Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I just went to the page and had a bit of a fiddle, I have no idea why it was saying template but it's been fixed now.

Thanks a lot for your contribution!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    That's what i got for A-levels, and that's the course i'm on as well !!!!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone in the group that successfully got into veterinary university
    I'm off to the RVC to study BVetMed woo!
    And to those that were unfortunate, stay motivated, believe in yourself- 2016 is your year!
    My personal statement is No. 25 in the library.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have people been put in completely opposite student accommodation for Liverpool?? I have been put in catered , shared bathrooms and off campus when I asked for self catered ensuite and on campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0802)
    Have people been put in completely opposite student accommodation for Liverpool?? I have been put in catered , shared bathrooms and off campus when I asked for self catered ensuite and on campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This happens every year and it's a pain in the arse. The best thing you can do is join Liverpool vet school 2015-2020 on Facebook and ask if anyone would like to swap with you, or join a Liverpool freshers page, there is always someone who wants what you have but got something you want instead. You can ring accommodation up, but you might not have any luck with that, worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    This happens every year and it's a pain in the arse. The best thing you can do is join Liverpool vet school 2015-2020 on Facebook and ask if anyone would like to swap with you, or join a Liverpool freshers page, there is always someone who wants what you have but got something you want instead. You can ring accommodation up, but you might not have any luck with that, worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay I will try that thank you!! It's a pain cause it's complete opposite of my choices but I will make the most of it! Do you tend to go into flats with other vet people or is it mixed... Just because of the pain of having to get to campus and back every day??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who managed to get into vet school! Does anyone know when Bristol lets us know about accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0802)
    Okay I will try that thank you!! It's a pain cause it's complete opposite of my choices but I will make the most of it! Do you tend to go into flats with other vet people or is it mixed... Just because of the pain of having to get to campus and back every day??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What off campus accommodation have they put you in? As far as I'm aware you're with a random bunch of people from a variety of different courses, you may get a vet student in with you but you'll have to wait and see. There is a bus from the off campus accommodation which drops you off in the middle of campus and it runs quite regularly, but beware of ques for 9am lectures, I've seen some wonderful photos of mile long ques for the bus in the morning.
    I can't offer much advice about accommodation as I live in my own house, but some of the girls in my year lived in student accommodation and might be able to answer on Facebook any questions you may have about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So im starting dairy farm work placement next week, never done one before. What should I expect? Theyve said itll be morning and evening milkings and any work in between.

What should I wear? Boiler suit or are waterproof trousers enough? And can anyone recommend what wellies are good to last me a while?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    What off campus accommodation have they put you in? As far as I'm aware you're with a random bunch of people from a variety of different courses, you may get a vet student in with you but you'll have to wait and see. There is a bus from the off campus accommodation which drops you off in the middle of campus and it runs quite regularly, but beware of ques for 9am lectures, I've seen some wonderful photos of mile long ques for the bus in the morning.
    I can't offer much advice about accommodation as I live in my own house, but some of the girls in my year lived in student accommodation and might be able to answer on Facebook any questions you may have about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in rankin in Carnatic ... Okay that's no problem and I'm sure there will be someone in Carnatic somewhere haha ... I will just make sure I get an earlier bus so I don't have to wait in massive ques everyday Hahaa. Thanks for your response though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evian.)
    So im starting dairy farm work placement next week, never done one before. What should I expect? Theyve said itll be morning and evening milkings and any work in between.

What should I wear? Boiler suit or are waterproof trousers enough? And can anyone recommend what wellies are good to last me a while?
    Hi there, I've just spent my year out working on our own and other dairy farms. From experience id wear good waterproof trousers and a pair of waterproof sleeves for milking but it also depends on the size of the unit. A waterproof top and bottoms will do the job perfectly. Also a baseball cap or something to that effect will be useful as you don't want some poo in your hair! Ive had Bekina wellies for over two years but they were pricey so id recommend Dunlop Purofort which are relatively cheap and very comfy. Get steel toe capped ones as cows are heavy!!haha
    But have fun, i love working on dairy farms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairypeter)
    Hi there, I've just spent my year out working on our own and other dairy farms. From experience id wear good waterproof trousers and a pair of waterproof sleeves for milking but it also depends on the size of the unit. A waterproof top and bottoms will do the job perfectly. Also a baseball cap or something to that effect will be useful as you don't want some poo in your hair! Ive had Bekina wellies for over two years but they were pricey so id recommend Dunlop Purofort which are relatively cheap and very comfy. Get steel toe capped ones as cows are heavy!!haha
    But have fun, i love working on dairy farms!
    Can I ask where you are based? I'm in Birmingham and desperately looking for a dairy placement for next summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coupezaj)
    Can I ask where you are based? I'm in Birmingham and desperately looking for a dairy placement for next summer.

You have to be willing to drive to get to a dairy in the Birmingham area, but try these:

Try googling:

Mount pleasant farm - Kings norton, Birmingham. It is a school farm, but it has a working dairy farm so they will more than likely take you

Grovewood farm dairy - Birmingham road, Birmingham

W & k Bostock dairy - shustoke, Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goonieskellie)
    Congratulations to everyone who managed to get into vet school! Does anyone know when Bristol lets us know about accommodation?
    Congratulations!

Info about accommodation, including when you can expect to hear from Bristol Uni Accommodation office, can be found here http://www.bristol.ac.uk/newstudents/accommodation/

ReputationRep:
    Slightly irrelevant to this thread but - Would anyone happen to know a farm happy for me to help with lambing even though I've never done it before? I'm nearly 17 going into lower sixth and I'm very much aware that this coming spring 2016 is my last chance before application next year. I live in the SW of England so anywhere around there ideally, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimeech98)
    Slightly irrelevant to this thread but - Would anyone happen to know a farm happy for me to help with lambing even though I've never done it before? I'm nearly 17 going into lower sixth and I'm very much aware that this coming spring 2016 is my last chance before application next year. I live in the SW of England so anywhere around there ideally, thanks in advance
    In October a list of farmers wanting help with lambing will be put on the NSA website, so it's probably easiest to check there. The farmer will specify on the list whether they want someone with experience or not - most don't mind
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, unfortunately my two dairy contacts are in North Yorkshire, but one of them has accommodation for volunteers if you're willing to stay away from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suofei)
    In October a list of farmers wanting help with lambing will be put on the NSA website, so it's probably easiest to check there. The farmer will specify on the list whether they want someone with experience or not - most don't mind
    Thank you! I'll keep an eye out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseee_)
    Hi there, unfortunately my two dairy contacts are in North Yorkshire, but one of them has accommodation for volunteers if you're willing to stay away from home
    Thank you for replying. I think I may have found something in Shropshire which is a little easier for me to get to, although will have to stay there.

ReputationRep:
    Im actually based in ireland, dairy work is well paid here. Most farms will usually only take you on for periods over 6 months. Great way to spend a year out though, saving lots for uni

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.