The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Join lots, find what you like. Stick with it.

You have less free time than other students. But its not that bad, I've done 10+ hours of exercise a week and gone drinking etc.

No reason to be boring... You need a life! You'd go mad (OK more mad) if you didn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I thought this! Obviously the main purpose of uni is to become a vet and I want to do well, but I want to find time for exercise etc. and ultimately you have to enjoy uni :smile:
Original post by Louiseee_
Whats the general consensus on joining societies at vet school? I really want to to meet more people and have a hobby etc. but people say you have so little spare time :frown:

You have to do something in the week that isn't vet related otherwise you go crazy. There's plenty of time to join societies and go on socials etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
You have to do something in the week that isn't vet related otherwise you go crazy. There's plenty of time to join societies and go on socials etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's such a relief :biggrin: I think some of the vet students I know must just be a bit neurotic about studying
That's such a relief :biggrin: I think some of the vet students I know must just be a bit neurotic about studying

Yup... There are definetly some!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are the ones that sit in the corner of their rooms at night rocking backwards and forwards crying over the greater tubercle of the humerus... Ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
Those are the ones that sit in the corner of their rooms at night rocking backwards and forwards crying over the greater tubercle of the humerus... Ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear god 😂
Anyone else heading up to Edinburgh this weekend?
Original post by GGKeams
Anyone else heading up to Edinburgh this weekend?

Meh! Driving up tomorrow actually. :biggrin:
Anyone who did VetCam this year (2015), do you know the name of the lecturer in anatomy who did the presentation on the Galapagos islands and turtles?
Anyone who did VetCam this year, what was the name of lecturer who did the Anatomy 2 presentation? I think he was from Selwyn College - he spoke about the Galapagos Islands and likes turtles?
Hi guys. I started watching this thread last year (i was in year 10 at the time) I'm so glad to hear abouts those of you who got into a vet school. I'm in year 11 now and will be sitting my gcse's in a couple of months. I was wondering if some of you could tell me what you got in your gcse's? What a-levels u picked and what you got in them? And finally what vet school you got into? Thank you
Original post by idree5
Hi guys. I started watching this thread last year (i was in year 10 at the time) I'm so glad to hear abouts those of you who got into a vet school. I'm in year 11 now and will be sitting my gcse's in a couple of months. I was wondering if some of you could tell me what you got in your gcse's? What a-levels u picked and what you got in them? And finally what vet school you got into? Thank you

GCSEs: 3A*s, 9As 1C
AS: AAAE in biology, chemistry, physics and maths respectively
A2: AAB in bio, chem and phys

Every year there was something I ****ed up :')

Got into the RVC, Liverpool, Bristol and Edinburgh. I'm at the RVC now :smile:

As you can see, exam results don't matter a huge amount as long as you meet the entry requirements (Cambs being the exception to this :tongue: ). It's a common misconception that you need a bajillion A*s to stand a chance. Be sure to get plenty of work exp. to set yourself apart from other applicants, and take care with writing your PS.

Best of luck with your GCSEs!
(edited 8 years ago)
I got into Liverpool and Edinburgh and I am at Edinburgh now and loving it :smile: In my GCSEs I got 9A*s and an A and at A Level I got an A* Chemistry and As in Biology and Geography. I also had 20+ weeks work experience but make sure have a lot of variety. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by idree5

GCSEs: 1 A*, 9As (ish) & two Bs & a D (in music)
For GCSEs you just really want A*s or As (or whatever their equivalent is now) in science, maths and English
AS Levels (the first time) BCEE in biology, geography, chem and physics (respectively)
I then resat AS chem and got an A and did three years at college
A2- A*AB in geography, biology and chem
I also did general studies (B), EPQ (A*) & got an extra AS level in geology (A)
I would agree with LTC, the grades are important but you just have to meet the minimum. Work experience is probably just as important, so I would start as soon as you can. You might not be able to do any clinical stuff yet but quite a few places will let you do volunteering or farm work from 16 (riding for the disabled certainly do so I'd suggest going there is there's a stable near to you)
I got offers from RVC and Nottingham and I'm now at Notts :smile:
Yeah i started work experience at the beginning of September, every sunday, at a cattery near me. The woman also runs a animal shelter and i help her with taking the animals to the vets and cleaning. I also did a 2 week placement at a animal rescue farm in march. I dont want to include this thou because the people there were awefull. I even think she some of them were racist! The woman i'm working with says that i do such a good job every sunday that the vets said they can take me on as well. Im going to redo the farm work experience. Where else should i go?
Original post by idree5
Yeah i started work experience at the beginning of September, every sunday, at a cattery near me. The woman also runs a animal shelter and i help her with taking the animals to the vets and cleaning. I also did a 2 week placement at a animal rescue farm in march. I dont want to include this thou because the people there were awefull. I even think she some of them were racist! The woman i'm working with says that i do such a good job every sunday that the vets said they can take me on as well. Im going to redo the farm work experience. Where else should i go?

I don't see why you shouldn't count the animal rescue farm. You may not have gotten along with the staff (and sorry to hear that they were like that, that's messed up :lolwut: ), but it was still a chance to learn about animal husbandry (and interpersonal skills! Or lack thereof :wink: )

Ideally you want at least one placement out of the following categories: small animal vet, large animal vet, food producing farm, equine and kennels/cattery. Most people go to a dairy for farm work, and lambing is another popular placement. For equine you could go to a riding school, but a stud farm or something along those lines would be equally valid. After that it's up to you, anything with animals counts. Some ideas could be rescue centres, abattoirs, laboratories, universities, zoos/wildlife parks, police dogs/horses, dog grooming parlours, pet shops.... as long as you can relate it to why you want to be a vet it's fair game. Just make sure you cover the basics before looking for anything too fancy. This also depends on which universities you want to apply to, of course. Some, such as Cambridge, aren't that fussed but Liverpool ask for at least ten weeks' worth and most people exceed that. The work experience bible stickied at the top of the forum is a good read for all things work experiencey :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi

can any one help me please. i am college's student and i applied for a medicine programme, they want me to make a poster about how does Escherichia coli cause Urinary Tract infection? but i tried 10 hours just reading to find the answers but i did not find it.
can you help me please any one
thank you
Why have you bumped this old post?

10 hours? wow

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+does+e+coli+cause+uti

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending