The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7260
Original post by Gabriellameow
Guys I feel like I've messed up my chances in getting into veterinary medicine due to my f324 exam :frown: Not only was it hard (which I know i wasnt the only one) but i also experienced a panic attack during the exam which I never have had before. I know for a fact I havent done any better then an E. And I was an idiot as I let the f324 exam affect my other exams after it :/

I was just wondering , will I still be able to reapply to veterinary medicine if I retake my A levels. Also should I do more work experience this summer to boost my application for next year? Can I have any advice from people who were in the same position as me and had to retake their a levels to be a vet

I had to retake my a levels this year because I had ABBB and I still got offers. I did extra work experience in the summer just in case I didn't get the grades and then more afterwards before the deadline. It is very realistic to still become a vet if you resit so try not to worry too much. Best of luck with your results though!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I feel like I've messed up my chances in getting into veterinary medicine due to my f324 exam :frown: Not only was it hard (which I know i wasnt the only one) but i also experienced a panic attack during the exam which I never have had before. I know for a fact I havent done any better then an E. And I was an idiot as I let the f324 exam affect my other exams after it :/

I was just wondering , will I still be able to reapply to veterinary medicine if I retake my A levels. Also should I do more work experience this summer to boost my application for next year? Can I have any advice from people who were in the same position as me and had to retake their a levels to be a vet

You certainly can reapply if you resit your a levels!
The two obstacles you have are
1) you won't be able to apply to every vet school eg. Edinburgh will not even consider you if you've done a third year. Check entry requirements in each universities website. Also, by resitting you will most likely be expected to get higher grades eg. Liverpool often make offers at AAB but if you resit you WILL need AAA
2) due to changes in funding for education, your college/sixth form might be unable to let you do a third year (or may have conditions, like having to take an extra 2 subjects if you're just resitting one). Try and contact someone at your college asap to see if it's okay. Alternatively, some colleges have adult a level courses in evenings etc. I've never known anyone get in by resitting a subject that way, but research it and see if any colleges near you offer such services

As for work experience, if you have enough it's not nesssacary but do it anyway! As daunting as resitting is (I've just finished my 3rd year so I can sympathise) it's good to see at as an extra year to do even more experience and no one has ever been rejected from vet school for having too much WEX :biggrin:
Hope this helps, anymor questions then feel free to ask or pm me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by annie79
Hi,

I really need help with my personal statement! what is your email?

Join the 2016 veterinary medicine applicants page on Facebook and message on there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Results day may pleasantly surprise you, you never know! But anyway I got BBB first sitting (last year), got an offer from Liverpool and RVC, and an unconditional for RVC gateway. I did a lot more work experience this year, and tried to boost my application in all other areas so my poor grades would be of minimal importance. As someone said before just look into Unis that accept retakes, consider gateway courses too. My gap year has been a blessing in disguise, so don't be disheartened if you don't get it. If you really want it, you'll get there! Good luck x

I probably wouldn't advise to use that... Because before any lectures on anatomy, they won't understand half the words in it, and I even confused myself with the colouring book even after I'd had lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I probably wouldn't advise to use that... Because before any lectures on anatomy, they won't understand half the words in it, and I even confused myself with the colouring book even after I'd had lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup this. Wait for the lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louiseee_
Hey everyone, so Im thinking of doing a little personal project this summer to do with stress management in the vet profession so if some current students could reply, that would be a big help!
Just some quick questions:
1) are you taught about stress management during your time at vet school?
2) Im aware that there are lots of support services for students, but are you given advice and help on where to find services once you've left vet school?
3) is stress management a part of CPD?
Any other general comments or opinions on the subject are welcome, I'm aware that stress is quite an important issue for vets

1) not taught as such
2) BVA as far as I know offer it, and there is also a vet helpline, but I've not got the info about it with me atm

The third question I have no idea on

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) not taught as such
2) BVA as far as I know offer it, and there is also a vet helpline, but I've not got the info about it with me atm

The third question I have no idea on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! But can i ask what you mean by "not taught as such"?
Original post by Louiseee_
Thank you so much! But can i ask what you mean by "not taught as such"?

It's mentioned... That's about it. We have peer support students to go to at uni if we have any issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's mentioned... That's about it. We have peer support students to go to at uni if we have any issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaaah, well thank you! Enjoy your summer!
Does anyone know how many people/percentage of people generally take a gap year before starting Vet Med?
Original post by GGKeams
Does anyone know how many people/percentage of people generally take a gap year before starting Vet Med?

Haven't got a percentage or number for you, but about half of my year had a gap year before coming if that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't got a percentage or number for you, but about half of my year had a gap year before coming if that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's more than I expected! Do you know if it's because they don't get offers first time round or are they chosen gap years? Thanks!
Original post by GGKeams
Wow, that's more than I expected! Do you know if it's because they don't get offers first time round or are they chosen gap years? Thanks!

I wouldn't say 50%. However it is a large percentage. It's a mix of the two reasons
How many people get in after retaking exams during a gap year?
Original post by goonieskellie

You'll have to ask universities for those kind of statistics. It's dependent on what grades you get after retaking and whether you interview well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goonieskellie

Vet Schools often will only consider a retake in one subject to raise it by one grade - ie. you originally got AAB and need AAA and because its a retake they will rank you lower than someone predicted/achieved AAA at first attempt. However, usually repeat applicants do better at interview - bit more mature/confident and already have an idea of what to expect.
To those of you that have got an offer, what was your final application like (concerning work exp. quantity/areas and the grades you got) and where gave you an offer?
Thanks!
Original post by GeorgeOHW
To those of you that have got an offer, what was your final application like (concerning work exp. quantity/areas and the grades you got) and where gave you an offer?
Thanks!

I had 22 weeks of work experience, done all over the place, equine, sheep, vets and farms. Got BBC at AS and managed to get 2 interviews and then one offer from Bristol. Grades aren't a huge huge deal at AS! As long as you have the experience and alright grades unis take notice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending