The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eceidil13
hey guys, a bit of a silly question really but those who are going for interview at edinburgh - where are you staying if you are going for a night? i just know how the vet school is really far out and what are people doing about that? are there shuttle buses?

I'll drop you a PM. Creepy internet stalkers and all that :wink:
Original post by ailsab96
Can someone please help me with cat vaccinations? I am trying to freshen up my knowledge for my interviews, and can't remember the schedule for which boosters cats get, or how long they last before they need re-boosting...

Original post by TillyM
Hey, from research and experience most vets give routine vaccinations against feline leukaemia, cat flu, feline enteritis and feline calicivirus. Kittens are vaccinated at 9 weeks old and then given a booster at 12 weeks. They then receive annual boosters thereafter. Hope that helps!

Hi, vaccinations for dogs and cats are split into Core and Non-Core. The aim is that all animals should be given the core vaccinations and non-core should only be given to those animals that are at risk from that particular disease due to location, life style etc.

Core vaccinations for cats are: Feline Panleukopaenia and cat flu (Feline Calcivirus and Feline Herpesvirus). They are given at 9 weeks, 12 weeks and in some practices 16 weeks, then after 12 months and then every 3 years.

Commonly used Non-Core vaccinations for cats include: Feline Leukaemia Virus (FeLV) and Chlamydophila. FeLV boosters are needed every 3 years and Chlamydophila boosters are every year.

For more information the WSAVA guidelines are really useful (http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf) and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Good luck everyone :smile: x
Did anyone else get an invite to interview at Glasgow this evening? I thought I'd been rejected but apparently not!
Original post by sydneybridge
These are emails coming straight from Universities.

Because they are auto-generated by their data-system, many email providers process them as junk and dump them in spam folders. There is nothing the Unis themselves can do about this.

The only solution is to regularly check your spam folder.

Would you mind letting me know where this information is coming from? :smile: (Not doubting you or anything! Just checking that there's not a news source from vet schools that I haven't seen :tongue: )

Another note to fellow Gmail users, if emails aren't in your spam folders, be sure to check your Social and Promotions folders too :smile: I got rid of those ages ago but I've heard of emails ending up there. Gmail also tends to mark university correspondence as unimportant too, so I'd advise changing that to make it easier to find later :tongue: . If you want to be overly pedantic then you can configure a filter so that anything containing, say, 'university' never goes into your spam. But that might be a bit OTT :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emma.perry4
Did anyone else get an invite to interview at Glasgow this evening? I thought I'd been rejected but apparently not!

I've had an email saying a Skype interview will be arranged at the end of Feb and more details will be provided later. It wasn't really like an official invite though, so I'm not assuming it is right now.
Did you get an official invite?
Original post by AnimalArk
I've had an email saying a Skype interview will be arranged at the end of Feb and more details will be provided later. It wasn't really like an official invite though, so I'm not assuming it is right now.

Mines came through ucas, Glasgow haven't sent me anything directly yet
Does anyone know how many interview days Liverpool have left to give out ?
Original post by emma.perry4
Mines came through ucas, Glasgow haven't sent me anything directly yet

Ah okay. I'll probably get something soon!
Reply 5068
Has anyone who sent their notts interview reply slip by post got any confirmation email that they have received it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5069
Original post by Niamhmca
I'm planning a gap year as well as I had two rejections for veterinary medicine but I got my other three choices, what would you be planning to do on your gap year?

Just try to get as much work experience as I can, maybe a job as a farm hand or something? But also probably a bit of travelling! How about u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sax123
Just try to get as much work experience as I can, maybe a job as a farm hand or something? But also probably a bit of travelling! How about u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, I'm thinking the same thing! More work experience, hopefully a job at a pet shop like pets at home because it shows you can work with both animals and customers and hopefully some travelling / international volunteering
Reply 5071
Congrats on your interview call! :smile:
I got an invite for a Skype interview in end Feb too. Would you happen to know if those work similar to the mmis?
Reply 5072

Congrats on your interview call!
I got an invite for a Skype interview in end Feb too. Would you happen to know if those work similar to the mmis?
Original post by misras
Congrats on your interview call!

I highly doubt they will. They'll most likely be a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 interview. I'm not sure though.

Have you gotten a notification through track as well?
Reply 5074
I highly doubt they will. They'll most likely be a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 interview. I'm not sure though.

Have you gotten a notification through track as well?

Nope, I received an email too. But I'm an international applicant and I'm currently waiting on scores of an English proficiency test so I think they'll only make it official then.
(edited 9 years ago)

ohh well done :smile:
Original post by misras
Nope, I received an email too. But I'm an international applicant and I'm currently waiting on scores of an English proficiency test so I think they'll only make it official then.

Oh okay. Good luck!
I don't know why mine hasn't updated on track yet. My representative said they'd sent her an email and said they were sending me one too where I could choose dates, but I haven't gotten that either.
Original post by 0802
Has anyone who sent their notts interview reply slip by post got any confirmation email that they have received it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent a reply slip by post and didn't get any reply, but when had some other questions about the interview I asked if they had got my slip and they said yes.
Reply 5078
Original post by Sennokazeni
I sent a reply slip by post and didn't get any reply, but when had some other questions about the interview I asked if they had got my slip and they said yes.

Oh ok so they just haven't sent confirmation emails out its not that they haven't received them! That's a relief! When is your interview at notts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0802
Oh ok so they just haven't sent confirmation emails out its not that they haven't received them! That's a relief! When is your interview at notts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interview's next Wednesday (the 28th) - when's yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending