The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Are the University of London accommodation halls really far away from RVC? and can we choose which hall?
Hi guys!

I was just wondering what the application procedure is like for veterinary medicine in the UK. I know the UCAS system pretty well for medicine, but I was wondering if veterinary medicine is similar. For example:

Is it as competitive as medicine?

Do all the schools have an interview or only Cambridge?

Does the BMAT score OR the interview (if there is one) OR the personal statement play the biggest role in admitting students?

Which are the best veterinary medicine schools in the UK?
Original post by jemmmylim
Hi guys!

I was just wondering what the application procedure is like for veterinary medicine in the UK. I know the UCAS system pretty well for medicine, but I was wondering if veterinary medicine is similar. For example:

Is it as competitive as medicine?

Do all the schools have an interview or only Cambridge?

Does the BMAT score OR the interview (if there is one) OR the personal statement play the biggest role in admitting students?

Which are the best veterinary medicine schools in the UK?

Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are both very competitive. I have never applied for medicine but friends have and describe the same old stressful situations applying as I've had with vet med. As far as I'm aware, all schools interview cause it's that competitive however many places do what's called mmis which are multiple mini interviews. Anyone who has had one is required not to divulge what they did but there is plenty information on the Internet about them. Mine all had about 5/7 stations and then Bristol did mmis and a formal interview.

So far, BMAT is not required for any course but I think Nottingham will consider it if you've done one (you'll have to check their website as I can't remember if it was actually Notts!)
Other than that you generally get rated equally on all parts of the assessment, personal statement, mmi and if there is one, the interview.
And I believe that other than Cambridge (I didn't consider going there as it's too far for me) that Nottingham is a the top of the polls of current vet student's but it is obviously down on personal preferance... I like Nottingham cause at the interview day there was lots of free cake :biggrin: and the gave me a cute magnet.
I hope I answered everything!
Original post by TheBreatGritain
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are both very competitive. I have never applied for medicine but friends have and describe the same old stressful situations applying as I've had with vet med. As far as I'm aware, all schools interview cause it's that competitive however many places do what's called mmis which are multiple mini interviews. Anyone who has had one is required not to divulge what they did but there is plenty information on the Internet about them. Mine all had about 5/7 stations and then Bristol did mmis and a formal interview.

So far, BMAT is not required for any course but I think Nottingham will consider it if you've done one (you'll have to check their website as I can't remember if it was actually Notts!)
Other than that you generally get rated equally on all parts of the assessment, personal statement, mmi and if there is one, the interview.
And I believe that other than Cambridge (I didn't consider going there as it's too far for me) that Nottingham is a the top of the polls of current vet student's but it is obviously down on personal preferance... I like Nottingham cause at the interview day there was lots of free cake :biggrin: and the gave me a cute magnet.
I hope I answered everything!

BMAT is required for cambridge and RVC :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys!

I was just wondering what the application procedure is like for veterinary medicine in the UK. I know the UCAS system pretty well for medicine, but I was wondering if veterinary medicine is similar. students?

Lots of info here about applying for Vet in the UK : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine

Not all schools ask for BMAT. Your PS is crucial. Both the 'why I want to be a Vet' angle and reflection on work experience.
Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Hmmm yeah it seems like the PS and interview are both be very important.

Regarding PS and work experience: I've always kind of had an interest in animals, but on paper all I have is a Conservation Ambassador stint I did for 6 weeks at the Singapore Zoo and working as a Veterinary Assistant for a month at a vet clinic. I'm assuming that wouldn't cut it right :/ What (else) do you guys suggest I can do to beef my application up and would also teach me more about the vet lifestyle?

(Problem also is that in Singapore we don't have an abundance of farms and wildlife)

Regarding interviews: what do they ask at the interviews? For Cambridge I'm sure it would be purely academic, but for the rest of the universities is it academic or do they ask about your personality etc?

Regarding my IB results: I got 44 for Bio Chem Math HL, lost one in Lit. But I think 44 should be good enough so I'm not worried there.

For BMAT: How high should I be aiming here? What do I need to get to be 'good enough' for RVC and/or Cambridge?

Thanks so much again guys!

Original post by TheBreatGritain
x
Original post by Alex15
x
Original post by sydneybridge
x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chololatee
Are the University of London accommodation halls really far away from RVC? and can we choose which hall?

I believe they're in and around Russell Sq. Gardens in Bloomsbury, which is about a five minute walk from Euston and therefore about 15-20 from the RVC, depending how fast you walk. In terms of choosing, I think you can give a preference to stay in the UoL halls but not which one, if that makes sense?

Regarding PS and work experience: I've always kind of had an interest in animals, but on paper all I have is a Conservation Ambassador stint I did for 6 weeks at the Singapore Zoo and working as a Veterinary Assistant for a month at a vet clinic. I'm assuming that wouldn't cut it right :/ What (else) do you guys suggest I can do to beef my application up and would also teach me more about the vet lifestyle?

(Problem also is that in Singapore we don't have an abundance of farms and wildlife)

Regarding interviews: what do they ask at the interviews? For Cambridge I'm sure it would be purely academic, but for the rest of the universities is it academic or do they ask about your personality etc?

Regarding my IB results: I got 44 for Bio Chem Math HL, lost one in Lit. But I think 44 should be good enough so I'm not worried there.

For BMAT: How high should I be aiming here? What do I need to get to be 'good enough' for RVC and/or Cambridge?

Some universities use both the PS and interview to decide whether you're given a place. Others (and, I believe, the majority) use the PS to decide who gets interviewed, and from there everybody gets a 'blank slate' and interview performance alone is what decides who gets an offer. Either way its in your best interest to make both as good as possible.

In terms of work experience, if not many placements are available then just do what you can. I would suggest going to another vet clinic, and preferably a large animal practice, if possible. Are there any stables/riding schools where you could volunteer? Any kennels/catteries? I'm not sure if internationals are given some sort of mitigation on the wex front (if there's literally no farms you can go to then there's not much you can do so I'd hope so!) but it might be worth looking into places less stringent about work experience. Cambridge tend to be very relaxed about it for starters. It might be worth reading the 'Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible' at the top of the forum for more info :smile:

Regarding interviews, I'm not at liberty to discuss specific questions, however I'll let you know that most UK vet schools now use the MMI (multiple mini interview) format, with several 'stations' on different topics, that candidates rotate around. Stations can include a base about work experience, career exploration (are you aware of all the avenues you can go down following a vet degree), animal welfare (eg identifying poor animal welfare, are you familiar with the legislation etc etc), ethics/moral dilemma, a science-based/interpretation station, a maths station (a dosage calculation :tongue: ) and some sort of prioritisation task, among others. A practical task to test manual dexterity may also be included. Some places provide a list of MMI station titles on the interview invitations.

For BMAT, I can't comment on Cambridge but I don't think the RVC are particularly strict about it. My score was only very slightly above average and that was seemingly good enough :tongue: I think RVC have a pretty hollistic approach anyway. I know Cambridge rejected some people this year before BMAT results even came out so thats not the first thing they look at.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

There aren't that many farm experiences in the Philippines either, so I basically did something similar to you, 1 month of zoo and 1 month of veterinary clinic, but I also had several hours of animal shelter. I'm guessing the more work experience the better, but it's not crucial for all vet schools.

Cambridge was mostly academic, but I wouldn't say purely (as said in many other posts, I can't disclose details, sorry :/ ) The other unis I went to were a mix of personality, interests, and academics.

Your IB Results are amazing!!! Definitely don't worry about those. (I'm IB as well)

And as to BMAT. Really try doing your best and revise as early as possible. I did not do very well on my BMAT, so I was quite surprised to get an offer, but it does add extra stress when your BMAT didn't go as well. For context, I got 4.2, 5.7, and 3.5A for my BMAT, but I know others who got in the 6s or higher who also have an offer. Kind of wish I'd revised a bit earlier actually. I know nothing about RVC though sorry.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 6329

The only uni that requires BMAT scores for international applicants is Cambridge. So you've got nothing to worry about! :smile:
Reply 6330

Hi
For the answers to some of your questions you need to look at the vet schools websites. This takes time but must be done for you to submit a good application
For BMAT, here is something I have written that I hope helps:

There isn’t any doubt that the BMAT is critical for the RVC and Cambridge. Nobody knows exactly what score you need to get an interview. Data from 32 applicants on TSR to RVC for 2014 who have BMAT scores shows that of the 25 people who got an interview, their scores averaged 5.1 ,4.7 and 3.2A. Having got an interview BMAT scores do not determine whether offers are made but the average of the 13 who got offers was 5.5, 5.2, 3.5A. There may be a correlation between BMAT performance and performance at interview; I’m sure RVC thinks there is. I think the main thing here is that you need to average over 5 in sections 1 and 2 and get a reasonable score in section 3 (2.5A or 3B) to be fairly confident. TSR isn’t representative of the entire applicant population.

The BMAT is an absolute brute but if you think you are good enough to get into Cambridge or the RVC you shouldn’t be deterred. Good students get only slightly more than half the questions right; this is unfamiliar territory for most high-fliers. It tests lots of thing: 1. Reasoning powers 2. Working under pressure at speed (esp section 2) 3. Essentially how much you are prepared to do to get into vet school 4. Literacy, general knowledge and common sense as well as written communication
Do all the past papers under strictly timed conditions. If there was more time people would do better. For section 2 practices stop a minute before time and guess the questions you don’t attempt.
For some section C is relatively easy, especially those who are doing humanities third subjects. However most have to work at it. If you argue sensibly, spell correctly and your answer is readable you will get an A. It’s marked by 2 people and averaging more than 3 is really good (and more than sufficient). Almost nobody is good at all parts of the BMAT. Do practice tests and find out which is your weakest part and work on it. Do questions in your weak areas and get teachers to help you with specific weaknesses such as genetics, specific question formats
Section 3. It’s mainly about ethical issues and having thought about them beforehand helps. Always discuss the counter-argument but come to a conclusion
Plan your essay. 60-65% of students get an A. Write legibly. Check your spelling. Show the examiner that you understand the question. Answer all parts of the question
There is no right or wrong answer, don’t be afraid to express different but well argued opinions
Practise doing section 3 after doing sections 1 and/or 2 to simulate the tiredness that the exam will cause etc

Some parts of the BMAT are harder than science subjects and maths at A level. That’s why Cambridge and RVC use it (and possibly Bristol soon). But I think it’s mainly about performing well under time pressure
Have Bristol given out any post interview rejections does anyone know? Or are they saving them all for the last minute? Still haven't heard after my interview but still trying to hang onto hope haha
Original post by EmJohnston_
Have Bristol given out any post interview rejections does anyone know? Or are they saving them all for the last minute? Still haven't heard after my interview but still trying to hang onto hope haha

I'm pretty sure at the interview day they said they were not gonna send out any rejections until right at the end of march, or whenever it is that they send out the main bulk of their offers after all the interviews (: Just try and remember that they do give offers to 60% of people they have interviewed, so the odds are not against you ahaa! (:

Cambridge really isn't purely academic - one of your interviews will be with somebody who's a director or studies for a different subject. Not saying that you are, but I wouldn't apply to Cambridge thinking it'll all be about academics, because although they don't ask for x number of weeks work experience, they do expect you to have learnt a lot from the placements you have done. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmJohnston_

Anyone who scored over 90% at interview got an offer within two weeks, everyone else has to wait until the end of March when they finish all their interviews and send out acceptances/rejections.
Has anyone heard anything from Edinburgh?:smile:
I had an interview there on the 25th Feb, but have yet to hear back!
Original post by BethJaye
Has anyone heard anything from Edinburgh?:smile:
I had an interview there on the 25th Feb, but have yet to hear back!

They're expecting to send out rest of UK (excluding Scotland) decisions from the 23rd March onwards :smile:
Reply 6337
Original post by Vethopeful1996
They're expecting to send out rest of UK (excluding Scotland) decisions from the 23rd March onwards :smile:

I believe the rest of the Scottish offers are being given out from then also!
What is everybody putting as their insurance choice? Is it worth putting 2 Uni's with the same grades? I'm guessing the 2nd one is not likely to accept you if you are don't meet the grades. (are Surrey and Liverpool lenient?)
Original post by goonieskellie
I'm pretty sure at the interview day they said they were not gonna send out any rejections until right at the end of march, or whenever it is that they send out the main bulk of their offers after all the interviews (: Just try and remember that they do give offers to 60% of people they have interviewed, so the odds are not against you ahaa! (:

I thought so too, I was just wondering! The wait is getting to me a bit haha, I'm a reapp and so far I've only had one rejection back from four interviews, it's a long wait, it will be worth it in the end though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending