Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuckbeansy)
    Four interviews, four rejections, struggling to see the point of reapplying at the moment. It would be easy to put a lack of work experience right in a gap year, but if I can't get even one out of four think I've got what it takes when I'm sitting right in front of them then I obviously have a massive problem...I'll ask for feedback but has anyone else managed to fail as spectacularly as this?
    Four interviews is brilliant, you are clearly doing something really 'right', but need to address the interview performance ... Having something as clear as that to focus on will be a huge advantage to you when you apply again.... Which with 4 interviews this year ... You must apply again. Bristol state very clearly that when you go there for interview the outcome is based entirely on the interview performance 'on the day', if you are worried about interview performance perhaps avoid applying to those uni's that emphasise interview performance above all else. Once you get over the disappointment of rejection I am sure you will apply again and hopefully be successful next year as many of us reapplicants are this year. D

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh just got an offer!! Now to choose Liverpool or Surrey!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Has your Liv offer only just come through? Still waiting and it's killing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vethopeful1996)
    Are you a first time applicant? I had 4 interviews as well and 3 rejections post-interview, and one offer (from RVC). I know how crappy it feels to be rejected (especially post interview) because it feels so personal but honestly they wouldn't have invited you to interview at all if they didn't think you were amazing. They just have so many high quality applicants that unfortunately they can't accept them all, and for those vet schools which give you a clean slate once you've reached the interview stage (probably the only reason I got into RVC was because they still consider everything else - grades, work experience, etc. - when making post-interview decisions) you can't just hope that your work experience and grades will balance out a bad interview performance. All they have to base their offer/reject decision on is that very small period of time during your interview where, due to nerves and natural differences in peoples' confidence and social abilities etc., some people do just manage to have the edge by maintaining composure and seeming confident even when they are panicking inside. I feel I prepared very well for my interviews but I am a very shy person when I am with people I don't know well, and could barely form a sentence to answer some of the questions in my interview! I completely understand why the three who rejected me did so (tbh if I was the way I came across in my interview all the time then they probably thought I wasnt fit to be a vet) but it can be very frustrating when you think that some people are just naturally more outgoing than others and handle these situations better, hence giving them the edge even if they don't necessarily know more than you.
    With regards to reapplications or not, obviously I don't know whether this was your first applicant or not but if this is really what you want to do then don't let one year of disappointing outcomes make you give up on your dream! I was a gap year applicant but didn't apply last year and made the mistake of not making use of my college's practice interviews. If you have any of these offered to you, definitely make use of it as the practice interviewer can be completely honest with you afterwards and give you specific details about what went well/what went less well, as opposed to the unis who generally give pretty vague feedback after rejection. Obviously you can use your first 4 interviews as practice too - while you may not have been successful in securing a place this year (which by the way, may not even be the case - I have heard of many people receiving results day offers if a lot of firm offer holders don't make the grades etc.), the 4 interviews you have had already were by no means a waste of time you now know the sorts of things you will be asked next time and can prepare much better for them for next year. A gap year will also allow you to build your confidence as a person, especially if you do something outside of your comfort zone (idk, get a new job or travel to another country to volunteer if you can afford it, anything you like!) and all these things will help build you as a person. I've heard of many people who have gotten in on their third or even fourth time applying - so don't give up hope just because you had a bad year. If this is what you want then you will get it eventually if you try hard enough, that's the way I see it. do you mind me asking where you applied? Because one thing I would say with reapplying is take care when deciding where to reapply to - some vet schools such as Nottingham won't accept a reapplication after you've been rejected post-interview so it would be a waste of an application to apply to them only to be rejected pre-interview this time (I know someone who did that). If you do decide to take a gap year and try again, just enjoy your year and try to do something which YOU feel will make it worthwhile - of course the vet schools would love it if you filled it all with work experience but at the same time, you clearly had enough w/e to get to interview this year so the main focus should now be building your knowledge base and confidence from the w/e rather than just accumulating weeks upon weeks of varied experience.
    Sorry this has been a massive ramble but I hope it is helpful to you and I wish you the best of luck should you decide to reapply
    That's great advice but what I'd add is that if you're not a confident person then you definitely need to work on that! Go out and just go up and talk to new people in new environments. If you're wanting to be a vet (which most people applying to vet med do) then you need a charisma and personality which make people like you and respect your advice; otherwise they won't come back! I did drama and that massively helped my confidence. Just my opinion anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vet123)
    Ahhh just got an offer!! Now to choose Liverpool or Surrey!
    Tell Surrey to 'do one' they are keeping hundreds waiting, completely unreasonably. They don't deserve you or the others they are messing around ... Including me, obviously. 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobevet)
    Tell Surrey to 'do one' they are keeping hundreds waiting, completely unreasonably. They don't deserve you or the others they are messing around ... Including me, obviously. 😀
    I think they're keeping people waiting because they figure people will decline them or (God forbid) miss their offers.
    Good luck to those on the waiting list!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShellySpielberg)
    I think they're keeping people waiting because they figure people will decline them or (God forbid) miss their offers.
    Good luck to those on the waiting list!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's exactly what they are doing, but that doesn't make it reasonable. I think that if they are prepared to treat their potential students as completely powerless recipients of their 'generous gift of an offer' that may betray their real attitude to their students.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the deadline for letting unis know was 6th may so why are surrey telling people on the 7th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diplodocus7789)
    Congratulations! Has your Liv offer only just come through? Still waiting and it's killing me.
    It came through at 6pm on ucas yesterday!
    Have you heard yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobevet)
    That's exactly what they are doing, but that doesn't make it reasonable. I think that if they are prepared to treat their potential students as completely powerless recipients of their 'generous gift of an offer' that may betray their real attitude to their students.
    I think you need to think a bit more clearly about the commercial realities of running a University.
    It isn't all about potential applicants feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where to find Surreys university ID number for the accommodation website? I can't find it anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty135)
    Does anyone know where to find Surreys university ID number for the accommodation website? I can't find it anywhere!
    I think it's S85 if that's what you mean like the code?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ieda)
    Yes. I will do it if that means I get into veterinary! I am just worried of being unstructured, having to do a job and work experience for another year, and taking the risk of not getting in again. Yeah thats really helpful thank you. May I ask how much work experience you did throughout your gap year? I got 16 weeks in total from the beginning of AS till now.

Last year I had 1 post-interview rejection and 3 pre-interview rejections. I was so disappointed and it did put me off reapplying for veterinary. However, I still worked really hard to get the grades and proved to myself that I could do it! I decided to reapply, got a few more weeks w.e and managed to get a full-time job at a vet practice. I also think it's important to take advantage of your gap year, so now that the application is over I'm going travelling I got 3 offers and 1 rejection with A*AA and 32 weeks we (on livs questionnaire). I am so glad I've had a year out, I feel that I'm a lot more confident and have had time to relax. It's also gone by so quickly! If you are set on becoming a vet I definitely would take a gap year. Plus Unis love reapps! Try and keep positive and good luck with next year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who's offered support and advice, I really appreciate it...getting my final rejection yesterday was really hard especially as they were all post-interiew, it somehow seems much more personal. Anyway, I'm planning a gap year to beef up my work experience and will work on whatever feedback I get from unis.

Plus Unis love reapps!
    Would you tell me why they love them - as I'm going to be one, this really intrigues me. And also advice on what I can do (apart from getting the grades) that will make them love me in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Would you tell me why they love them - as I'm going to be one, this really intrigues me.
    Because second-time applicants are more mature, better organised, have more work-experience and usually better thought out reasons for wanting to do Vet. And they are usually more confident and articulate at interview with more to talk about than just 'school'. And you have the grades - so half the guesswork from their point of view (even if we make an offer, will he/she actually get the grades?) is already done.

Just remember that you still need to be available for interview during a Gap Year - 'I'm in Australia working on a farm' or whatever is no excuse. So plan any travel for after Easter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diplodocus7789)
    Are any year 0 Liverpool applicants still waiting for a decision?
    I'm still waiting ;(

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them about this because I was having problems. They told me it's the 6 digit number that will be at the top of most of their emails to you. Mine still hadn't been working with that number but they also said it can take a few days for you to register on their system after you've firmed them. So if you've only just formed them maybe wait a few days before trying again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who's offered support and advice, I really appreciate it...getting my final rejection yesterday was really hard especially as they were all post-interiew, it somehow seems much more personal. Anyway, I'm planning a gap year to beef up my work experience and will work on whatever feedback I get from unis.

Would you tell me why they love them - as I'm going to be one, this really intrigues me. And also advice on what I can do (apart from getting the grades) that will make them love me in particular?
    Reapplying after being rejected shows real determination to become a vet and your passion for it. After a year out you are more mature and gain valuable skills.
    To improve on your application, firstly listen to the feedback they give you. Gain as much varied work experience as you can to put on your ps, it will also give you a lot to talk about at interview. Learn as much as you can from w.e so you're not caught out when put on the spot at interview! Go travelling or something to show independence. Overall they want to see your determination to become a vet and the relevant skills you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megannlizz)
    I emailed them about this because I was having problems. They told me it's the 6 digit number that will be at the top of most of their emails to you. Mine still hadn't been working with that number but they also said it can take a few days for you to register on their system after you've firmed them. So if you've only just formed them maybe wait a few days before trying again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok thanks!
    Have you firmed Surrey? Have you decided which halls you're staying in, I don't know between manor park or international house?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks!
    Have you firmed Surrey? Have you decided which halls you're staying in, I don't know between manor park or international house?
    Yes I have firmed them, but I haven't decided on which accommodation I want yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.