was starting to majorly freak out! Though she was born September and my birthday is in august which gives her a huge advantage going to start volunteering in reptile shop (hopefully) but only after exams so only counted that as 1 week! although it would show commitment im guessing.
    Oh gosh, that is rather a lot! I am very jealous of all the September babies, I'm a June one myself so like you, had to wait a while longer than them for jobs/placements - very frustrating Ooh that sounds fantastic, are you into reptiles? I have a embarrassingly big obsession with snakes Yep it definitely would. Let us know how it goes, it sounds like a brilliant opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    Oh gosh, that is rather a lot! I am very jealous of all the September babies, I'm a June one myself so like you, had to wait a while longer than them for jobs/placements - very frustrating Ooh that sounds fantastic, are you into reptiles? I have a embarrassingly big obsession with snakes Yep it definitely would. Let us know how it goes, it sounds like a brilliant opportunity!
    Absolutely love them! only just persuaded parents to let me have a pet though (they are not so keen on the idea) so cant have snakes, spiders but hopefully getting a leopard gecko! Does anyone know if you can have reptiles, like leopard geckos when at uni?! If not my younger brother is very happy to look after him! Will do

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely love them! only just persuaded parents to let me have a pet though (they are not so keen on the idea) so cant have snakes, spiders but hopefully getting a leopard gecko! Does anyone know if you can have reptiles, like leopard geckos when at uni?! If not my younger brother is very happy to look after him! Will do
    N'aww, leopard geckos are very cute I'm desperate to get a royal python, but my mum is completely unconvinced (has she not seen how blimmin adorable they are?!) so it looks like a no-no at the minute...I did a thread a while ago on keeping reptiles at uni, if you go on my past threads, it should be on there. It's technically not allowed although that doesn't stop people from doing it lol, I think it's a case of waiting until you get there and then seeing if you think you can get away with it or not! TBH I think you'd be able to get away with a gecko, I'm not to optimistic about a snake though aha. You're very lucky that you have someone that will look after him just in case :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    N'aww, leopard geckos are very cute I'm desperate to get a royal python, but my mum is completely unconvinced (has she not seen how blimmin adorable they are?!) so it looks like a no-no at the minute...I did a thread a while ago on keeping reptiles at uni, if you go on my past threads, it should be on there. It's technically not allowed although that doesn't stop people from doing it lol, I think it's a case of waiting until you get there and then seeing if you think you can get away with it or not! TBH I think you'd be able to get away with a gecko, I'm not to optimistic about a snake though aha. You're very lucky that you have someone that will look after him just in case :P
    Well, a family friend of ours refused to visit if there was a snake in the house which kinda ruled them out :mad: even just one of them tiny cornsnakes! tbh, my dad isnt too keen on them but at least it wasnt a snake for his sake! Good luck on getting the python ... just do the washing up one evening! (or several!) Thanks! - i shall look it up! How many weeks do people have at a vets? I think im gonna have 4 (hopefully 5) weeks but left it way too late for organising more

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.