The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when Nottingham will let us know - the wait is killing me now!:frown:((

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 09brownk
It says that you won't hear back from you accommodation until the third week of August if you get the grades but I'm not sure what happens about unconditional offers because you obviously already have the grades haha. Congrats on your unconditional offer btw! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to the applicant day on April 20th so I'll ask then! Have you been/are you going to an applicant day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vethopeful2015
I'm going to the applicant day on April 20th so I'll ask then! Have you been/are you going to an applicant day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I went to one in March. It was really interesting and everyone there was so friendly 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm starting the RVC graduate course in September and we can do 6 weeks of EMS before starting. I know there are the 8 weeks of compulsory areas and then 4 weeks of other things - what sort of things did people do for the other things? I'd like to do something in a zoo or wildlife place if possible, does anyone know if these are accepted? Somewhere like paradise wildlife park.

If anyone can give me inspiration of things they have done or plan to do that would be helpful!
Original post by WannaBeVet2015
Does anyone know when Nottingham will let us know - the wait is killing me now!:frown:((

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea... I'm still waiting too!! :frown:
Original post by evian.
So I'm starting the RVC graduate course in September and we can do 6 weeks of EMS before starting. I know there are the 8 weeks of compulsory areas and then 4 weeks of other things - what sort of things did people do for the other things? I'd like to do something in a zoo or wildlife place if possible, does anyone know if these are accepted? Somewhere like paradise wildlife park.

If anyone can give me inspiration of things they have done or plan to do that would be helpful!

You would be best off contacting the university to find out what's accepted/what isn't. Vets go wild in South Africa is generally accepted as choice husbandry ems. I know for our choice ones at Liverpool we have to check if it's not your average normal placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6966
Anyone know of a timetable for Glasgow? I'm sure I found one a few weeks and stupidly didn't save it and I now can't locate it :-(
In drastic need of help - I have spoken to some really helpful and lovely people, but I still can't decide between Bristol and Liverpool.
I know you can't really base anything on League tables, but Liverpool is consistently higher in the rankings for Veterinary, and Bristol is higher in the general University rankings... which doesn't help me when coming to a decision between the two!
Does anyone know how the new courses (because I know Liverpool changed theirs recently) compare in terms of practical/hands on integration in the first few years, and the percentage of learning which is PBL/Self-directed in these two Unis?
I would really appreciate some help - even though I know that at the end of the day it has to be my decision!
Thanks in advance.
Original post by mk981
Anyone know of a timetable for Glasgow? I'm sure I found one a few weeks and stupidly didn't save it and I now can't locate it :-(

Drop me a PM and I can send you my timetable for first year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just firmed Edinburgh! Yay I'm so excited 😬 does anyone have any useful information about accommodation in Edinburgh (or anywhere in general)? Should I go catered?
Original post by ailsab96
In drastic need of help - I have spoken to some really helpful and lovely people, but I still can't decide between Bristol and Liverpool.
I know you can't really base anything on League tables, but Liverpool is consistently higher in the rankings for Veterinary, and Bristol is higher in the general University rankings... which doesn't help me when coming to a decision between the two!
Does anyone know how the new courses (because I know Liverpool changed theirs recently) compare in terms of practical/hands on integration in the first few years, and the percentage of learning which is PBL/Self-directed in these two Unis?
I would really appreciate some help - even though I know that at the end of the day it has to be my decision!
Thanks in advance.

At Liverpool you get 2 weeks of hands on animal handling at the beginning of the course. The weeks are split into lecture time, integrated learning sessions relevant to what you are learning that fortnight so for example we did the anatomy of the head and we then had a scenario related to nasal disease, you have 2 hours of clinical skills each week which is everything from suturing practice to scrubbing up/x-Ray positions etc. with each section of anatomy you learn there is a 3 hour dissection which is really good.
As for self directed learning, that is your integrated sessions as far as I'm aware, you have to go away and research yourself and then we go over it in a lecture in groups.
You're not going to get loads and loads of hands on whatever university you go to, you have to learn the basics before you're allowed to touch any living animal :wink:
I don't know about Bristol, when I went there I didn't like it but that's just me, I wouldn't have suited that university. I love Liverpool and I'm happy with my choice, it's a great city, loads to do, and the lecturers are really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmaWema
I've just firmed Edinburgh! Yay I'm so excited 😬 does anyone have any useful information about accommodation in Edinburgh (or anywhere in general)? Should I go catered?

Hi, I've firmed edinburgh too! I'm applying to Pollock halls (the catered ones), with my first choice being chancellors court. The reason I'm going for catered is I think it takes some of the stess out of moving away from home and allows you to make friends without moving into a flat with potentially complete strangers! See you in September! 😃
Original post by Islasummer2
Hi, I've firmed edinburgh too! I'm applying to Pollock halls (the catered ones), with my first choice being chancellors court. The reason I'm going for catered is I think it takes some of the stess out of moving away from home and allows you to make friends without moving into a flat with potentially complete strangers! See you in September! 😃

See you in September!! I'm hoping to get into one of the smaller houses in pollock halls because I saw on the Facebook page that the larger ones like chancellors court can be a bit too big but i still think that sounds really fun. I don't think there is an option to choose which house you want to stay in which kinda sucks :/
So excited 🙌😬
Original post by EmaWema
See you in September!! I'm hoping to get into one of the smaller houses in pollock halls because I saw on the Facebook page that the larger ones like chancellors court can be a bit too big but i still think that sounds really fun. I don't think there is an option to choose which house you want to stay in which kinda sucks :/
So excited 🙌😬

I got half way through applying for accomodation at pollock and you could chose between John Burnett (and the various rooms available),chancellors court (twin or single), Holland house (standard or large), or a 'traditional block' ( which I guess means the ones like grant and Baird?) but I don't think you can choose which specific block. Good luck in applying, hope you get the one you want! 🏠😃
Original post by Lizziefickling
At Liverpool you get 2 weeks of hands on animal handling at the beginning of the course. The weeks are split into lecture time, integrated learning sessions relevant to what you are learning that fortnight so for example we did the anatomy of the head and we then had a scenario related to nasal disease, you have 2 hours of clinical skills each week which is everything from suturing practice to scrubbing up/x-Ray positions etc. with each section of anatomy you learn there is a 3 hour dissection which is really good.
As for self directed learning, that is your integrated sessions as far as I'm aware, you have to go away and research yourself and then we go over it in a lecture in groups.
You're not going to get loads and loads of hands on whatever university you go to, you have to learn the basics before you're allowed to touch any living animal :wink:
I don't know about Bristol, when I went there I didn't like it but that's just me, I wouldn't have suited that university. I love Liverpool and I'm happy with my choice, it's a great city, loads to do, and the lecturers are really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much - this is really useful! I know they can't let us mess around with animals too much, but I wanted to know how much of the course was self-directed, because I am more of a lecture girl myself!
Thanks in advance.

Bristol has also completely redesigned it's course recently. I'm a current first year and we're the second year of the new course. Obviously I don't know much about Liverpool's course but Bristol's course is pretty hands-on. All through first year we get weekly Animal Management practicals, most of which are with live animals. We don't have a great deal of self-directed learning either - the vast majority of content is delivered either through lectures or practicals. We get a lot of practicals. Every Wednesday we have a three hour dissection class, mostly on dogs but in certain practicals we get given ruminant or equine specimens. Most weeks we either have physiology, biochemistry or histology practicals as well. The only self directed work we really do is coursework, which is called DSE here. For the science units you get three pieces in first year and the Animal Management you get two pieces to do, but they're not a big deal really, compared to exams. Bristol also has a barn at the city campus (as opposed to Langford) with two ponies, two goats and a variety of small animals which we're allowed to go in and handle whenever we want. It's intended to be educational but I know that a lot of people go there mainly to go cuddle guinea pigs and rabbits! If there's anything else you want to know just ask.
Thank you so much - this is really useful! I know they can't let us mess around with animals too much, but I wanted to know how much of the course was self-directed, because I am more of a lecture girl myself!

Our lectures at Liverpool are pretty much 9-5 every day except Wednesday. They are really good with lectures, at the end of each section we have a lecture where we apply the knowledge we've learnt which is so useful for actually seeing what the point is in the stuff they teach us. I forgot to say we also have pretty much weekly histology practicals too like Bristol :smile: they are both good universities, it just depends which city suits you best, go to both and see how you feel in each place that's my advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also deciding between Bristol and Liverpool, I never thought I would get a choice when I was choosing unis to apply for so I think I paid attention to the wrong things at open days. It would be really helpful if current students could answer a couple of questions I have.

What are the quality of online resources posted by lecturers, in case you wanted to go over something?
Both Bristol and Liverpool are big cities, as a countryside person myself, I was wondering how "green" each city is?
Having spoken to current Vet students, I got the idea that it is not always clear what you are assessed on in specific exams, coursework and practicals, how explicit are your lecturers in saying what topics ect. would be included in exams ect.?
What is the coursework like? What does it usually involve?
Thanks
Thank you to you Liverpool and Bristol students for taking the time to post responses to questions ... Appreciated. If anyone has a year one Bristol timetable they can post I, and I am sure many others, would appreciate it.
Anyone waiting for Nottingham.... I rang them last week and the person approving paperwork was away last week so they said they hope to have all decisions made by the end of this week! sit tight and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending