Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngvet)
    On the contrary, if you apply to vet med, notts will automatically offer you a cross offer... You don't have to waste your 5th choice on notts.
    Hmm good point, I'll stick with Durham then. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just sent my application off I was just wondering whether anyone knew how you quickly you hear back from unis I am applying to RVC, Bristol, Nottingham and Surrey
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieStock97)
    Hi,
    I've just sent my application off I was just wondering whether anyone knew how you quickly you hear back from unis I am applying to RVC, Bristol, Nottingham and Surrey
    Thanks
    I've applied to Nottingham and RVC - that was nearly 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from either place.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Apparently last year somebody got an interview from Brizzle on 15th October! RVC try to be quite quick I believe, they aim to have made all offers/rejections by December if I remember correctly. I don't know when they actually send out acknowledgements, though.

Not sure about the others.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    last year i heard back from rvc at the end of november and nottingham mid december but not sure about rejections
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    The answer is it is quite variable, but you should find out all of your offers/rejections by the end of March. It's a long waiting game sometimes. I personally got my first offer in February.

(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Apparently last year somebody got an interview from Brizzle on 15th October! RVC try to be quite quick I believe, they aim to have made all offers/rejections by December if I remember correctly. I don't know when they actually send out acknowledgements, though.

Not sure about the others.
    Have they changed this in recent years? When I applied I was still having interviews in Feb from RVC.

ReputationRep:
    you hear from rvc 2-3 days after the bmat result comes out ie very late Nov and only 11-12 days before the first interview slots
    you can hear from Bristol as early as mid October for a mid November interview but many don't hear until mid to late January. Bristol say they haven't looked at many applications until January
    some heard about Notts on Dec 10
    The last interviews for Liverpool come through in February, they do them in batches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    The answer is it is quite variable, but you should find out all of your offers/rejections by the end of March. It's a long waiting game sometimes. I personally got my first offer in February.

Have they changed this in recent years? When I applied I was still having interviews in Feb from RVC.
    yes, most RVC interviews were within a week of 11 Dec 2013
    Only a few in January, people who were not available in Dec
    First offers 31 Jan (top 15%) and most of the rest in the week of 10 Feb

ReputationRep:
    Going to apply for Biovet science for the 2015 entry but confused on which university to chose as my first choice. Its between Liverpool and the Royal Veterinary college, just wondering if anyone has any ideas??

Plus, although they are both classed as biovet courses how come RVC has a UCAS code of D300 and Liverpool D900????

Thanks )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to the form but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm applying to Glasgow and Edinburgh for D100 Veterinary Medicine because Scotland has lower fees. My problem is, I don't know where else to apply!

I'd prefer not to have to do the BMAT so I think that leaves me with the choice of: Surrey, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool. Are all of these universities equally good for Vet. Med. or are any to be avoided? Do all have equally expensive fees? Are they all equally difficult to get into? Do they all require an interview?

My past examination results are AAAABBBBBBC (equivalent to GCSEs), is this good enough to even be considered?

I read that Glasgow and Surrey offer a 4 year degree in Veterinary Biosciences. Are these the only places that offer it? Is this worth applying for? Does this degree also require an interview? I am very interested in research and a career in research is likely what I would aim for out of the Vet. Med. degree anyway.

Does anyone know anything about Veterinary Physiotherapy in Harper Adams? Is it a good course? I was thinking of applying for this as a fall back option.

I'm a little concerned about the personal statement as well. Would I be automatically rejected from Veterinary Biosciences and Veterinary Physiotherapy because my personal statement is obviously aimed at Vet. Med.?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2121)
    Going to apply for Biovet science for the 2015 entry but confused on which university to chose as my first choice. Its between Liverpool and the Royal Veterinary college, just wondering if anyone has any ideas??

Plus, although they are both classed as biovet courses how come RVC has a UCAS code of D300 and Liverpool D900????

Thanks )
    I am not sure what you mean by 1st choice? Your UCAS choices are alphabetically placed and unis don't know where else you're applying - so you are not required to select them by order of preference.

If you are deciding between the two, things to consider is course content/structure, what city you would like to live in / expense of living in those cities, other uni facilities (e.g. societies, gym etc).

(Original post by Niamhers)
    I'm new to the form but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm applying to Glasgow and Edinburgh for D100 Veterinary Medicine because Scotland has lower fees. My problem is, I don't know where else to apply!

I'd prefer not to have to do the BMAT so I think that leaves me with the choice of: Surrey, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool. Are all of these universities equally good for Vet. Med. or are any to be avoided? Do all have equally expensive fees? Are they all equally difficult to get into? Do they all require an interview?
    I am not sure about Scottish students, but English students all pay the same fees for all of these (£9k) if this is their first degree, and will get student loans to cover this. All have pros and cons (both in terms of the course, the city and uni) and this is up to you to decide which ones you'd like to apply to; at the end of the day they all will allow you to do your chosen job and employers will have their own views of what unis they prefer which varies and depends on their past experiences. I would take league tables with a pinch of salt since they change massively every year. UniStats might give you a better idea of student satisfaction, but by the time you get in things may have improved/worsened so those stats are going to be 5+ years out of date anyway. Yes, all need interviews. There is no "easier" uni to get into, but they are all looking for something different so you should apply where your strengths lie (take a look on their websites/speak to students to see what they think). E.g. Liverpool place the most emphasis on work experience in terms of no. of weeks AND variety (you are looking at 15+ weeks BEFORE the application deadline to remain competitive).

My past examination results are AAAABBBBBBC (equivalent to GCSEs), is this good enough to even be considered?
    You can check this on the unis websites- they will have minimum requirements. So long as your meet the minimum, they will place more emphasis on other parts of your applications - work experience, personal statement, more recent qualification (predicted grades).

I read that Glasgow and Surrey offer a 4 year degree in Veterinary Biosciences. Are these the only places that offer it? Is this worth applying for? Does this degree also require an interview? I am very interested in research and a career in research is likely what I would aim for out of the Vet. Med. degree anyway.
    There are also other 3 year biovet courses. I am not sure if they require an interview, ask the individuals unis/look online maybe. A vet med degree isn't the best vet degree to get if you want to go into research rather than treating animals since you waste a lot of your time learning about clinical stuff that a researcher doesn't necessarily need to know. You are better off doing a biological science degree followed by a masters/phD - a much shorter route to become a researcher and more focused on research (we don't cover the research side of things in great depth in the vet med degree).

I'm a little concerned about the personal statement as well. Would I be automatically rejected from Veterinary Biosciences and Veterinary Physiotherapy because my personal statement is obviously aimed at Vet. Med.?
    Possibly. I applied to do Cell Biology at Manchester and didn't get rejected (was asked to send in an alternative PS by email) but some others got rejected from their 5th choices because their PS didn't show enough 'dedication' to that subject. So yes, you risk that possibility.

To me it sounds like you are confused as to what route you want to take- do you want to be a vet, researcher or vet physio??? They are all very different and if you are really struggling a gap year might not be a bad idea to get more time to mull things over and perhaps a bit more time to do work exp. in all those various industries to get more of a taste of what each career entails.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure about Scottish students, but English students all pay the same fees for all of these (£9k) if this is their first degree, and will get student loans to cover this. All have pros and cons (both in terms of the course, the city and uni) and this is up to you to decide which ones you'd like to apply to; at the end of the day they all will allow you to do your chosen job and employers will have their own views of what unis they prefer which varies and depends on their past experiences. I would take league tables with a pinch of salt since they change massively every year. UniStats might give you a better idea of student satisfaction, but by the time you get in things may have improved/worsened so those stats are going to be 5+ years out of date anyway. Yes, all need interviews. There is no "easier" uni to get into, but they are all looking for something different so you should apply where your strengths lie (take a look on their websites/speak to students to see what they think). E.g. Liverpool place the most emphasis on work experience in terms of no. of weeks AND variety (you are looking at 15+ weeks BEFORE the application deadline to remain competitive).

You can check this on the unis websites- they will have minimum requirements. So long as your meet the minimum, they will place more emphasis on other parts of your applications - work experience, personal statement, more recent qualification (predicted grades).

There are also other 3 year biovet courses. I am not sure if they require an interview, ask the individuals unis/look online maybe. A vet med degree isn't the best vet degree to get if you want to go into research rather than treating animals since you waste a lot of your time learning about clinical stuff that a researcher doesn't necessarily need to know. You are better off doing a biological science degree followed by a masters/phD - a much shorter route to become a researcher and more focused on research (we don't cover the research side of things in great depth in the vet med degree).

Possibly. I applied to do Cell Biology at Manchester and didn't get rejected (was asked to send in an alternative PS by email) but some others got rejected from their 5th choices because their PS didn't show enough 'dedication' to that subject. So yes, you risk that possibility.

To me it sounds like you are confused as to what route you want to take- do you want to be a vet, researcher or vet physio??? They are all very different and if you are really struggling a gap year might not be a bad idea to get more time to mull things over and perhaps a bit more time to do work exp. in all those various industries to get more of a taste of what each career entails.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice/ info. Unfortunately you're completely right in saying I'm confused as to what route I want to take. That's why I want to apply for more than just Vet. Med. but I still want to aim for Vet. Med. because it is the one which appeals to me the most and I feel it will open the most doors for me in the future. UCAS, for me, is a back up (if I get accepted) in case I don't get what I want at home (ROI).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Yep, one of the RVC staff themselves told me They used to be one of the last places to respond but now they're much quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application form... I'm so nervous D:

I hope I hear back soon!

ReputationRep:
    Just sent off my application to Cambridge, Nottingham, Surrey, and Edinbrugh. EEK!
    Now the waiting game begins...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    Just sent off my application to Cambridge, Nottingham, Surrey, and Edinbrugh. EEK!
    Alex you may need to learn to spell Edinburgh correctly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilixxx1000)
    Alex you may need to learn to spell Edinburgh correctly
    hahahahaha I was typing so quickly I was so nervous/excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysalex)
    I'm afraid that this is right. Sent application in on Oct 4 last year and did not hear about RVC interview until Nov 29 (56 days later), then Nottingham rejection Jan 10, Bristol interview invitation Jan 29, RVC offer Feb 10, Bristol offer Feb 25, Liverpool rejection late February. There is a lot of waiting. Hang in there guys. Don't assume the worst

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else finding the RVC website down? Not the most convenient timing for it to crash (if it has), with work experience questionnaire needing doing. I'd be grateful if someone could have a wee look for me so I know if its my computer or the website itself, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie14)
    Anyone else finding the RVC website down? Not the most convenient timing for it to crash (if it has), with work experience questionnaire needing doing. I'd be grateful if someone could have a wee look for me so I know if its my computer or the website itself, thanks
    Not working for me either, very stressful! Haha

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.