Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DKR4810)
    I am in my final year studying BSc(Hons) Bioveterinary Science. I missed out on the grades I needed for vet school and was still determined to be a vet. The last three years have absolutely flown by and it hasn't felt long at all! I have had the most amazing three years with great experiences, and I have made life long friends and met my boyfriend here at my first uni and I wouldn't change it for the world if I went back and could do it again. I have had three extra years of learning and work experience and have matured a lot as a person, I am much more prepared for vet school at 21 than I was at 18! I have also already experienced three years of uni so have no concerns about vet school and feel fully prepared! In many other countries you even have to do another degree before your vet degree! I have had 3 interviews and an offer and I'm waiting to hear back from the other two. Yes a place isn't gaurenteed but if you are willing to do another degree first then your passion and experience will definitely show at interview. As for money if you are 'dead set' on being a vet money won't stop you! Please don't put other applicants off doing a degree first, everyone is different and it should be their choice to choose between retaking, gap years and doing another degree. For me doing a degree was the best decision I have ever made and now I can't wait to go to vet school in September fully prepared! If you really want to be a vet doing another degree first is worth it!
    I'm glad you have had such an amazing experience doing another degree first and it's great you could share your experience with everyone else on here. You are right that people should make an informed decision and that there are multiple options.

Out of interest how lenient are they with lower A level grades if you have a science degree?

I would, however, disagree that money can't stop you if you really want to be a vet. It certainly would have never been possible for me to do a 2nd degree and I know people who have dropped out of vet school on financial grounds after they couldn't scrape by with the tuition fee costs. The fees might also increase in future depending on who wins the next general election. At Liverpool fees were set at £20k/yr 4 years ago but are now reduced to 9k/yr... there's nothing to stop unis increasing their fees either. Not something to undertake lightly!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemoriartyell)
    kinda unrelated, but I'm just factoring in all the finances now and one thing im not sure about cost wise (after sorting out accom, tuition, travel and food) is costings for equipment/books etc. anyone hazard a price on those per year of a vet degree?
    To be honest you don't need to spend a lot of money on books since you can just use the library. However, I find it easier to buy some books which I think might be useful to me for multiple modules or once I am graduated. There also isn't enough books in the library for one per person (especially near exam season). Vet books are expensive and generally cost £50-£100s each. However, you can get 2nd hand books quite cheaply from older students or online (I got a histology book for £8 inc P&P !). I have also managed to sell a few of mine for around 80% of the price I got them for so they don't devalue that much if you need a bit of extra cash in future years.

Equipment will depend on your vet school and how quickly things get wrecked! This is what I've spent roughly over the last 4 years:
    Stethoscope (£70), wellies (£30), safety boots (£40), waterproofs (£80 - I keep getting holes in mine!), srcub tops (multiple tops = £60). I spend a lot of money on ink/printing too but some people just write notes so that'll depend on what you do (probably around £10/15 for ink & paper per week but I print a fair amount), stationary costs (pens, folders, etc.), uni approved calculator (£10). That's all I can think of at the minute! Also worth having a bit of money extra (if possible) in case something breaks such as your laptop.

I think the biggest expense of mine is EMS. My car alone cost quite a bit for MOT, tax, repairs, insurance (wouldn't have a car if it wasn't for EMS) and I spend in the region of £300-400 on petrol a year (depends how local your placements are).

Hope that gives you a rough guide - exact amounts will vary of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I'm glad you have had such an amazing experience doing another degree first and it's great you could share your experience with everyone else on here. You are right that people should make an informed decision and that there are multiple options.

Out of interest how lenient are they with lower A level grades if you have a science degree?

I would, however, disagree that money can't stop you if you really want to be a vet. It certainly would have never been possible for me to do a 2nd degree and I know people who have dropped out of vet school on financial grounds after they couldn't scrape by with the tuition fee costs. The fees might also increase in future depending on who wins the next general election. At Liverpool fees were set at £20k/yr 4 years ago but are now reduced to 9k/yr... there's nothing to stop unis increasing their fees either. Not something to undertake lightly!
    Bristol and Nottingham still wanted the grades required for undergraduate, Liverpool, RVC and Surrey all said a level grades wouldn't need to be considered if you have a degree Cambridge don't seem to like graduates as there was no information at all on their website and I'm not sure about Glasgow and Edinburgh as I didn't look into those due to the fees still being £20,000 plus!

I know money puts a lot of people off but there are a lot of ways to go about it. I have seen lots of people who have managed to pay their fees through sponsorship and even crowd funding. A friend of mine at RVC said most of her friends pay theirs through sponsorship, grants and working/savings. So many people do it and it's definitely possible I think you just have to look at all the options but I do agree it's not to be taken lightly and it can be stressful at times. Personally I applied to my first degree knowing that vet school fees were £20,000 plus but it wasn't going to stop me! thankfully they have been reduced now though and it should be a lot more manageable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somevetwannabe)
    Yep that would be me haha I take no offense however I know it was only a joke
    I was actually referring to myself and i must admit i have become quite used to slating for the playing the sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyvet)
    I think that there's 92 people on the facebook group so far...which means that roughly about 25% of the interviewees now have offers, so there's going to be more to come, don't worry!
    Do you think a similar number of rejections are out too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lochender)
    I was actually referring to myself and i must admit i have become quite used to slating for the playing the sport.
    Oh people never really took notice of it with me. Nice to hear that someone else on here plays it

ReputationRep:
    Bristol and Nottingham still wanted the grades required for undergraduate, Liverpool, RVC and Surrey all said a level grades wouldn't need to be considered if you have a degree Cambridge don't seem to like graduates as there was no information at all on their website and I'm not sure about Glasgow and Edinburgh as I didn't look into those due to the fees still being £20,000 plus!

I know money puts a lot of people off but there are a lot of ways to go about it. I have seen lots of people who have managed to pay their fees through sponsorship and even crowd funding. A friend of mine at RVC said most of her friends pay theirs through sponsorship, grants and working/savings. So many people do it and it's definitely possible I think you just have to look at all the options but I do agree it's not to be taken lightly and it can be stressful at times. Personally I applied to my first degree knowing that vet school fees were £20,000 plus but it wasn't going to stop me! thankfully they have been reduced now though and it should be a lot more manageable!
    Imagine all us poor international people who have a £20,000-£30,000 fee and almost no scholarships, grants or bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all for the responses that I am sure many of us are finding helpful. But, who are these sponsors, who are the 'crowd' that may offer funding? I don't know anyone I can approach for financial support; in my world everyone is pleading poverty - albeit relatively 'comfortable poverty' (sic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobevet)
    I know money puts a lot of people off but there are a lot of ways to go about it. I have seen lots of people who have managed to pay their fees through sponsorship and even crowd funding. A friend of mine at RVC said most of her friends pay theirs through sponsorship, grants and working/savings.
    Thanks to all for the responses that I am sure many of us are finding helpful. But, who are these sponsors, who are the 'crowd' that may offer funding? I don't know anyone I can approach for financial support; in my world everyone is pleading poverty - albeit relatively 'comfortable poverty' (sic).[/QUOTE]

No problem pharmaceutical companies, animal food companies, charities, large vet companies are all a good place to start. I know people that have had to send out hundreds of letters but you just have to persevere and hopefully you will get lucky. With many crowdfunding websites people get sponsorship from people with lots of money that want to do something good with it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobevet)
    Thanks to all for the responses that I am sure many of us are finding helpful. But, who are these sponsors, who are the 'crowd' that may offer funding? I don't know anyone I can approach for financial support; in my world everyone is pleading poverty - albeit relatively 'comfortable poverty' (sic).
    Crowdsourcing = websites like Kickstarter, Indiegogo and the like. The funding comes from anyone able to donate online . Some websites, like Patreon, allow you to give perks to people who pledge money monthly, so if you have a hobby such as art, music, vlogging etc, you might be able to make money that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimalArk)
    Imagine all us poor international people who have a £20,000-£30,000 fee and almost no scholarships, grants or bursaries.
    It will be that price for everyone once the free market in HE emerges after the next election in the cons win, which of course they will. If you are thinking of a gap year, do be aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    Any one had any offers from Liverpool?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lana241189)
    Any one had any offers from Liverpool?
    They haven't given any out yet as far as I am aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greencat55)
    That sounds great! Did you do that during the summer?
    I did, yeah! I'd been prepping for about six months before that while doing my ASs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sax123)
    Do you think a similar number of rejections are out too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really sorry, I have absolutely no idea! I should imagine that its a similar proportion (half the rejections given out). Lots of people won't say they've been rejected publically because they're upset about it, so its really hard to gauge figures.

ReputationRep:
    the whole fee situation is the most irritating thing as i am English but as i currently live overseas, i am now considered international so thats around 25000 to 30000 pounds a year, despite my parents paying taxes for years and years.

ReputationRep:
    Might have been asked already, sorry! But does anyone have offers from Edinburgh or Glasgow yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy2143)
    Might have been asked already, sorry! But does anyone have offers from Edinburgh or Glasgow yet?
    Why don't you check the university connect pages? Best place to get detailed info on that.

I definitely know international people have offers from both.

ReputationRep:

It's a small point mentioned here but you said notts still require the a level grades required for applying as an undergrad... I don't have them and they still gave me an interview?
    Maybe they're a little more lenient?
    Maybe they'll reject me post interview though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You get a full maintenance loan
    Christmas is cominggggg! Getting a loan I didn't think I was gettig YESS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.