Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngvet)
    Congrats on getting into Liverpool -saw your post on 2014 thread - yes please.. Tell me/us more about the SA provision. I am applying again and want to add an overseas experience to my 2015 application. Many thanks. Vh
    Basically the course I'm ambassador for is a pre vet course at shamwari game reserve, it's basically a course which has been adapted specifically for students wanting to apply to vet school. You get the chance to work alongside the conservation staff and the vets at shamwari, helping with darting, translocation and doing post mortems etc. If you've ever watched vets go wild, shamwari is the neighbouring reserve to amakhala. I've got more information in packs which are being sent out to me if you want to pm me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have actually heard several 'high-up' zoo/wildlife vets in the UK refer to these courses as "veterinary tourism". That doesn't mean they aren't valuable-I did one, learned so much, had an amazing time and would do it again in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't say it would 'make or break' your application, since at least for the Vets Go Wild in-course course, the only deciding factors are how early you apply/apply before deadline and if you can afford it. I was there when they were doing the "Safari Vets" filming and the 'top students from UK's top vet schools' thing is nonsense...there was no academic selection criteria.

That being said as I said I loved it and if you have the opportunity to go, GO! You will learn so much, not just about veterinary medicine, and it will change you. How THAT could affect your application, who knows. For those that watched "Safari vets", some of the placements, including the one where we worked with rhino and Camilla got to draw blood from a rhino, and also the one doing surgery on/implanting a transmitter into a lion, took place on Shamwari. It is a BEAUTIFUL reserve, larger than Amakhala, and has some species Amakhala doesn't (like hippo).

Just throwing my 2 cents in! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBB in my AS grades, didn't get into vet school for 2014 entry due to little work experience and came out of A2 with AAA in biology, chemistry and maths, you can definitely get the B's up to an A if you put in the work. If you have the work experience and your teachers will give you the predicted grades definitely apply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Lol modded for swear filter avoidance yolo swag

Did anybody watch Operation Wild this evening? Again it was really interesting; they had eye surgery on an orang-utan and a skin graft on a rhino, among other things. Well worth watching

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the procedure they did to the first rhino? For those who haven't watched it, the vets anaethatised the animal, drilled a hole into its horn and filled it full of red dye. The dye is harmless to the rhino, but toxic to humans, so should the horn be removed it will be worthless to poachers, who will be unable to sell it for consumption. The dye also shows up in airport scanners in the event that anybody attempts to export the horn. Now, I'm no expert and I realise this , but in my opinion the task seems pointless as the dye isn't visible from the outside. From what I could see, the vets only put duct tape on the horn, which I'd imagine would eventually rub/fall off. By the time poachers cut off the horn and realise that the dye is there, it will be too late. The rhino will be dead, and now the poachers will have to kill another one in order to make their money. I'd like to think that the poachers aren't just malicious people hell-bent on driving rhinos to extinction. I'd prefer to believe that they only do it because they need to. I know nothing about the economic climates and career prospects in far away countries, but if people are killing rhinos because its their only means of supporting themselves, then that's a justification for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning their actions, it's still disgusting and deplorable, I'm merely saying that it's understandable. In my eyes the dye seems pointless, as it only serves a purpose after a rhino is dead, by which time it is too late. I'd honestly prefer it if people could make money from it so that the animal didn't have to be killed for nothing.

Just my two cents anyway
    Hey! I've recently been to South Africa and didn't realise how big of an issue rhino poaching was until I was there. You're totally right about the people who do the actual poaching, they tend to just be offered large amounts of money by the gangs who coordinate poaching and selling of the horns. I would imagine the dye would help catch the people higher up in the gangs doing the exporting if it shows up in airport detectors, once the rhino is dead it doesn't mean it's too late to catch anyone and prosecute them, if they could be caught it'd be less people out to kill the rhinos. If you're interested there's a book called Killing for Profit which explains a lot about the rhino poaching industry and the corruption surrounding it, it's hard to follow but really interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eceidil13)
    also, i have to do the bmat for 2 of my uni choices
    does anyone have any good book recommendations? ive been on amazon and there are so many with mixed reviews
    please help
    thank you
    None of the books have questions as hard as the real BMAT
    But buy 2 or 3 and focus on your weak areas eg genetic inheritance or maths etc

In the 6 weeks before BMAT do the practice exam under timed conditions. Not a minute more
    Get a teacher to mark section 3. Show them the marking scheme if they dont know it

Good luck. Main thing to remember is that everybody finds it hard

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I should probably stop lurking and post something on this thread for once...

I'm on a gap year at the moment - I've just finished my A-levels, and I'm hoping to apply for vetmed in October. I've got a veterinary nursing assistant job at a SA practice chain lined up for the year, which I'm starting at the end of this month
    I'll be working in various surgeries, so I should see a variety of things! The other awesome thing about the job is that they provide the option of going to their own college to train as a veterinary nurse after a year, so it'll definitely keep my options open if I for some unknown reason decide being a vet isn't for me. Yay!

I decided not to apply last October for work experience reasons and also because I got a C in AS chemistry. I got A*AB this year - one bloody UMS off the A in chemistry! Fingers crossed a remark will bring it up. I'm hoping to apply for Bristol, Nottingham, Surrey and Liverpool.

I've just finished my second day at a two week work experience placement at a stables - it's so fun! The people there are super super nice - I'd lost my faith in equestrian society after a horrible experience at another stables, which I ended up ditching after two days of what was to be a week's placement. I was a little scared of horses before I started, but I can feel it ebbing away day by day. It feels fab to feel your confidence increasing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afeatherofabird)
    Hi guys! I should probably stop lurking and post something on this thread for once...

I'm on a gap year at the moment - I've just finished my A-levels, and I'm hoping to apply for vetmed in October. I've got a veterinary nursing assistant job at a SA practice chain lined up for the year, which I'm starting at the end of this month
    I'll be working in various surgeries, so I should see a variety of things! The other awesome thing about the job is that they provide the option of going to their own college to train as a veterinary nurse after a year, so it'll definitely keep my options open if I for some unknown reason decide being a vet isn't for me. Yay!

I decided not to apply last October for work experience reasons and also because I got a C in AS chemistry. I got A*AB this year - one bloody UMS off the A in chemistry! Fingers crossed a remark will bring it up. I'm hoping to apply for Bristol, Nottingham, Surrey and Liverpool.

I've just finished my second day at a two week work experience placement at a stables - it's so fun! The people there are super super nice - I'd lost my faith in equestrian society after a horrible experience at another stables, which I ended up ditching after two days of what was to be a week's placement. I was a little scared of horses before I started, but I can feel it ebbing away day by day. It feels fab to feel your confidence increasing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Becoming a nursing assistant / trainee vet nurse is pretty much the best idea I ever had. I gained so much experience and knowledge that I knew a lot more when applying a year later, probably the major reason why I got my place at Liverpool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    I'm not quite sure where you have got the information from in your second paragraph, but it isn't correct.

The only way to legally be allowed to work as a veterinary surgeon in the UK is to have completed a veterinary degree which is accepted by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons for membership. A veterinary nurse can follow on to do a veterinary medicine degree and then become a member of the RCVS as a vet - but will still have various entry requirements to fulfill to apply to uni to do that degree (which I assume is what the original poster was asking about).

There is no way a veterinary nurse could just learn how to become a veterinary surgeon by practicing procedures. What vets and vet nurses are allowed to do is very tightly regulated. Qualified vet nurses are allowed to perform some procedures, but it is set out what they are legally allowed to do (and not to do), they are not allowed to perform many of the procedures that a vet is allowed to do.

In terms of what you are saying you would like to do - by all means become a vet nurse if that is what you want to do. But to become a vet you will need to return to uni and do a 5 year degree there (and have the required alevels etc as well). You won't just be able to 'work your way up' to being a surgeon. Nurses all allowed to assist in surgery - scrubbing to help hold/pass things etc. They are also allowed to do some very basic surgery - which doesn't enter the body - such as a wound stitch up or tail amputation, but other than that you will be limited to what surgery you can do as a nurse.

I'm just saying all this so you are clear on what the roles are and that whilst some nurses do become vets - this isn't a normal career progression and will involve retraining, not just working your way up. If your aim is to be a vet, it is much quicker and cheaper to head down that route to start with!
    Thank you for replying! i am having to take an unplanned gap year as i didn't get the grades this year which is why i am trying to figure out my best "detour" option to get into vet med.

so you're saying that even if you do the vet nursing degree, you still have to do the whole 5 years? i understood that you could skip first year? thats annoying... and your grades (scottish AH) still count!?!? i think i may not take this route then...
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

My plan is to go to uni and study veterinary medicine but I'm not sure what to do about my as grades. I got AACD, A in biology and geography, c in chemistry and D in maths.
    My maths grade is due to me getting a U in mechanics so I will definitely be resetting that however I don't know what to do about chemistry.
    Chem1 I got a C ( a few UMS of B) and chem 2 I got a D. I'm thinking I will resit Chem2 for sure but don't know about chem1. what do ya think? I know the main reason for my low grades is not doing enough work! and I definitely didn't try my hardest but this year I've learnt and am prepared and motivated!

Is there still any chance that i can get all As?! Help! what should I do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sej97)
    Hey Guys!

My plan is to go to uni and study veterinary medicine but I'm not sure what to do about my as grades. I got AACD, A in biology and geography, c in chemistry and D in maths.
    My maths grade is due to me getting a U in mechanics so I will definitely be resetting that however I don't know what to do about chemistry.
    Chem1 I got a C ( a few UMS of B) and chem 2 I got a D. I'm thinking I will resit Chem2 for sure but don't know about chem1. what do ya think? I know the main reason for my low grades is not doing enough work! and I definitely didn't try my hardest but this year I've learnt and am prepared and motivated!

Is there still any chance that i can get all As?! Help! what should I do?!
    I had a bit of a year like that, I restarted everything and got AAAB so that definitely helped me. Just keep your end goal in sight and keep motivated the best you can - I find that doing work experience once a week keeps you topped up on what you are going to do! You can get A's if you work incredibly hard for it and remember that the majority of the Uni's are pretty okay with resits as long as you can justify and explain yourself and what you have learnt as a result!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else finding it ridiculously hard to write their personal statement... I am STRESSING OUT
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadealycia)
    Is anyone else finding it ridiculously hard to write their personal statement... I am STRESSING OUT
    It is a struggle I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and finally managed to get within the line limit but I gave up trying to perfect it and what I have so far is pretty crap. I asked a few people to look at it though and that's helped a lot There's still plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    It is a struggle I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and finally managed to get within the line limit but I gave up trying to perfect it and what I have so far is pretty crap. I asked a few people to look at it though and that's helped a lot There's still plenty of time
    I don't even know where to start that is why I am worrying
    I feel like the opening lines should be a massive wow factor but mine definitely isn't as it currently stands.... :hmmmm2:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadealycia)
    I don't even know where to start that is why I am worrying
    I feel like the opening lines should be a massive wow factor but mine definitely isn't as it currently stands.... :hmmmm2:
    Yea, I'm going to completely redo my starting paragraph. T'was too generic and cliched.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

^^There are about 18 examples on there with grades that people got and if they got accepted. Some of them are pretty bad and some are really good. My first opening was really cliche too, I'm struggling to get to the point in each of my paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone thought about applying for deferred entry? or got any tips if they did? Not made up my mind yet but every vet I spoke to recommends a gap year and I think I kinda agree with them ... Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percival Weasley)
    Has anyone thought about applying for deferred entry? or got any tips if they did? Not made up my mind yet but every vet I spoke to recommends a gap year and I think I kinda agree with them ... Cheers!
    I didn't think you could apply for deferred entry for veterinary medicine? I think most people take a gap year as they're unsuccessful the first time round

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indianajones96)
    Thank you for replying! i am having to take an unplanned gap year as i didn't get the grades this year which is why i am trying to figure out my best "detour" option to get into vet med.

so you're saying that even if you do the vet nursing degree, you still have to do the whole 5 years? i understood that you could skip first year? thats annoying... and your grades (scottish AH) still count!?!? i think i may not take this route then...
    thanks again
    Totally depends on the vet school. Some of them (Nottm for sure, can't remember which others) don't allow anyway to be exempt from any part of the course, even if they have done a previous degree. Some of them (such as RVC, Edinburgh, and some others) have a specific "graduate" first year, so people with a related/relevant degree do in effect the first two years in one year - so there is a lot of prior knowledge assumed, as well as you being up to speed on studying in a uni environment etc. The uni's all decide themselves what degrees are ok for this course, they tend to judge it on the modules covered. So vet nursing may count for this - but it is up to each uni.

They do tend to still expect a reasonable level of achievement at a level (or equiv) - for example I had BBC, so not good enough for vet med without my degree as well...but good enough no to need to resit them, some people who failed a levels etc do end up resitting as well.

Best thing is to contact each uni to ask what courses they will accept for the accerlated graduate route. But tbh, its a very expensive and long route, for many people a gap year and resits may be a better option.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, I'm hoping I can get some advice about applying for VetMed this year as my AS predicted grades are a bit lower than I would've liked.

So basically I got 2As and 2Cs in my AS exams - As in Biology and Chemistry and Cs in Maths and Physics and I've found out my predicted grades are AAB. I want to apply to Nottingham and Bristol definitely (my college qualified for Bristol's contextual offer last year) and then 99% sure my other choices will be Surrey and RVC.

I had though Surrey wanted AAB but went to the open day on Saturday and they have changed to AAA and I spoke to the admissions guy who said definitely still apply but all offers will be for AAA (although he said something about they were likely to accept AAB but I don't know if they will actually do that come results day)

I've emailed the RVC and Liverpool admissions people to ask them what chance I stand with one grade lower than the entry requirements but I'm sure they'll come back and say 'not a good one'. For my maths this years C grade was made up of 2 Bs in Core 1 and Core 2 and an E grade in Mechanics so I'm obviously going to resit the mechanics and my teacher also suggested resitting C2 to boost my UMS so there will be less pressure for next years exams. This also made me think that with a decent amount of hard work an A might actually be on the cards, but that's no good if I don't get any offers with my current predicted grades.

Please does anyone have any advice at all? any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateLivesey)
    I didn't think you could apply for deferred entry for veterinary medicine? I think most people take a gap year as they're unsuccessful the first time round Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you ... a friend of mine applied deferred entry but this was a few years back (just starting second year now) so have they changed it?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.