The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goonieskellie
Is it just me who really doesn't think they have got the grades aha

Noop,i have everything set upfor an emergency remark & downloaded a clearing app :frown:
Original post by Louiseee_
I'm so jealous! I wish i could have done it, & I think if people can afford it, they definitely should. Which company did you go through to organise it?

I did it through worldwide experience the first time, then with a volunteering charity but they've stopped doing it now. I went to shamwari all three times and i loved it, but it took a lot of saving for me to manage to get out there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I did it through worldwide experience the first time, then with a volunteering charity but they've stopped doing it now. I went to shamwari all three times and i loved it, but it took a lot of saving for me to manage to get out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of things did you get to do there?
What kind of things did you get to do there?

Loads of maintenance stuff like fixing fences and roads, cutting trees down, then we did loads of fun stuff, tracked lions/leopards/elephants and rhinos. Worked at the rehab centre with a baby orphaned rhino and giraffe. Did game capture, darted lions and an elephant, took blood samples from buffalo before relocating them. We had little lectures on how to load the dart guns with the sedative and stuff. Most of the time when we wernt doing jobs we were driving round looking for all the big five and we sat with them for hours when we found them. It was possibly the best experience ever and if you can save to do it it's well worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh also I forgot to add, they now do a pre vet experience which they didn't do when I went there which is brilliant, it's more tailored to getting into vet school, you get to do stuff like dissections and have proper lectures and follow the vet around all the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Righto, thanks :smile:

There's a general 2015 vet apps group, then an offer holders' group for each university. Some have further groups, e.g. for the gateway course and for each accommodation building. There's a 2016 apps group now too.

They're all easily found through the Facebook search.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does anyone know for definite when UCAS updates on the 13th? I've heard midnight, 6am, 7am and 8am but haven't managed to find anything from UCAS itself confirming any of these so I'm still none the wiser. Not that it makes much of a difference since I won't be entering clearing if when I fail to get in, I'd just rather check ASAP. Rip the plaster off quickly rather than peeling it slowly, y'know? :wink:

Cheers

Good Luck for Thursday LTC...I really hope you do well! (Your personal message box is too full to email direct! :wink:)

Wishing luck to all you other 2015 applicants too...looking forward to all the celebratory updates on this in a couple of days. :colondollar:
Original post by Lizziefickling
Loads of maintenance stuff like fixing fences and roads, cutting trees down, then we did loads of fun stuff, tracked lions/leopards/elephants and rhinos. Worked at the rehab centre with a baby orphaned rhino and giraffe. Did game capture, darted lions and an elephant, took blood samples from buffalo before relocating them. We had little lectures on how to load the dart guns with the sedative and stuff. Most of the time when we wernt doing jobs we were driving round looking for all the big five and we sat with them for hours when we found them. It was possibly the best experience ever and if you can save to do it it's well worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaaaah that sounds so cool! Do you want to work in conservation or did you just do it for the experience?
Reply 7348
Noop,i have everything set upfor an emergency remark & downloaded a clearing app :frown:

This time is horrible guys but all of us go through it. Sit tight at present. I know lots of people who are absolutely convinced they have messed up their Biology second paper. This was much the same last year and the grade boundary was very low 60s and some who thought they got a B did really well

If you just miss out and you really still want to be a vet, consider having another go. There are no official data about your chances but anecdotal 'data' suggest you have a decent chance. Not giving up too easily is one of the tests
Aaaaah that sounds so cool! Do you want to work in conservation or did you just do it for the experience?

One day yeah, I hope to move out there eventually and work on a game reserve but it's a toss up between that and large animal really haha. I love cows ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D of T
This time is horrible guys but all of us go through it. Sit tight at present. I know lots of people who are absolutely convinced they have messed up their Biology second paper. This was much the same last year and the grade boundary was very low 60s and some who thought they got a B did really well

If you just miss out and you really still want to be a vet, consider having another go. There are no official data about your chances but anecdotal 'data' suggest you have a decent chance. Not giving up too easily is one of the tests

I always had the attitude that if I kept trying they would get fed up and let me in eventually. 3 applications later and I'm in and finished first year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wiseowly
Good Luck for Thursday LTC...I really hope you do well! (Your personal message box is too full to email direct! :wink:)

Wishing luck to all you other 2015 applicants too...looking forward to all the celebratory updates on this in a couple of days. :colondollar:

Thank you, that's very kind :h: .

I'm always letting my inbox get like that, thanks for letting me know! I've had a sort out and there should be space now. If there was anything else you wanted to PM me about (applications or anything), shoot :smile:
Good luck to all A-level people and others with results pending!
Hope everyone gets into their preferred vet school and looking forward to meeting some of you come September/October!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else give themselves heart failure by looking up the grade boundaries? :awesome: Gap year it is then yolo :awesome:

Although @OCR thanks for the 5 mark drop in the A boundary for F334 :cheers:

Now hopefully they actually marked my papers instead of 'guesstimating' after losing them :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Anyone else give themselves heart failure by looking up the grade boundaries? :awesome: Gap year it is then yolo :awesome:

Now hopefully they actually marked my papers instead of 'guesstimating' after losing them :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Losing them???
They lost your papers???
Good luck! Hope it works out!
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Losing them???
They lost your papers???
Good luck! Hope it works out!

It was in the news, OCR lost hundreds of students' papers so they 'guesstimated' (verbatim) people's grades. Cos, y'know, it's not like these grades decide people's futures or anything. No need to take it seriously and be more careful lmao.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/alevel-results-2015-uk-exam-board-ocr-admits-it-estimates-hundreds-of-pupils-grades-after-papers-go-missing-10434417.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/11777405/A-level-results-exam-boards-guesstimating-students-grades.html

http://educationbusinessuk.net/index.php/eb-news/5125-dfe-consider-reforms-after-exam-board-admits-to-guesstimating-marks

I only hope that if they lose papers, the mark that they award is pretty high. I wouldn't want to be OCR's staff when people request remarks for papers that have disappeared into the ether, so it's in their best interest to be generous :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7356

Although it doesnt affect me any more I looked up the second Biology paper on OCR and the A boundary is 57, the lowest ever
I think that this paper is too hard and is marked too hard
Nonetheless it is good news for many I suspect
GL for tomorrow am
Anyone know if vet schools have a limit on how many times you can resit a subject? Already resat as chemistry & I'm really not feeling good about getting my A2 grade tomorrow so don't know if resitting the A2 modules is an option :frown: andI did aqa so I can't even blame shoddy marking
Anyone know if vet schools have a limit on how many times you can resit a subject? Already resat as chemistry & I'm really not feeling good about getting my A2 grade tomorrow so don't know if resitting the A2 modules is an option :frown: andI did aqa so I can't even blame shoddy marking

Liverpool:- accept reapplications (including those resitting exams, from one module to a complete subject) without prejudice provided the application has been strengthened in accordance with their admissions criteria. A total of 1 applications will be considered from a candidate. Should a second application be unsuccessful, further applications will not be considered

Edinburgh:- resits of as level modules are acceptable. In order to be considered candidates must be predicted to gain their minimum entry requirements in A2 subjects. Only candidates who gain or are predicted to gain their minimum entry requirements within the normal 2-year period for A level examinations will be considered.

Rvc:- can't find anything on resit applicants but they do say that they may consider undergrad applicants with qualifications that are lower than the standard entry requirements at 'clearing', should a course still have vacancies

Bristol:- can't find anything either about resit applicants but I'm pretty sure they accept it in some way or another but you would have to ring them to find out

Nottingham:- will normally only recognise the marks achieved at the first complete sitting of the a leve (A2). However they will consider applicants who have re-sat A levels, although these will be viewed against the pool of applicants. They require applicants to attain AAA on their second attempt, rather than their standard offer of AAB. They will not consider any further resits after the second attempt

Surrey:- can't find anything on them, you would have to contact admissions

Cambridge:- nothing on their website but I presume they won't like A level resits, but you can ring admissions also

Basically, don't worry about it until you know your results tomorrow. You may have done really well you never know, and you also if you don't get the grades still have a chance of being offered a place. I think most of the universities allow resitting 1 or 2 times but the ones like Cambridge and Bristol are fussy about it in particular. There are people in my year at Liverpool who resat their A levels. Just wait and see what happens tomorrow. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7359
Irish applicants! How did you get on this morning, make the grades for veterinary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending