Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollyheartsgoats)
    Thank you! Well done on the dairy placement for you! You are doing so well for living in London Pretty jealous of your urban farm experience to be honest! I will have two long term placements now!! RDA and the vets! Soooo happy haha!
    Yeah it was a shame, the owners were pretty upset understandably. Fortunately (not that it's very happy) they had insurance so they didn't have to pay for the operaton as that would be very sad! It isn't the first death I have seen but it's the first unexpected one :/
    On a lighter note I hope you have a fantastic time on your dairy placement!
    It
    Living in London really isn't an excuse to be honest. I'm probably a bit behind though, I need more clinical work desperately. Thanks though, you're doing brilliantly as well, especially considering your age!

My farm is the best place in the world :love: . One of the workers has branded me 'Head Volunteer' because I'm up there so often .

The poor owners must have been devastated . It's so horrible when a death is sudden and unexpected. If the cat's condition had declined slowly then s/he could have been PTS, at least that way the owners might have had a chance to say goodbye.

Thank you, I hope so too! It's all the way in June, after my exams, but the herdsman invited me there so that I can see the place before I work there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I used to love the people's faces when I got on the bus after my dairy farm- wellies and all . Was amazing. Thanks, I wanted to make the thread because it'll hopefully cut down a bit of the work we do when people submit them to us for checking. Plus, its nice to have a bit of a guide.
    The bus drivers always give me dirty looks, haha . Thing is, I'm so used to the smell that I don't really notice it anymore, I only remember when people wrinkle their noses and exchange unsavoury murmurs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hijacking you... you doing the personal statements next cycle?
    I really need to start checking TSR more often.... out of habit!

To answer your question, of course! As much as I understand where the admissions is coming from, I always found it unfortunate and unfair that perfectly capable applicants who had put in so much effort into their applications could not get into their subjects of choice because of atrocious Personal Statements. Naturally, I am probably helping some terrible students as well, but I like to think that they have at least put in the time and the effort to submit a draft to TSR... something I personally did not do. So yes! I am guessing you are as well?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    The bus drivers always give me dirty looks, haha . Thing is, I'm so used to the smell that I don't really notice it anymore, I only remember when people wrinkle their noses and exchange unsavoury murmurs.
    I love cow smell, and horse. :cool: Maybe it's just me.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofssinfoxes)
    I really need to start checking TSR more often.... out of habit!

To answer your question, of course! As much as I understand where the admissions is coming from, I always found it unfortunate and unfair that perfectly capable applicants who had put in so much effort into their applications could not get into their subjects of choice because of atrocious Personal Statements. Naturally, I am probably helping some terrible students as well, but I like to think that they have at least put in the time and the effort to submit a draft to TSR... something I personally did not do. So yes! I am guessing you are as well?
    This is great news . You are very good with them. Yes, as much as I can but I enter clinical years this year at Leahurst so unsure of the time free. In addition I'm going to have my dog with me. Ultra excited for it as I can give her the time she deserves.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I love cow smell, and horse. :cool: Maybe it's just me.
    Of course not! I love it, which is probably cause for concern given that it's the smell of poo ...

I had to laugh today, the farmer had one of the goats on a leash, when out of the blue he said "She smells like a goat". Errr... a goat smelling like a goat? How'd he figure that one out?! :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is great news . You are very good with them. Yes, as much as I can but I enter clinical years this year at Leahurst so unsure of the time free. In addition I'm going to have my dog with me. Ultra excited for it as I can give her the time she deserves.
    Was your dog okay after her dental work?

I bet you're super excited to be able to keep her with you What's her name?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ooooohhhh What do you have?? I can't wait till 3rd year when I can have a dog myself!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ooooohhhh What do you have?? I can't wait till 3rd year when I can have a dog myself!
    She's a cavalier x pomeranian. Mainly cavalier looking though with pom-like ears. She's a little dear .

Dogs dental was good thanks . I paid for her to have extra fluids as well which seemed to bolster her a bit. She had three teeth out and a scale and polish. Back to herself once she realised she was at home and not at the scary vets where she starts shaking. Cost me £167 which I thought was really good when I got the fluids as well. (Fluids because she's six so borderline being considered OLD. Scary. I've had her since she was a puppy, and she's lovely).

I can talk about her for ages. Can you tell .
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    She's a cavalier x pomeranian. Mainly cavalier looking though with pom-like ears. She's a little dear .

Dogs dental was good thanks . I paid for her to have extra fluids as well which seemed to bolster her a bit. She had three teeth out and a scale and polish. Back to herself once she realised she was at home and not at the scary vets where she starts shaking. Cost me £167 which I thought was really good when I got the fluids as well. (Fluids because she's six so borderline being considered OLD. Scary. I've had her since she was a puppy, and she's lovely).

Aww, she sounds like a little cutie . Glad to hear her op went well :yep:

Heehee, that's just like me with rats, I could blather on for hours ...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Aww, she sounds like a little cutie . Glad to hear her op went well :yep:

Heehee, that's just like me with rats, I could blather on for hours ...
    Not too sure if I want to ask!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure if I want to ask!
    Too late!

I have three little gorgeous ratty girlies :love:. There's Rin, the black hooded, Ruby, the Siamese, and Dora, a Russian buff. They are genuinely the most affectionate pets I have ever had, and I absolutely love them to pieces.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

That is really not bad considering how expensive things are these days! I think the problem is that since practices charge so much, they expect the vets to earn as much, and therefore feel like they are getting ripped off with poor service.... in reality, vets most unfortunately don't earn that much I had an hour-long conversation a couple of days ago with a farmer who pretty much thought the vet was personally after him!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Too late!

I have three little gorgeous ratty girlies :love:. There's Rin, the black hooded, Ruby, the Siamese, and Dora, a Russian buff. They are genuinely the most affectionate pets I have ever had, and I absolutely love them to pieces.
    To be honest, I have had such little exposure to pet "rats" that I have trouble picturing them Not to mention that I am absolutely hopeless when it comes down to rodent breeds....
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That is really not bad considering how expensive things are these days! I think the problem is that since practices charge so much, they expect the vets to earn as much, and therefore feel like they are getting ripped off with poor service.... in reality, vets most unfortunately don't earn that much I had an hour-long conversation a couple of days ago with a farmer who pretty much thought the vet was personally after him!
    Yeah it would have cost me £250+ at my other vets I use. I prefer the more expensive vets as I feel they are more through, but the other vets does a good job and is cheaper.. they just don't explain things very well.. Its a real shame, but vet treatment does seem to cost an arm and leg. Like my flea etc advocate was £10 but I look it up online and I could have got three prescription doses for that price.. whenIgraduateitwillbebetter .
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I have had such little exposure to pet "rats" that I have trouble picturing them Not to mention that I am absolutely hopeless when it comes down to rodent breeds....
    Aww, rats are lovely! If I had some pictures of my babies on my laptop I'd put them on here but unfortunately I don't . Black hoodies are white with black head and a black stripe along the body (although my Rin is mismarked so she's a right splodgy mess). Siamese rats look similar to Siamese cats, with dark points on the nose, tail, feet etc. The only main difference is that in cats the lack of pigmentation in the eyes makes them blue, whereas in rats they're red. Russian buffs are just cream coloured.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it would have cost me £250+ at my other vets I use. I prefer the more expensive vets as I feel they are more through, but the other vets does a good job and is cheaper.. they just don't explain things very well.. Its a real shame, but vet treatment does seem to cost an arm and leg. Like my flea etc advocate was £10 but I look it up online and I could have got three prescription doses for that price.. whenIgraduateitwillbebetter .
    Let us know where

ReputationRep:
    Living in London really isn't an excuse to be honest. I'm probably a bit behind though, I need more clinical work desperately. Thanks though, you're doing brilliantly as well, especially considering your age!

My farm is the best place in the world :love: . One of the workers has branded me 'Head Volunteer' because I'm up there so often .

The poor owners must have been devastated . It's so horrible when a death is sudden and unexpected. If the cat's condition had declined slowly then s/he could have been PTS, at least that way the owners might have had a chance to say goodbye.

Thank you, I hope so too! It's all the way in June, after my exams, but the herdsman invited me there so that I can see the place before I work there.
    I guess it can't be used as an excuse, but I don't think you seem behind And thank you!

Aww wow! What an honor!

Yeah it was horrible, the cat seemed, from what the vet said, very healthy as well!

Aww that's lovely of him! Oh and good luck in your exams! I always forget that you guys are doing them as I still think of them as ages away for me...which they aren't really :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh28)

Thank you you're so lucky! How has work experience been so far? Are the vets/farmers normally friendly?
    All my work experience so far has been pretty good, I found SA vets a little boring as I much prefer to be outdoors getting my hands dirty. The vets I have has my work experience with so far weren't all that friendly which seemed weird when they have to deal with people every day!

My lambing placement was absolutely amazing and the farmers (and the whole family) were so so lovely and friendly! I knew of them through my young farmers club but didn't realise how at home they would make me feel!

I guess you can't predict how friendly anyone is going to be though, you just have to get through it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannapoole)
    All my work experience so far has been pretty good, I found SA vets a little boring as I much prefer to be outdoors getting my hands dirty. The vets I have has my work experience with so far weren't all that friendly which seemed weird when they have to deal with people every day!

My lambing placement was absolutely amazing and the farmers (and the whole family) were so so lovely and friendly! I knew of them through my young farmers club but didn't realise how at home they would make me feel!

I guess you can't predict how friendly anyone is going to be though, you just have to get through it!
    I wouldn't worry about the vet, some of the people at the practise I went to were less than amicable . I imagine that small animal vets in particular must get a lot of people that don't have a clue what being a vet entails, who just want a week of cuddling kittens. Their patience must wear thin eventually . Having quite a stressful job as it is, it's probably quite annoying to have to keep an eye on kids. Not all vets are like that, though . Maybe see if you can get some work at another practise, perhaps?

Glad to hear about your good experience on the farm though . Farmy people are the best people .

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.