The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Oh, I assumed the EPQ was available across Britain but having looked it up perhaps not, sorry. Either way, that baccalaureate thing sounds worth a go. Anything to show your interest in vet medicine, really. :smile:

No vet schools ask for the UKCAT, but Cambridge and the RVC ask for the BMAT. I believe registration for the BMAT opens in September and you sit the exam in November.

Yeah I'll look into something like that! Ah okay! Thanks for your help! :smile:
Is anyone applying/ applied to Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Scotland) who lives in England? For my fourth choice, I am thinking of Scotland but not sure about costs (£27000ish yearly compared to £9000), travelling (from the south) and style (not the best choice of word but Ive heard that the majority of students are Scottish and live at home, is this true?) Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Percival Weasley
Is anyone applying/ applied to Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Scotland) who lives in England? For my fourth choice, I am thinking of Scotland but not sure about costs (£27000ish yearly compared to £9000), travelling (from the south) and style (not the best choice of word but Ive heard that the majority of students are Scottish and live at home, is this true?) Cheers :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure that English students 'only' pay £9000? Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees, English (and presumably Welsh and N.Irish) students pay £9000, then the international fees apply to everyone else.
The 27,000GBP is for international (outside UK) and/or graduate (previous degree) students.
Original post by Tarnia
The 27,000GBP is for international (outside UK) and/or graduate (previous degree) students.

I'm pretty sure that English students 'only' pay £9000? Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees, English (and presumably Welsh and N.Irish) students pay £9000, then the international fees apply to everyone else.

Ah okay, must have misread some information! I was wondering how most students could afford it! I shall definitely look at Scotland then ... Thank You :biggrin:
Is anyone considering Dublin? It doesnt seem to be talked about a lot on here.
Reply 2946
Original post by alwaysalex

Yes i was but tou have to have a GCSE in another language other than english which i don't and the Alevel grades are much higher.

Has anybody signed up for nottingham open day on Friday?
i have but haven't received the extra veterinary booklet that the general booklet and letter suggested i would receive and have no idea what i am supposed to be doing or when?
Original post by Whooh1
Yes i was but tou have to have a GCSE in another language other than english which i don't and the Alevel grades are much higher.

Has anybody signed up for nottingham open day on Friday?
i have but haven't received the extra veterinary booklet that the general booklet and letter suggested i would receive and have no idea what i am supposed to be doing or when?

This happened to me last year. I just rang them and asked them to send me one :smile: everything is very well planned out anyway so if you don't get the booklet in time I wouldn't worry. It is such a good open day I hope you enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2948
Original post by KateLivesey
This happened to me last year. I just rang them and asked them to send me one :smile: everything is very well planned out anyway so if you don't get the booklet in time I wouldn't worry. It is such a good open day I hope you enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
i tried emailing, will give them a call tommorow!
Original post by Whooh1
Thanks
i tried emailing, will give them a call tommorow!

Hey!
was just wondering whether you rang them or not and if so what they said?I'm meant to be going tomorrow but also haven't received the extra booklet! :confused:
Reply 2950
Original post by Sophjeff
Hey!
was just wondering whether you rang them or not and if so what they said?I'm meant to be going tomorrow but also haven't received the extra booklet! :confused:

I did, they didn't get back to me. I am booked on the afternoon session so was just going to tirn up at 10.30 for the general talk in zone 1 and then go to registration point and ask all I know is you have to print the ticket thing u got emailed/ on letter.
Reply 2951
Anybody else go to the nottingham open day yesterday/ today. I missed the first talk, could somebody post any notes they took? Would be much appreciated!
It's dead quiet in here :tongue: What are people up to this summer? :smile:
It's dead quiet in here :tongue: What are people up to this summer? :smile:

I'm doing a five week small animal placement and a 1 week diagnostic lab placement this summer :smile: I've also passed my 3rd year exams so this is a super happy day for me.

What are you up to?
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I'm doing a five week small animal placement and a 1 week diagnostic lab placement this summer :smile: I've also passed my 3rd year exams so this is a super happy day for me.

What are you up to?

Congratulations on passing your exams! You're over half way there now so this is the home stretch! :biggrin: Sounds as if your summer will be interesting too :smile:

As for me, I'm having a more relaxed summer :tongue: . I'm helping out at a local festival thing on Saturday and then the week after that I'm going camping. I had a few placements booked but some fifth year students phoned up the practices wanting the same dates as I was already down for, so I gave em' up because they'll be a whole lot more useful to them than they ever would have been to me :tongue: . I'm still going to the RVC for a week and I have a short thing at an animal shelter that's been booked for about two years :tongue:, but other than that I'm gonna rest this summer I think :biggrin:
Congratulations on passing your exams! You're over half way there now so this is the home stretch! :biggrin: Sounds as if your summer will be interesting too :smile:

As for me, I'm having a more relaxed summer :tongue: . I'm helping out at a local festival thing on Saturday and then the week after that I'm going camping. I had a few placements booked but some fifth year students phoned up the practices wanting the same dates as I was already down for, so I gave em' up because they'll be a whole lot more useful to them than they ever would have been to me :tongue: . I'm still going to the RVC for a week and I have a short thing at an animal shelter that's been booked for about two years :tongue:, but other than that I'm gonna rest this summer I think :biggrin:

That is very kind of you to give up some of your placements for 5th years! Sounds like you're going to have a nice summer too :smile:

Out of curiosity, is the week at the RVC the 21st July to the 25th July? I'm also going to the RVC for a week and was just wondering if it's the same week.
Original post by alwaysalex

Dublin are notoriously a hard bunch to please. He reason being is you don't have to have work experience and you don't have an interview as far as I'm aware, and therefore they weight heavy on exams - 4 a levels and you have to have at least one A* to meet the minimum points (565 - 620 I think?) and even then it's a lucky dip if you get in! But worth a shot anyway :smile:
Original post by OutAtStarlight
Out of curiosity, is the week at the RVC the 21st July to the 25th July? I'm also going to the RVC for a week and was just wondering if it's the same week.

Nope, sorry. I don't think they let two people come at once.
Nope, sorry. I don't think they let two people come at once.

Ah, I see. I guess you aren't going for the sutton summer school, then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending