The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ieda
Got rejected from RVC for veterinary nursing. I wish to study veterinary medicine and this was more of a 'if I suddenly change my mind' option, so I really would have never took it. I am shocked though, I have A LOT of work experience, lots of extracurricular things, my application was strong and I got AAAB retaking the B. I thought veterinary nursing was not that difficult! Makes me scared about my 2 remaining vetmed universities..

Sorry to hear about your rejection. It is a shame, but as you say you still have a couple of vetmed applications to hear back from, so don't lose hope! :smile: I don't think it's anything to do with one course being any 'harder' than another. It depends who you're up against. Bear in mind that presumably your PS was geared more towards medicine than nursing, so that could have been the reasoning behind it. Also, 'a lot' is subjective. I'm not all that familiar with the requirements for nursing, but I would imagine that variety is just as, if not more important than sheer quantity. Perhaps you could email/phone up admissions and ask for feedback? :smile:
Reply 4961
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Sorry to hear about your rejection. It is a shame, but as you say you still have a couple of vetmed applications to hear back from, so don't lose hope! :smile: I don't think it's anything to do with one course being any 'harder' than another. It depends who you're up against. Bear in mind that presumably your PS was geared more towards medicine than nursing, so that could have been the reasoning behind it. Also, 'a lot' is subjective. I'm not all that familiar with the requirements for nursing, but I would imagine that variety is just as, if not more important than sheer quantity. Perhaps you could email/phone up admissions and ask for feedback? :smile:

Hi there, yeah I guess I'm just fed up but I am optimistic for my two remaining universities. Yes I understand it could be any reason, but theres nothing I can do now! I said 'a lot' as I'd rather not mention all of what I've done. Thanks for your support.
Even with 4 interviews how do you rate that chances of an offer??
Just wondering people's though :smile:
Original post by annie_belle

It really depends on how many people they interview to the no. of places and how you perform on the day. Each uni is looking for something different so it's not uncommon to get an offer one place and a rejection elsewhere.

I got 4 interviews, I got a rejection from Cam and Notts and an offer from Liverpool. I withdrew my application from RVC post interview so not sure if they would have given me an offer or not.
Original post by sydneybridge
Please note everyone - it is totally against TSR policy to give out detailed info about any interviews/tasks.

You can give general info ('I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people' or ' There was one role play assessment' etc) but do NOT give out info on specifics as this gives others an unfair advantage. And remember - you are competing with these people for a place - do you really want them to have any advantage you didnt?

I know thank you. Lots of people on here have done 3 or more interviews for veterinary medicine and I haven't ever done 1. so I just wondered what to expect I know there are stations but have no idea what about and so can't study for them ect.
Congratulations everyone with offers so far. We may all be competing but I'm sure everyone here won't give up and will get a place eventually. I didn't get an interview last year are and I'm back again xxx better luck this year hopefully cxx
Reply 4965
Original post by lana241189
I know thank you. Lots of people on here have done 3 or more interviews for veterinary medicine and I haven't ever done 1. so I just wondered what to expect I know there are stations but have no idea what about and so can't study for them ect.
Congratulations everyone with offers so far. We may all be competing but I'm sure everyone here won't give up and will get a place eventually. I didn't get an interview last year are and I'm back again xxx better luck this year hopefully cxx

I've done 2 interviews and have 2 more to go. With regards to stations they tend to test basic general skills so I wouldn't say you could revise for them. Certainly that's what I've found!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
It really depends on how many people they interview to the no. of places and how you perform on the day. Each uni is looking for something different so it's not uncommon to get an offer one place and a rejection elsewhere.

I got 4 interviews, I got a rejection from Cam and Notts and an offer from Liverpool. I withdrew my application from RVC post interview so not sure if they would have given me an offer or not.

If you don't mind me asking why did you withdraw your application to the RVC?
Original post by annie_belle

I've only had two interviews, had a straight rejection and it's looking unlikely that I'll get an interview for my 4th choice, but still managed to get an offer! They seem to all have different requirements with regards to getting an interview, but I really think it depends on how you sell yourself at interview!
Also, it depends on where you've applied - if you get an interview at Bristol you've got about a 60% chance of getting an offer, whereas if you get one at Cambridge you've only got about a 20% chance.
Reply 4968
Original post by emma.perry4
That's good then, don't want to be waiting without even a rough idea! ?Thanks :smile: did you prepare much for it? I'm pretty nervous but I've heard the interviews are nice and its not too bad

I did a good bit of preparation, yeah. You know when everyone tells you to know your personal statement inside-out? Yeah learn it back to front too! I thought I had but ended up getting caught out... a few times... in ten minutes. Also just be prepared to give YOUR opinions, say what YOU want to do with veterinary, how YOU truly feel about a situation etc. etc. Don't be afraid to pause before answering too, I felt as if I needed to rush in order to let them know HOW MUCH I knew but often I just blurted out rubbish rather than thinking logically. Best of luck with it, hopefully see you there in September!
Original post by alwaysalex
If you don't mind me asking why did you withdraw your application to the RVC?

Once I got my Liverpool offer I realised I didn't want to go anywhere else - the cost of living in London put me off RVC & I thought I would enjoy it more in Liverpool. I thought if I withdrew my application post interview then that would give someone else an offer instead and give them a chance. I also withdrew my application from Nottingham not knowing whether I would be accepted or not but later got a rejection letter in the post!
Reply 4970
Original post by Gerty
I did a good bit of preparation, yeah. You know when everyone tells you to know your personal statement inside-out? Yeah learn it back to front too! I thought I had but ended up getting caught out... a few times... in ten minutes. Also just be prepared to give YOUR opinions, say what YOU want to do with veterinary, how YOU truly feel about a situation etc. etc. Don't be afraid to pause before answering too, I felt as if I needed to rush in order to let them know HOW MUCH I knew but often I just blurted out rubbish rather than thinking logically. Best of luck with it, hopefully see you there in September!

agree
you can and should prepare for all interviews
to go in there cold as kate 20 advocates is v risky
practise answering the question, being fluent, succinct, confident and making eye contact
nearly all questions can be guessed and therefore prepared for
Original post by harewo
Have surrey only given out offers to people the day after their interviews or has anyone who had an earlier interview received an offer later than the next day? this makes less sense typed out than it did in my head... Thank you in advance. Also well done to everyone progressing with their application, and hang in there to all who are still waiting on responses!

I received mine 2 days after interview, I know it's not a huge difference but I hope it puts anyone's mind at rest ...as they aren't just giving them out the day after x
Original post by harewo
Have surrey only given out offers to people the day after their interviews or has anyone who had an earlier interview received an offer later than the next day? this makes less sense typed out than it did in my head... Thank you in advance. Also well done to everyone progressing with their application, and hang in there to all who are still waiting on responses!

Hi, can I ask how long the interview day at Surrey lasted, what sort of time did it finish?
Reply 4973
Original post by D of T
agree
practise answering the question, being fluent, succinct, confident and making eye contact

I feel I should clarify. I do not advocate going in cold. Interviews should of course be prepared for but I do feel that mmi stations are very difficult to predict and there is little to be done in terms of preparation. Try to be up to date with current affairs and of course know your personal statement inside out but this is usually only useful if there is a face to face interview. At each university the mmi stations are usually the same for each candidate so the questions won't be specific to your work experience or personal statement. At least this is what I have found so far although this could be wrong for the universities I haven't yet attended
Original post by D of T
agree

I have been preparing a lot for the interview I just wasn't sure how much was necessary
Original post by Kate20
I feel I should clarify. I do not advocate going in cold. Interviews should of course be prepared for but I do feel that mmi stations are very difficult to predict and there is little to be done in terms of preparation. Try to be up to date with current affairs and of course know your personal statement inside out but this is usually only useful if there is a face to face interview. At each university the mmi stations are usually the same for each candidate so the questions won't be specific to your work experience or personal statement. At least this is what I have found so far although this could be wrong for the universities I haven't yet attended

I understand what you mean. I found it relatively easy to study for my cambridge interview. But for my edinburgh one, and the two I have coming up, I didn't do much other than read my ps and current issues...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GBhopetobevet
Hi, can I ask how long the interview day at Surrey lasted, what sort of time did it finish?

It all depends on what group you're in, which you'll find out on the day. Some people are interviewed at 1, some at 2, and some at 3, and the interview lasts about 50 minutes. As soon as your interview finishes you're free to leave but you might like to stay and go on a tour / talk to current students that will be hanging around.
I have an interview at Liverpool in the near future and i'm still trying to get hold of 2 out of my 5 references that they ask for you to bring along to interview. I've emailed the admissions asking if my application will be jeopardized at all should i not have all 5 references by the date of my interview. Is there anyone who's already had an interview at Liverpool who didn't manage to get all 5 references? / Does anyone know if this will be a major issue? I'm planning to ring the admissions office on Monday to try and get an answer asap.

hi guys,
this is the vet bmat question for 2014? Its about humans gain more from treating animals or something like that...
Does anyone have for and against arguments for this topic please?
If you please feel free to share what you think about this topic
Vet Medicine Offers page : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine_Stalking_Page_2015#Bristol.2C_D100

Please complete your details/applications/offers/holds.

Very helpful to other 2015 applicants, and future applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending