Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophjeff)
    Do you guys think this I okay?

Dear sir or madam, (Finding out specific names helps to show initiative. :yep: Phone up and ask who you should direct WEX enquiries to. Failing that look on the website for the head vet/head nurses's name.)

I am contacting you to enquire as to whether or not you may offer me a placement at your veterinary practice. This would allow me to gain some invaluable work experience which is a vital requirement in order for me to study and pursue a career in veterinary medicine. I would also consider putting the dates in this paragraph rather than at the bottom.

I am currently 16 and completing my GCSEs at - where I am predicted A in all 10 of my subjects, including science, maths and English. I then hope to complete A levels in biology, chemistry, maths and geography.

I consider myself to be hardworking, intuitive and willing to get involved at all levels. For the past year I have worked at - kennels and cattery where I have developed my practical skills when handling animals (Examples? This is a bit of a clichéd statement. What exactly have you done/seen? Also can you offer to provide references? ) . Moreover whilst growing up I have always been around a wide array of animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, fish and birds. It is through these that I have been allowed me to realise my passion for animals as well as acquiring a knowledge that I am eager to expand on.

If you could offer me a placement between 1st July and 1st September I would be hugely grateful.

Yours sincerely (Should be Faithfully if addressed to Sir/Madam.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Feel free to take with a pinch of salt. I'm no expert.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Your mini alteration was good... Maybe I'll be headhunting you to help with personal statements once you get into university .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Your mini alteration was good... Maybe I'll be headhunting you to help with personal statements once you get into university .
    If I get into university

Thanks though :fan:

(Original post by Sophjeff)
    Thanks that's really helpful!
    No problem
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If I get into university

Thanks though :fan:

No problem
    When.

No arguing. :cool:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    She'll be after my job :unimpressed:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When.

No arguing. :cool:
    Yes Ma'am! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Argh! Sorry I've not posted guys biology on Wednesday and then geography on the 30th and then it's over! Woohoo!

That's good about the Rinny situation Lizzie, I hope she recovers well when do the stitches come out? Walter loves metacam licks it straight off the syringe! anyway keep us updated!

On another note, is anyone thinking about applying to the Sutton trust thing in the summer? Would we do that next year or was it this year and I'm just too late because it says year 12 / 5th year but is it before we start that year or once we've finished it? Haha it's just because I saw of the vet courses in a few unis like Cambridge, notts and brizzle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Argh! Sorry I've not posted guys biology on Wednesday and then geography on the 30th and then it's over! Woohoo!

That's good about the Rinny situation Lizzie, I hope she recovers well when do the stitches come out? Walter loves metacam licks it straight off the syringe! anyway keep us updated!

On another note, is anyone thinking about applying to the Sutton trust thing in the summer? Would we do that next year or was it this year and I'm just too late because it says year 12 / 5th year but is it before we start that year or once we've finished it? Haha it's just because I saw of the vet courses in a few unis like Cambridge, notts and brizzle.
    Oooh, good luck! I have biology tomorrow then physics on Thursday. I had French today which I completely and utterly fluffed up but on the plus side NO MORE FRENCH... EVER!

Rin is looking a lot better, thanks for asking . We took her back for a post-op check up today. The vet reckons that it's unlikely her tumours were cancerous, so fingers crossed he's right. She had the stitches that dissolve so they don't need to be removed and her wound is healing well, but it's still probably a few days before she can go back in with her friends because they're buggers for barbering each other :rolleyes: . We're taking her back to the vet on Friday, and if he gives us the all clear we'll put her back in with her ratty buddies then. She's finding the metacam a lot better than the Bayril (although I can't say I blame her, I may or may not have tasted Baytril and it may or may not taste awfully bitter )

What's the Sutton Trust? To the Google-mobile!
    EDIT: Just had a look, I'm pretty sure that we apply next year . I've no idea whether or not I'll be eligible (how am I supposed to know if I come from a neighbourhood with a 'low overall progression rate' ), but it won't hurt me to apply I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, good luck! I have biology tomorrow then physics on Thursday. I had French today which I completely and utterly fluffed up but on the plus side NO MORE FRENCH... EVER!

Rin is looking a lot better, thanks for asking . We took her back for a post-op check up today. The vet reckons that it's unlikely her tumours were cancerous, so fingers crossed he's right. She had the stitches that dissolve so they don't need to be removed and her wound is healing well, but it's still probably a few days before she can go back in with her friends because they're buggers for barbering each other :rolleyes: . We're taking her back to the vet on Friday, and if he gives us the all clear we'll put her back in with her ratty buddies then. She's finding the metacam a lot better than the Bayril (although I can't say I blame her, I may or may not have tasted Baytril and it may or may not taste awfully bitter )

What's the Sutton Trust? To the Google-mobile!
    Ahahahaha! Good luck with yours, you'll get like 100% I'm sure I'm sure you will get As and A*s I had French today too and I wasn't worried but I was just so tired and bored I felt like I couldn't be bothered to do it but I persevered Ahah! I have one last period of it on 31 May looking forward to it ..... Not

That's great news! Aww our Rin-rins a wee soldier! Haha she must be wanting to join her buddies back in the cage it must be a sight to behold on Friday! Ahaha! I think baytril is a disgusting thing I unfortunately experienced a smudge from my fingers on my lips when I wiped my face and it wasn't yummy that's for sure I've have Walter Zantac before and I can't remember if he likes it or not I don't think it's as bad as baytril, I have feeling it was sweet but that's great about to hear that about her

And it's like a summer school programme it has the usual first to go to university in family crap but I'm sure they'd be no harm in applying especially since they care more about grades just as long as you go to a state school and not a private. It looks pretty good but I think it's aimed for us next year if we apply you can do some things in America too but I don't know of vetmed is included

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Just had a look, I'm pretty sure that we apply next year . I've no idea whether or not I'll be eligible (how am I supposed to know if I come from a neighbourhood with a 'low overall progression rate' ), but it won't hurt me to apply I suppose.
    I know I was like what? Haha but I hope they accept people like us cause its a pain to think there's all this programmes out there but none for us

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Ahahahaha! Good luck with yours, you'll get like 100% I'm sure I'm sure you will get As and A*s I had French today too and I wasn't worried but I was just so tired and bored I felt like I couldn't be bothered to do it but I persevered Ahah! I have one last period of it on 31 May looking forward to it ..... Not

That's great news! Aww our Rin-rins a wee soldier! Haha she must be wanting to join her buddies back in the cage it must be a sight to behold on Friday! Ahaha! I think baytril is a disgusting thing I unfortunately experienced a smudge from my fingers on my lips when I wiped my face and it wasn't yummy that's for sure I've have Walter Zantac before and I can't remember if he likes it or not I don't think it's as bad as baytril, I have feeling it was sweet but that's great about to hear that about her

And it's like a summer school programme it has the usual first to go to university in family crap but I'm sure they'd be no harm in applying especially since they care more about grades just as long as you go to a state school and not a private. It looks pretty good but I think it's aimed for us next year if we apply you can do some things in America too but I don't know of vetmed is included

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Psshhhtt! 100%? In my dreams maybe :lol: ! Fortunately I've already done 20% of bio, and I thought it went okay, but tomorrow's paper is 50% ! At least it's in the afternoon so I'll get the whole morning to revise.

French was such a joke :') The following things happened during the listening exam:
    - TWO freaking power cuts! :lol:
    - Lights start making weird noises
    - Invigilators: "IS THAT NOISE DISTURBING YOU???"... errr, not as much as you shouting like that, funnily enough...
    - Bell rings during last question. :sigh:

Yep she's my little fighter :love: . She's had surgery in the past (I don't know how she has any mammary tissue left by this point) and she's managed to pull through and continue to be the world's friendliest, loveliest, lickiest ratty . Even the vet nurse was commenting that she's never seen such a trusting rat, and she thought it was adorable that Rin's ticklish ! I've never had the (dis?)pleasure of tasting Zantac before, am I missing out?

I had a look, thanks for telling me about this I don't see how the whole 'first to go to university' thing is an issue, I don't consider myself to be especially well off and when my dad went uni was free! Oh well, like you said we may as well apply, the worst they can do is reject us, there's nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Psshhhtt! 100%? In my dreams maybe :lol: ! Fortunately I've already done 20% of bio, and I thought it went okay, but tomorrow's paper is 50% ! At least it's in the afternoon so I'll get the whole morning to revise.

French was such a joke :') The following things happened during the listening exam:
    - TWO freaking power cuts! :lol:
    - Lights start making weird noises
    - Invigilators: "IS THAT NOISE DISTURBING YOU???"... errr, not as much as you shouting like that, funnily enough...
    - Bell rings during last question. :sigh:

Yep she's my little fighter :love: . She's had surgery in the past (I don't know how she has any mammary tissue left by this point) and she's managed to pull through and continue to be the world's friendliest, loveliest, lickiest ratty . Even the vet nurse was commenting that she's never seen such a trusting rat, and she thought it was adorable that Rin's ticklish ! I've never had the (dis?)pleasure of tasting Zantac before, am I missing out?

I had a look, thanks for telling me about this I don't see how the whole 'first to go to university' thing is an issue, I don't consider myself to be especially well off and when my dad went uni was free! Oh well, like you said we may as well apply, the worst they can do is reject us, there's nothing to lose.
    That's good I like when there's big gaps during the day between papers it gives you a good opportunity to top up your brain

Omg really! I heard a loud bang in the general reading paper and I thought someone dropped something but people said it was one of those weird firecrackers and I was like what!? Haha something always happens in the French general exam: 3rd year exam someone coughed which caused the whole room to spark into a plethora of coughs and sniffs which the teachers and invigilators didn't approve of; the prelim in december saw someone set off a voice box which made random stupid noises, it was annoying but it was funny at one point when an invigilator threatened whoever it was to be quiet or sent out then the soundbox made a wolf whistle but the general exam is sat by both foundation (lowest) level and credit (highest) level pupils and the 'stunts' are always done by the foundation pupils which I think must be done out of sheer ignorance. I was shocked to hear that there were double the amount of foundation pupils for French than credit! Usually it's the other way about but not for French!! That is shocking :O haha the listening exam today kept jumping like half a word so you couldn't make it what they were saying sometimes and then on the last question the bell rant through the last vital play through! Ahah

Aw she ticklish! That's so cute! Argh I definitely need to steal her now aha! Zantac I think is pretty nice and sweet; I first heard from the vet nurse at the clinic I volunteered at and she used to say which medicines tasted nice or not and I was like have you tried these?! And she was casually saying that she had Ahaha! But now I know how that feels. The worst tasting thing I have ever tasted was this spray the vets sprayed on les animaux derier's after there anal glands had been emptied and it was foul! The liquid from te glands smelt better but it was minging, you could taste it from the smell that way you catch it in your throat, ugh!! Ahaha

Your welcome same for my mum but its still free and yeah I agree doubt we will get arrested for applying to a course without obliging to the eligibility requirements haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I just need to tell some people who won't be disgusted as I am very excited about it.

I saw my first actual, real, live (well not live, but you know what I mean...) post mortem today! It was a little foal who was 6 weeks from its due date which had aborted most likely due to two umbilical cord twists. Two HUGE sacs of fluid had formed in the tube and you could see where the blood flow had been cut off as it had gone completely white, the bladder was floppy, enlarged and distended. Fortunately, the vet found that the foal had very hyper-extendable joints so it is quite likely it wouldn't have survived anyway; or would have an unpleasant start to his life.

The vet was lovely, I was in a little over my head when he started talking about some features of the placenta, but he put up with some very daft questions. We talked about everything from breeding to the merits of android over iOS. It was great, I really hope I get to see another one. (well I don't, but again you know what I mean.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Biology today was diabolical .

ReputationRep:
    If it's GCSE then I really doubt it went that badly. If you're intelligent enough to realistically be looking at applying to vet med it would probably be pretty hard to fail a GCSE! I actually failed physics at GCSE, but did so well in Bio and Chem that I got an AA, so really don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    Did you do the aqa paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannapoole)
    Did you do the aqa paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, CIE IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, CIE IGCSE.
    Ahh just wondered if you did the same paper as I did! They put things one our paper that weren't even on the spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! No exams for two weeks then geography and then I'm finished!! I did biology yesterday which went quite well, the general (medium) paper was pretty easy and the credit (harder) was okay as well, a few small ones I stumbled on but nevertheless I think I done quite well hopefully Hope you guys all do well!

Went to that physiotherapy lecture last night and it was really good! I took notes frantically trying to listen at the same time I noticed there quite a lot of people our age there... Competition! Ahah :L! We also got a tour of the SA teaching hospital where the seminar was held and it is beautiful, and they have all the equipment: MRI, CT scanner, Linear accelerator etc. but on the whole it was a really enjoyable experience, makes me want to be a vet more badly now that I've seen it all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.