The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sydneybridge
By September all 2015 entrants will have made all their possible decisions so what is the point in them 'going to have a look' at this stage? What are you going to do, change your mind once you've seen the place?

The Sept Open Days are all designed for 2016 entrants, NOT for those who already have a confirmed place. You have been interviewed, you saw the place then - why on earth do you need to see it again?

Well, quite, hence why I said it was far too late. Heck, even June is too late for deciding purposes really.

But, he's the admissions rep for the vet school, so I thought I'd ask.
Reply 6201
Original post by wanttobevet
Oh no.... Did this just come through? Was it pre or post interview. Sorry to be nosey, but I am expecting the same from them. D

Pre interview, got it on 6th march. I knew it was getting late anyway but Im worried the same will happen with Surrey.
Original post by idree5
Anyone that got into RVC do you mind if I ask what you got at gcse and what you chose?

I'll PM you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate20
Hey I have now heard from all of my Uni's (4 offers!) and am trying to make a decision. Does anyone know anything about AVMA accreditation? I think I may want to practise in America eventually and wondered (since I have to take exams to practise there anyway even if I graduate from RVC) if it really matters about AVMA accreditation? Am I able to still sit the american exams if i graduate elsewhere (are they different exams) or do I just lose the option of practising in America? Thanks guys and hopefully that made sense to someone? :smile:

From what I've been able to find out, it does make it quite a bit harder to qualify to practice in America if you don't go to an accredited school. If you go to an AVMA accredited university, you can take the NAVLE exam immediatly, but if you go to a non-accredited school you have to do another course and set of exams before you can even sit the NAVLE: called the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) certification program. This looks like quite a lengthy and expensive process.

https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/foreign/pages/default.aspx
Original post by Ieda
Pre interview, got it on 6th march. I knew it was getting late anyway but Im worried the same will happen with Surrey.

Thanks and good luck. D
Original post by 09brownk
Hi everyone. Was just curious to where people have applied for vet med and what offers people have already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Surrey, Glasgow, Bristol and Liverpool (first time applicant). Have conditional offers from Surrey and Bristol, I had an interview on Friday with Glasgow and have an interview on March 25th with Liverpool.
Slightly random but does anyone know if the parking is free at Bristol or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6207
Original post by izipony
Slightly random but does anyone know if the parking is free at Bristol or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you mean for interview - yes, its free at the visitors car park.
Original post by idree5
Anyone that got into RVC do you mind if I ask what you got at gcse and what you chose?

I got 9 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs. I did: Maths (2 years early), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Geography, Statistics, French, RE, English Lit, English Lang, Sports. Plus a Btec Money and Finance thing!
Original post by 09brownk
Hi everyone. Was just curious to where people have applied for vet med and what offers people have already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to RVC, Liverpool and Nottingham, got interviews for all 3 but withdrew from Nottingham pre-interview. Have an offer for RVC and just waiting to hear from Liverpool!
Original post by idree5

8A*s and 3As :smile: I did Maths, triple science, english lang and english lit, spanish, history, geography, religious studies and graphics :smile: hope this helps.
Original post by A-dad
if you mean for interview - yes, its free at the visitors car park.

I did and great thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6212
Original post by idree5

People worry too much about GCSEs. A levels matter far far more
I got 6 A stars and 4 As (in the 2 English subjects, PE and Art)
I did History and Spanish because I liked them and was ok at them

This is not stellar but definitely good enough for RVC
Having really good predictions for A levels (and good AS levels) does matter

RVC have a useful selection policy document on their website that is fairly new. Its worth a read
Don't worry I realise that was just thinking more in general!!!! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Pixelbark

But, he's the admissions rep for the vet school, so I thought I'd ask.

Whoever you spoke to probably meant that was what LAST September's Open Day was for.
Whoever you spoke to probably meant that was what LAST September's Open Day was for.

Without extending this further into debate, the chap quite clearly meant THIS September. If you would like to confirm with him yourself just send him a message (very friendly guy- so I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have), he's the leader of the Nott's 2015 fresher's group on Facebook- easily found if you do a quick search/it's linked on the 2015 applicants group page. I do agree with you that September isn't completely logical as it's way after decisions have been made, but don't shoot the messenger- that is what was said to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pixelbark
he's the leader of the Nott's 2015 fresher's group on Facebook-.

Self appointed. Still at school. No idea of how a University works. Totally unreliable.
Original post by idree5

I got 7A*s and 4As. I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English Literature, English Language, RE, German, History, Geography and Music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Self appointed. Still at school. No idea of how a University works. Totally unreliable.

If I may interject, PixelBark said that this person inquired about an offer holder day LAST year. He's therefore likely to be in first year, ergo I'm sure he has a good enough idea of how the process works. Why do you have to be so standoffish? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6219
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
If I may interject, PixelBark said that this person inquired about an offer holder day LAST year. He's therefore likely to be in first year, ergo I'm sure he has a good enough idea of how the process works. Why do you have to be so standoffish? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with LTC. Always a little careful to avoid direct criticism of people who are trying to be helpful, as I think nearly all of us are. (Last year one of the guys had a barney with an applicants mum and although it was gripping to read it didnt help anyone esp in March which is pretty tense for people without offers so far)
Some of the info on TSR and Facebook is an opinion, not necessarily correct, and we all need to take care before acting on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending