The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

I really struggle to find shelters and farms near me, and I'm having trouble finding a summer 2015 course for vet science; can anyone from the north west England area help? :smile:
I've heard that TSR amazingly offers free personal statement help but the only one I can find is £75, is there another link somewhere that I can't find or does the TSR not offer it anymore? Am just wanting someone to read through it and offer some comments/ constructive criticism :biggrin: cheers!
Original post by Percival Weasley
I've heard that TSR amazingly offers free personal statement help but the only one I can find is £75, is there another link somewhere that I can't find or does the TSR not offer it anymore? Am just wanting someone to read through it and offer some comments/ constructive criticism :biggrin: cheers!

TSR no longer has free PS help. The system has been stopped.

Theres an email address that can be PMd to you where us PS helpers these days do them

The new system is incredibly expensive, and us students get no money for it. (we used to get a nominal fee)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you ... a friend of mine applied deferred entry but this was a few years back (just starting second year now) so have they changed it? :smile:

I think it depends what universities you want to apply to as Edinburgh and Glasgow don't accept differed entry but Nottingham do so you might just have to read the policies of the universities you're looking to apply to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, thanks guys! I don't think I will apply deffered entry but gap year is definitely back up if no success first application! It's a shame but definitely am not gonna spend £75! Am getting teachers and vet ive been with to look through it anyway! :biggrin:
Ah okay, thanks guys! I don't think I will apply deffered entry but gap year is definitely back up if no success first application! It's a shame but definitely am not gonna spend £75! Am getting teachers and vet ive been with to look through it anyway! :biggrin:

I'll look at anyone's personal statement if they want, I know my personal statement was pretty good as I got interviews when I missed the grades and I've also got a place now so if I can help I will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I haven't been on here for a while, hope you're all getting on well :smile: Just wondering if anyone could recommend any BMAT books please? Or any other ways of preparing for BMAT? There's so many of them out there with really mixed reviews, so any help would be much appreciated, thanks! :smile:
Just for anyone who is looking for a PS as Angry cucumber has said - we have broken away from TSR (still the same 4 people who have done them in previous years!) and created our own website. If any of you are still looking for a free PS review the link to our website is on the facebook group (which I can't post a link for here sadly, but I'm sure you'll find it if you search for it), or if you're not on facebook just send me or Angry cucumber a PM and we'll tell you where to go from there :smile:
Original post by feespils
I really struggle to find shelters and farms near me, and I'm having trouble finding a summer 2015 course for vet science; can anyone from the north west England area help? :smile:

I'm from the North West and I struggled so much! Have you tried farm/equine practices east cheshire way? (depends whereabouts in the north west you're from!!)
Anybody applying to Newnham College Cambridge for Vet Med/go to Newnham college?? Get in touch if you are please :biggrin:
Reply 3130
Can i get into vet school with a B in biology???
Original post by DOM26

At AS or A2? At AS then that shouldn't be a problem as long as your teachers will predict you an A at A2. If it's your final grade however then I'm afraid that an A is kinda a necessity, however resits are always a possibility :smile:
Original post by DOM26

If its a B at A level then its unlikely :frown:
Original post by DOM26

What Little Tail Chaser said - if it's at AS, that's fine. Just get your teachers to predict you an A, and resit a module or two.

If it's at A2, it's a bit more tricky as every vet school in this country wants an A in A-level biology. You would have to resit.

Thing is, there are some vet schools (Edinburgh off the top of my head, there are others) who could reject you straight off if you haven't achieved the required grades.

I'd say you should do the following:
- Arrange to resit some Biology modules through your school
- Go onto all the vet school websites, note which ones say they don't accept resits
- Call/email the admissions departments of the vet schools explaining your situation. Their advice is more valid than TSR advice, believe me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been trying to total up my work experience, but the problem is I've only had 1 solid week at a vet practice. All of my other work experience has been single days, or a few hours a week over a long period of time. So all of my work experience is in hours.
For talking about it in personal statement ect, should I try and convert it into weeks (and if so, how many hours should I count as the equivalent of one 'week') or should I keep talking about it in hours? (If you include some older stuff, I think I'm up to 430 hours for all of my dairy/rescue centre/vet practice/horse work/lambing:s-smilie:)

See my signature :smile:
Original post by hollyleaf988
I've been trying to total up my work experience, but the problem is I've only had 1 solid week at a vet practice. All of my other work experience has been single days, or a few hours a week over a long period of time. So all of my work experience is in hours.
For talking about it in personal statement ect, should I try and convert it into weeks (and if so, how many hours should I count as the equivalent of one 'week') or should I keep talking about it in hours? (If you include some older stuff, I think I'm up to 430 hours for all of my dairy/rescue centre/vet practice/horse work/lambing:s-smilie:)

How many hours would the workers classify a working day? Talking in hours seems a bit abstract if I am honest! Liverpool classifies 1 week as 5 days, and 1 day as 8hrs so you may want to use this system.
Original post by hollyleaf988

I'd say convert them into weeks - I think a normal working week is 40 hours?

I think someone at the Bristol open day said to do that when asked about weekly voluntary placements. :smile:
Is it necessary to put length of time you have spent on various placements in your personal statement? Or is it fine to say "during my work experience at a ____..." or "my weekly____placement for ___ months..."? Thanks :smile:
Hi everyone, I have started thinking about my advanced higher chemistry investigation, I would really like to link it to a career in vet med however the only thing my teacher could suggest was to do with the caffeine and antioxidant levels in tea. Any suggestions to do with anything 'vetty' would be welcomed! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending