Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vethopeful1996)
    does anyone have any advice for how to prepare for/deal with rejections?
    Don't get depressed by it. Easy to say, but all through your life you will have these sort of disappointments and you just have to take it on the chin, accept it and move on. Uni, exam results, job interviews, even romance can bring this sense of rejection, and you just have to learn to accept that you can't please everyone.

Look long and hard at your PS. If you have 'survived' this long and get rejected at this stage, it is most certainly your PS that has let you down. Did you have enough work experience - months of it? A good mixture of clinical and 'other animal'? Did you say meaningful adult things about it? Did you show that you realise the big role vets have in farming/food production and public health? How did you reflect on any Vet events you've been to, or any relevant public lectures you went to? If you've been to any interviews, how would you rewrite your PS now in the light of the sort of questions you were asked? Does some of it look a bit baby-ish now ('my guinea pig died when I was 6', 'I just to work with animals' etc)?

It takes many. many people 2, or even 3, attempts to get into Vet school. You were competing with some of them this year. A year out will give you the opportunity to get more work exp under your belt over the summer, to write a better PS with a more adult, informed approach - and to be more confident when you get to interview. And you will have known A level grades. Most interviews are over by the end of March - so get a paid job, save some money and go travelling etc after Easter.

If you really (really) want to be a Vet you wont mind the disappointment and the wait to achieve this. However, you might also realise that actually instead of Vet you could readjust your ambitions to Vet Nursing, Zoology, Wildlife Conservation or a Bioscience.

Not everyone who wants to can become a Vet - there will never be enough Uni places to go round and some people will always miss out, no mater how good they are. Plough on with the A levels - because they matter - and keep trying.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    So I know this sounds quite pessimistic but does anyone have any advice for how to prepare for/deal with rejections? Still waiting on RVC but I know my interview went terribly anyway but I'm still just so jittery about it every time I get an email. I know a rejection is really a reflection of the level of competition but I can't help but think that after interview it is sort of a personal insult. I'm not good at dealing with rejection haha
    :console:

I understand completely as I'm in the exact same position as you; in limbo following a pretty disappointing interview. As you say, a rejection post interview is, in a sense, more harsh than one before. Exams can be resat, more work experience can be done, personal statements can be improved, but if the flaw is apparently YOU as opposed to your lack of experience, what are you supposed to do? Its rejection on a personal level after you made it so close to the finishing line. Of course it is going to hurt.

And it will hurt. It will hurt for days, weeks, maybe even months. But eventually those feelings will fade, and with time it will be remembered as just 'one of those things' as opposed to something that actively stopped you from getting where you want to be. I think we've all suffered rejection in the past. Thinking back to year 10, I was devastated when I was turned down for work experience placements. Now I think it's ridiculous that I ever allowed myself to get so worked up over it. My emotions were still perfectly valid at the time, but when you're upset you begin thinking irrationally. At the time I thought I had no chance of ever getting into vet school if I couldn't even do X, Y and Z before I applied. That obviously wasn't true. I worked around it, as we can work around this.

The thing about rejections, awful though they may be, is that they are very telling of the person that receives them. I'm not talking about their reaction to the disappointment (although that is also significant), rather the fact that they received one in the first place. If you got a rejection then that means you were punching above your weight, aiming for something out of your reach. We all know how competitive the course is; that is no mystery before or during the application process. It would be so much easier, therefore, to apply for something easier to get into. It would be so effortless to coast through life, never setting your sights higher than eye level and only taking the opportunities handed to you. Getting a rejection means that, if nothing else, you had the courage, grit and determination to do something that you knew may not end well. And you should feel proud of yourself for that.

Some people try to look at these situations by telling you that it's not the end of the world, but in a way, it is. It's the end of an imaginary world where everything was going to go well. If you've lived and made plans in that world for years then it's natural to be disappointed. People also say that 'it was meant to be'. I'm not sure if I agree with that, and it can definitely be hard to look at things that way when something awful happens. Whatever happens was not predetermined, but it's what will happen, and the best way forward is to reflect on performance this time and use what you've learnt to improve your other applications. Perhaps this is your first rejection, or perhaps it's your fourth, but regardless of that it is NOT the end of the road.

That's not to say that you're not allowed to be sad about it. It's a disappointment and it's healthy to react accordingly. Cry if you have to, but make sure that eventually you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on to the future. Fix up your application (for interview technique; practice with people, film yourself and watch it back, watch videos online, search up current affairs etc etc), and go and make the best of the other options that are still open. It also might help to keep a giant tub of ice cream in the freezer. It's hard to feel bad when you have Ben & Jerry's

Best of luck over these next few days. Our applications may end up with offers this time or they may not. I know I'm wishing for the former for the both of us, but even if things don't turn out the way we hope they will this time, I know we'll get there eventually with a bit of determination You still have other universities to hear from, and if they don't give you the response you're after go off and have an amazing gap year and try again. Loads of people end up trying two, three or even four times to make it, you'll get there if you want it enough.

(Anyway, think of all they money we'll save by not living in London )

All the best

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from RVC too I had interviews at Surrey, Bristol and nottingham too and I think they all went just as rubbish, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be rejected from those to. I guess I should start looking at gap year stuff now...
    I'd like to say thank you to the people on here who are always giving such good advice, such as Little Tail Chaser, it's realy helped with this feeling of heartbreak after being rejected.
    Congratulations to all people who have got offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greencat55)
    I got rejected from RVC too I had interviews at Surrey, Bristol and nottingham too and I think they all went just as rubbish, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be rejected from those to. I guess I should start looking at gap year stuff now...
    I'd like to say thank you to the people on here who are always giving such good advice, such as Little Tail Chaser, it's realy helped with this feeling of heartbreak after being rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to pry but are these rejections from a similar spread of interview dates/ types of app? And I guess no one would know but it would be really useful to know how many offers/rejections have gone out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sax123)
    Sorry to pry but are these rejections from a similar spread of interview dates/ types of app? And I guess no one would know but it would be really useful to know how many offers/rejections have gone out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was interviewed on December 10th and I am a reapplicant and I got my rejection today

I'm sure if you've not heard yet though it's probably good news, they said that they would let you know either way as soon as they'd decided so if they've not rejected you yet it's probably good news

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm genuinely really sorry to hear that :console: . Still, the game isn't over yet, and the fact that you managed to get four interviews shows that you're probably a much better applicant than you think I know I'm awful for overanalysing things and dwelling on my negative qualities, I'm sure your interviews went better than you think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    :console:

I understand completely as I'm in the exact same position as you; in limbo following a pretty disappointing interview. As you say, a rejection post interview is, in a sense, more harsh than one before. Exams can be resat, more work experience can be done, personal statements can be improved, but if the flaw is apparently YOU as opposed to your lack of experience, what are you supposed to do? Its rejection on a personal level after you made it so close to the finishing line. Of course it is going to hurt.

And it will hurt. It will hurt for days, weeks, maybe even months. But eventually those feelings will fade, and with time it will be remembered as just 'one of those things' as opposed to something that actively stopped you from getting where you want to be. I think we've all suffered rejection in the past. Thinking back to year 10, I was devastated when I was turned down for work experience placements. Now I think it's ridiculous that I ever allowed myself to get so worked up over it. My emotions were still perfectly valid at the time, but when you're upset you begin thinking irrationally. At the time I thought I had no chance of ever getting into vet school if I couldn't even do X, Y and Z before I applied. That obviously wasn't true. I worked around it, as we can work around this.

The thing about rejections, awful though they may be, is that they are very telling of the person that receives them. I'm not talking about their reaction to the disappointment (although that is also significant), rather the fact that they received one in the first place. If you got a rejection then that means you were punching above your weight, aiming for something out of your reach. We all know how competitive the course is; that is no mystery before or during the application process. It would be so much easier, therefore, to apply for something easier to get into. It would be so effortless to coast through life, never setting your sights higher than eye level and only taking the opportunities handed to you. Getting a rejection means that, if nothing else, you had the courage, grit and determination to do something that you knew may not end well. And you should feel proud of yourself for that.

Some people try to look at these situations by telling you that it's not the end of the world, but in a way, it is. It's the end of an imaginary world where everything was going to go well. If you've lived and made plans in that world for years then it's natural to be disappointed. People also say that 'it was meant to be'. I'm not sure if I agree with that, and it can definitely be hard to look at things that way when something awful happens. Whatever happens was not predetermined, but it's what will happen, and the best way forward is to reflect on performance this time and use what you've learnt to improve your other applications. Perhaps this is your first rejection, or perhaps it's your fourth, but regardless of that it is NOT the end of the road.

That's not to say that you're not allowed to be sad about it. It's a disappointment and it's healthy to react accordingly. Cry if you have to, but make sure that eventually you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on to the future. Fix up your application (for interview technique; practice with people, film yourself and watch it back, watch videos online, search up current affairs etc etc), and go and make the best of the other options that are still open. It also might help to keep a giant tub of ice cream in the freezer. It's hard to feel bad when you have Ben & Jerry's

Best of luck over these next few days. Our applications may end up with offers this time or they may not. I know I'm wishing for the former for the both of us, but even if things don't turn out the way we hope they will this time, I know we'll get there eventually with a bit of determination You still have other universities to hear from, and if they don't give you the response you're after go off and have an amazing gap year and try again. Loads of people end up trying two, three or even four times to make it, you'll get there if you want it enough.

(Anyway, think of all they money we'll save by not living in London )

All the best
    Thank you, that has made me feel a lot better You are literally the best at advice! I especially like the idea of Ben and Jerry's :P haha Where else are you waiting to hear from? Good luck, I hope you get what you want
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that has made me feel a lot better You are literally the best at advice! I especially like the idea of Ben and Jerry's :P haha Where else are you waiting to hear from? Good luck, I hope you get what you want
    No worries

I was at Liverpool earlier this week and I have upcoming interviews at Bristol at Edinburgh, so it will probably be forever until I hear from any of those

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely really sorry to hear that :console: . Still, the game isn't over yet, and the fact that you managed to get four interviews shows that you're probably a much better applicant than you think I know I'm awful for overanalysing things and dwelling on my negative qualities, I'm sure your interviews went better than you think
    Thank you . I do the same with over anaylising and it just makes it worse, as in interviews im constantly thinking what i should say and not what comes to my mind, so it doesn't sound natural. I shouldn't make such a big deal out of it because I can always reapply and I've still got to hear back from the others. why does it feel like the end of the world?! :P
    Thanks again and best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    No worries

I was at Liverpool earlier this week and I have upcoming interviews at Bristol at Edinburgh, so it will probably be forever until I hear from any of those
    Good luck! I have Liverpool and Edinburgh coming up soon too so fingers crossed for those two! Probably won't hear til late march, how depressing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you . I do the same with over anaylising and it just makes it worse, as in interviews im constantly thinking what i should say and not what comes to my mind, so it doesn't sound natural. I shouldn't make such a big deal out of it because I can always reapply and I've still got to hear back from the others. why does it feel like the end of the world?! :P
    Thanks again and best of luck!
    I think that stopping to think about what you're saying is a good thing! I'm the opposite, I tend to barf my opinions all over the place so I end up speaking nonsense. Taking time to think is great

Good luck! I have Liverpool and Edinburgh coming up soon too so fingers crossed for those two! Probably won't hear til late march, how depressing
    Best of luck for your upcoming interviews! I'm rooting for you

It seems like a long wait but just think how far we've come since October. All will be revealed soon

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else have an interview in surrey this coming week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misras)
    I interviewed in Singapore but haven't heard. I assumed they were going in order of interview dates but apparently not. Maybe they send out domestic and EU offers first?
    I also had my interview in SG, and I havent heard so I am hoping that international students will hear later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KathrynM123)
    Does anybody else have an interview in surrey this coming week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I do! On Wednesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any rough idea what proportion of people with Surrey interviews get offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anybody know if Glasgow takes people who retake an AS paper within the two years?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know I'm a bit out of place since everybody is talking about interviews and offers but I've been having this question for so long now.

Basically, I'm so torn between Bristol, Edinburgh and RVC for which one to go for. I've been given an offer from all three. I really like Edinburgh as a city but not very keen living in Scotland, probably due to the fact that it is so far from all my friends as most of them are down in the southern part of the country and also it will be very cold during the winter. Although I do prefer Edinburgh than Bristol as a whole, Bristol is nearer to London and hopefully not as cold. Also Bristol seems so amazing as well bot as a city and university. RVC used to be my first choice because it is recognized by around the world and the facilities looks amazing. However I think I prefer those that are multi departments? so instead of being dedicated to vet med only like RVC, I'd like if there are many other departments like law, languages etc so i can get to know a wider range of people.

I'd just love to hear other people's opinions on these unis. what do you think about these three?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol, no contest.

Unique approach to all Bioscience degrees with initial common courses that expose you to the widest breadth of science possible. First 3 years of degree on campus in Bristol (ie. you feel a proper part of the University, not isolated 'at the Vet school'). Superb state-of-the-art facilities with working farms, public clinics etc on site at Langford.

PS And the Uni/city is an amazing place to be a student : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chololatee)
    Hey, I know I'm a bit out of place since everybody is talking about interviews and offers but I've been having this question for so long now.

Basically, I'm so torn between Bristol, Edinburgh and RVC for which one to go for. I've been given an offer from all three. I really like Edinburgh as a city but not very keen living in Scotland, probably due to the fact that it is so far from all my friends as most of them are down in the southern part of the country and also it will be very cold during the winter. Although I do prefer Edinburgh than Bristol as a whole, Bristol is nearer to London and hopefully not as cold. Also Bristol seems so amazing as well bot as a city and university. RVC used to be my first choice because it is recognized by around the world and the facilities looks amazing. However I think I prefer those that are multi departments? so instead of being dedicated to vet med only like RVC, I'd like if there are many other departments like law, languages etc so i can get to know a wider range of people.

I'd just love to hear other people's opinions on these unis. what do you think about these three?
    First off, well done on getting 3 offers! Of those three I only applied to Edinburgh, and they're currently my insurance (I've had 3 offers as well). Edinburgh has great facilities and the city looks nice as well, my only personal issue being that the vet school is so far out from the city itself. I have a friend in third year there currently, and she's loving it.
    Ultimately its up to you, but I would choose Edinburgh (obviously I'm biased)
    Good luck choosing and congrats again on your offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from RVC :/ I still have an offer from Surrey though and still an interview at Nottingham to go so fingers crossed for that one.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.