Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocroberta)
    Oh...my mistake, thought the last ones were yesterday. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha it's okay just thought I'd say so others know that final Surrey decisions won't be for a little while longer. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somevetwannabe)
    People with glasgow offers. Do you mind me asking when you heard? Like what time?
    Im a Scottish student still waiting on hearing back from glasgow too, it's hard to not be a bit anxious when the offers start getting handed out :confused: but hoping for the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessMcL01)
    Didnt get any offers absolutely devistated
    Same :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libby_4)
    Think the term dates are slightly different for the vet school?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departme.../semesterdates
    That's the freshers dates for the current first years because if it referred to this year the 8-12th is Tuesday to Saturday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libby_4)
    Think the term dates are slightly different for the vet school?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departme.../semesterdates
    So from what I've read on that site, the Edinburgh freshers week/ induction week begins September 8th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocroberta)
    Just out of interest, what did you do in your gap year? I only have one uni left to hear from and am pretty sure it'll be my fourth rejection so I'm going to need to plan my next year and do the best I can with it to give myself the best opportunity for next year round!
    f

Well, let's just say I did things abit differently so Im not your average 2nd time applicant! Haha!

Due to personal reasons, my two choices for my gap year were to either return to college or get a full time job. Since I knew 10000% that I wanted to reapply, I knew a full time job wouldn't work as I needed something flexible that would allow me chunks of time off for work exp.
    And so, I decided to do an art foundation course hahaha!
    I've always loved art and did it as a hobby throughout the wole of my a levels, and the course was also only 1 year long so fit perfectly. It was only 4 days a week which meant I could fit lots of work exp in, and the people understood what I wanted to do and let me have time off. It was actually a really good talking point for y interview at Bristol, and kinda showed that I have skills outside science.

In terms of the work exp I did, I spent atleast one 10 day hour a week working in a small animal practise. I worked full time in a practise over the summer and volunteered at a greyhound race track on Tuesday evening. Having a part time job was also quite important I think because it shows you can balance a busy schedule. I actually didn't have much work experience - which is probably why Liverpool rejected me outright - so I think it was my interviews and personal statement that did a lot for me. I made sure to remember that vet sci isn't all about animals, it's about the people. I was actually quite blunt about this fact, talking a lot about public health and the realities of achieving the 5 freedoms.

I feel like I'm rambling, which I probably am, but I just want to help in anyway I can because I know how it feels to be facing a gap year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmaWema)
    So from what I've read on that site, the Edinburgh freshers week/ induction week begins September 8th?
    I don't think so. Could be wrong but that link takes you to the 2014/15 freshers dates whereas I think we should be focusing on the 2015/16 dates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somevetwannabe)
    I don't think so. Could be wrong but that link takes you to the 2014/15 freshers dates whereas I think we should be focusing on the 2015/16 dates
    It starts on 14th september

ReputationRep:
    Anyone any idea of how much equipment etc, if any, you need to buy for your 1st year?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehassall)
    Think its something to do with the school you went/go to, they explained it at interview but I didn't really understand! Congratulations though!!! Two in one day thats so amazing!
    (Original post by Stripes23)
    First of all, congrats on the offer! I got given an AAB offer last year. I think it's a contextual offer, so if you go to a school/college in the bottom 40% in the country I think it is, you'll possibly get given a slightly lower offer
    Ah right, I go to a ****ty little state school so that might explain it. Cheers

(Original post by LukeB398)
    Wow that's incredible congratulations! What grades did you get at GCSE and AS? Sorry to be asking all these questions but you know as well as anyone how hard it is to get an offer! Did you do over 15 weeks of work experience then? Its so difficult to balance school work, a social life and work experience as well as having a job that actually earns money, do you have any more advice? Sorry for pestering you like this hahaha
    Thank you My exam grades were nothing spectactular, mostly but not exclusively As and A*s. Least year I got aaae (**** maths :lol:). Yeah, I did just shy of 50 weeks (but a huge chunk of that was from a single long term placement that I did over 2 years), the breakdown is on my profile. It can be tricky to fit everything in, but vet school (and indeed jobs in vet medicine) has long hours so it's good to learn to balance your time well. My suggestion would be to do long term placements (I did a day per week at a farm for two years and an afternoon per week at a vet) as the hours you spend there can build up quickly. Also, if you can, combine wex with a paid job. Are there any animally places nearby that are hiring?

No worries about the questions, I'm glad to help

ReputationRep:
    Oh right ok!! So does the vet school start at the same time as the main uni then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk981)
    Anyone any idea of how much equipment etc, if any, you need to buy for your 1st year?
    I'm only speaking for Liverpool here but we were required to have steel toe capped wellies, overalls, waterproofs and a lab coat (howie style)
    Don't buy any books as you never know what will suit you and all unis have them in the library, you can usually get them cheaper when you get to uni.
    The only thing I had extra to those above was a stethoscope, but that's because prior to getting my place at uni I was a vet nurse, it's not essential, and you only need it during the first 3 years if you do any clinical ems placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    I'm only speaking for Liverpool here but we were required to have steel toe capped wellies, overalls, waterproofs and a lab coat (howie style)
    Don't buy any books as you never know what will suit you and all unis have them in the library, you can usually get them cheaper when you get to uni.
    The only thing I had extra to those above was a stethoscope, but that's because prior to getting my place at uni I was a vet nurse, it's not essential, and you only need it during the first 3 years if you do any clinical ems placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it worthwhile buying anything before university starts, or is stuff availible from the student union during Fresher's week/once the course starts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk981)
    for glasgow, we had waterproofs, boiler suits, medical scrubs, labcoats, white wellies and textbooks, but those aren't necessary as the library has them or you can buy them second hand/find them cheaper online. for second year we need a stethoscope as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaarlotte)
    for glasgow, we had waterproofs, boiler suits, medical scrubs, labcoats, white wellies and textbooks, but those aren't necessary as the library has them or you can buy them second hand/find them cheaper online. for second year we need a stethoscope as well.
    I plan on Firming Glasgow so just wondering roughly how much that costs? Like is it overly expensive ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    Don't be disheartened about being unsuccessful, I was a re-applicant. I applied three times before getting into Liverpool last year. Make sure you get feedback from all universities that have rejected you, in particular interview feedback is helpful. Work using that feedback to strengthen your interview technique/personal statement. Make your gap year productive, Between being rejected in january 2013 and my interview in 2014 I worked as a trainee vet nurse in a practice for a year, which massively benefitted me when it came to interviews because I had seen so much in practice and I had lots to talk about. If that isn't an option for you work on different work experience placements, try unusual ones as well as normal ones, and don't give up!
    Thank you, this given me much more hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJohnston_)
    Well done on your offers! Was your Nottingham rejection pre or post interview?
    It was pre interview. I think I'm going to try and get some feedback from them because I had my only offer from them last year and hen just missed out on the grades so didn't get in. Obviously nothing has really changed on my application this year apart from the fact I almost have the grades already and I have significantly more work experience, so it doesn't really make sense to me. But obviously I'm extremely grateful to have the offers that I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
    You could just withdraw from Liverpool on ucas give someone else a chance? [/QUOTE]

If you know you're going to firm Surrey withdraw your application from Liverpool, you could be giving someone else desperate to get to vet school a chance [/QUOTE]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's what I've decided to do. It was my birthday yesterday and I had said to myself 'if I haven't heard from Liverpool by my birthday then I'll withdraw'. Of course it would've been really interesting (and a bit selfish tbh) to know what they would have said and if I would have had an offer, but they were never going to be my first choice and if I know I'm going to Surrey anyways then there's no need. You're right, by withdrawing I will be giving another deserving hopeful a chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I've decided to do. It was my birthday yesterday and I had said to myself 'if I haven't heard from Liverpool by my birthday then I'll withdraw'. Of course it would've been really interesting (and a bit selfish tbh) to know what they would have said and if I would have had an offer, but they were never going to be my first choice and if I know I'm going to Surrey anyways then there's no need. You're right, by withdrawing I will be giving another deserving hopeful a chance!

Good for you 😀😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Is it worthwhile buying anything before university starts, or is stuff availible from the student union during Fresher's week/once the course starts?
    For Liverpool overalls and waterproofs are available from the veterinary society shop, wellies and lab coats will need to be brought elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.