Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Baaaaaack :woo:

9:30 - 5:50 (and no I'm not using this thread to record dates/times I've been working until I find my timesheet shhhh :ninja: )

We moved the Friesian calves to a bigger enclosure. It was their first time walking on concrete in six months, so they needed a bit of persuading to make their first steps! With the ponies for the afternoon, which was really nice in this gorgeous weather.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutterfly)

Or The Vet: My Wild and Wonderful Friends by Luke Gamble which is brilliant and very moving. Pretty harrowing descriptions of the foot and mouth outbreak worth reading for that alone.

Both also have pretty good sequels.

Out of all the vet fiction/biographies I think the above are the cream and give you things to think about for interviews.
    I honestly can't recommend Luke Gamble's two books enough, he's a really great guy too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering how much work experience everyone will have done by the time we apply for uni next October?
    I have a feeling my amount of weeks won't add up to the average but I have a big variety of stuff planned to hopefully make up for that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pain room)
    Hi,
    I was wondering how much work experience everyone will have done by the time we apply for uni next October?
    I have a feeling my amount of weeks won't add up to the average but I have a big variety of stuff planned to hopefully make up for that
    Don't worry, we still have tonnes of time! We have this summer and next summer ahead of us, as well as a load of other holidays inbetween.

I'm not entirely sure how much I will have done by October 2014, but I've done 53 days so far. I'm hoping for around 120 days by the end of summer. I'm not sure exactly how much I can actually get done by the time we apply, but this is my plan:

Spoiler:
    Show

1 Week SA Vet
    1 Week Pets at Home
    2 Weeks Dairy Farm
    2 Weeks Exotics Vet
    1 Week LA Vet
    1 Week SA Vet
    1 Week Lambing
    1 Week Kennel
    1 Week Cattery
    2 Weeks Animal Rescue Centre
    2 Weeks Zoo
    Possibly a couple of days at an abattoir or hydrotherapy??
    120 Days Urban Farm (Long term)
    20 Days SA vet (Long term)
    65 Days Stable (Sort of a long term placement)

None of that is permanent though, I've barely done any of that so far. Just looking at it now it's clear to me that I need some more clinical work, specifically in LA practise.

ReputationRep:
    I just had to add this
    Isn't it adorable?? :heart:

I can't wait for the next years lambing season!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    I just had to add this
    Isn't it adorable?? :heart:

I can't wait for the next years lambing season!
    I saw that! I think it was on Countryfile if I remember correctly? I'm not ashamed to say that I literally 'aww'd out loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pain room)
    Hi,
    Hey there. You're not the only one who feels slightly behind But as Little Tail Chaser said we have plenty of time to get more.
    I try not to think that I have to do a set amount of wex. I just take everything I can get. I'm sure you will be able to reach the average

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else finding it super hard to actually get LA vet work experience?
    They all seem to have health and safety implications in place so that you can't really go out on calls to farms etc. please tell me i'm not the only one with this problem??

ReputationRep:
    Depending on which Uni you are looking to study in they'll sometimes ask for a different number of weeks of work experience in different/varied fields of veterinary medicine, for example for the BVetMed course in the RVC- Royal Veterinary College wants 4 weeks of W.E, 2 weeks in a vet practice and 2 weeks somewhere else such as a farm or charity based organisation which cares for animals such as the PDSA- hope that helps.
    What Uni's are you looking to apply for?
    I'm going to be starting my Uni applications soon-scary stuff!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Another busy day of farm work. 9:00-6:45 so not too bad. Had some lil' Berkshire piglets born in the afternoon! I didn't get to see the birth sadly as I was in the petting area for most of the day, but I managed to sneak a quick peek afterwards

Spoiler:
    Show

Dad was a lop, which is why they don't look very Berkshirey

Other than that I bottle fed the wee lambs in the morning and led a few pony rides after the petting area closed, so all in all a good day

(Original post by hannapoole)
    Is anyone else finding it super hard to actually get LA vet work experience?
    They all seem to have health and safety implications in place so that you can't really go out on calls to farms etc. please tell me i'm not the only one with this problem??
    Nope, you're definitely not the only one :nah: . I've lost count of the number of places I've phoned up and been told no. I'm going to have to go really far afield, possibly having to stay in a Travel Lodge or something. Either way I wouldn't worry quite yet, I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.

(Original post by griffalo)
    Depending on which Uni you are looking to study in they'll sometimes ask for a different number of weeks of work experience in different/varied fields of veterinary medicine, for example for the BVetMed course in the RVC- Royal Veterinary College wants 4 weeks of W.E, 2 weeks in a vet practice and 2 weeks somewhere else such as a farm or charity based organisation which cares for animals such as the PDSA- hope that helps.
    What Uni's are you looking to apply for?
    I'm going to be starting my Uni applications soon-scary stuff!
    Yep, we'll stand a better chance if we manage to surpass the minimum requirements, though :yep: . 4 weeks isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Are you a 2014 applicant then? Have you decided on where you're going to apply?

EDIT: Just noticed that we've caught up with the 2014 apps now (i.e, their thread was made June 2012), so our one isn't *that* early any more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamsie555)
    I honestly can't recommend Luke Gamble's two books enough, he's a really great guy too!
    Clearly it's a case of read these books and you get into Nottingham/if your a Nott's vetty you read these books what more recommendation could you need. :P

Definitely agree he's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)

Nope, you're definitely not the only one :nah: . I've lost count of the number of places I've phoned up and been told no. I'm going to have to go really far afield, possibly having to stay in a Travel Lodge or something. Either way I wouldn't worry quite yet, I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.
    Thank god I felt like I was getting nowhere, I'm going to ask the people at Liverpool when I go to their open day in a few weeks how they expect us to get LA vet work experience with all these health and safety rules, it's so annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes im a 2014 application student hopefully! !! Im looking to apply to the Rvc, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool how about yourself? :yes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank god I felt like I was getting nowhere, I'm going to ask the people at Liverpool when I go to their open day in a few weeks how they expect us to get LA vet work experience with all these health and safety rules, it's so annoying!
    Annoying is an understatement In the worst case scenario I think I'll just put it down as planned WEX on my PS. I'm quite lucky because my birthday is relatively early in the academic year, so I'll be 18 a few days after we submit our applications. LA vets may be happier to take over 18s, at least I hope so . If I still can't get anything then I might be able to observe a LA vet if one ever comes to the farm, but I don't know if that would actually count :dontknow:

(Original post by griffalo)
    Yes im a 2014 application student hopefully! !! Im looking to apply to the Rvc, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool how about yourself? :yes:
    I haven't been to any open days yet and obviously it's still too early to make decisions, but I was considering the exact same as you . I'm a keen stalker of the 2014 thread , so I'll be interested to see how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    Annoying is an understatement In the worst case scenario I think I'll just put it down as planned WEX on my PS. I'm quite lucky because my birthday is relatively early in the academic year, so I'll be 18 a few days after we submit our applications. LA vets may be happier to take over 18s, at least I hope so . If I still can't get anything then I might be able to observe a LA vet if one ever comes to the farm, but I don't know if that would actually count :dontknow:
    Ah lucky you for having an early birthday! They definitely seem more willing to take on people at 18 as there's less rules so I'll probably just have to put it down as planned on my personal statement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Started my clinical years today
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    *Collapses into heap*

Went on a 25km hike today to look for farms for potential WEx. Went past tonnes of places marked as 'farm' on Google and OS maps, but the only animals on the whole walk were a few horses, and I already have a fair bit of equine work. Oh well, if nothing else I feel a bit healthier for having completed that trek!

Ah lucky you for having an early birthday! They definitely seem more willing to take on people at 18 as there's less rules so I'll probably just have to put it down as planned on my personal statement!
    When's your birthday (if that's not a creepy question :ninja: ) I think they'll accept any planned work that you'll be doing before December 2014, so if you're 18 by then that will be handy

(Original post by skatealexia)
    Started my clinical years today
    Does that mean no more lectures? Awesome!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Does that mean no more lectures? Awesome!
    I wish . Clinical theory course- lots of lectures interspersed with practicals. I'm lecture free starting next April though .
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I wish . Clinical theory course- lots of lectures interspersed with practicals. I'm lecture free starting next April though .
    Ooooh, I'm surprised that they can pack in all of the clinical theory in a few months, they must work you hard! How long will you be on rotations for until you graduate?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, I'm surprised that they can pack in all of the clinical theory in a few months, they must work you hard! How long will you be on rotations for until you graduate?
    They've extended the rotation weeks, so I think we used to get 24 weeks but now we get 36 to fit in more stuff like exotics etc and to facilitate our larger year groups so we get the same amount of group teaching (4 people per group to one person). So we have this and 26 weeks of work experience between now and the end of fifth year (May/June 2015). Quite a lot to pack in I must say so its going to be very demanding on my time. They work us very hard I imagine, but all exciting stuff! I'm just going to have to find a better balance and adapt. The message to us today was 'you're all professionals now and have all the basic skills.' How exciting

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.