Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollyheartsgoats)
    I was thinking about a dog groomers as well, as there are quite a few in my area. Do you guys think I should concentrate on more important placements first? I was planning to get a lot of them when I turn 16 though, as a few more vital placements have said they will let me come then?
    I just spent two days at a separate SA vet, they were lovely I learnt a lot and they let me dissect something so we could look at the cells under a microscope. They really wanted to help me, which was lovely
    The animal sanctuary I'm going to next week will only count as maybe half a week? They only have animal stuff to do for me at about 12-3 so that's the time I was going. I'm hoping to go back another holiday, but I can't go for two weeks there as it's really hard getting there, and my mum can't take me. I would take the bus but it's miles from any bus stops and is next to a motorway so I can only go for one week Hopefully I can go again when my brother learns to drive
    How is everybody? I assume you are all on holiday now as you all seemed to get ages because of exams :P Today is my first proper day off, as since my last day of school I have been going to different work experience places! Can't wait till next week now though

If you can get vital placements later, why not look into the dog groomers is what I say . Dog groomers is quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    If you can get vital placements later, why not look into the dog groomers is what I say . Dog groomers is quite fun.
    OK I emailed one, hopefully they will let me come Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about a dog groomers as well, as there are quite a few in my area. Do you guys think I should concentrate on more important placements first? I was planning to get a lot of them when I turn 16 though, as a few more vital placements have said they will let me come then?
    I just spent two days at a separate SA vet, they were lovely I learnt a lot and they let me dissect something so we could look at the cells under a microscope. They really wanted to help me, which was lovely
    The animal sanctuary I'm going to next week will only count as maybe half a week? They only have animal stuff to do for me at about 12-3 so that's the time I was going. I'm hoping to go back another holiday, but I can't go for two weeks there as it's really hard getting there, and my mum can't take me. I would take the bus but it's miles from any bus stops and is next to a motorway so I can only go for one week Hopefully I can go again when my brother learns to drive
    How is everybody? I assume you are all on holiday now as you all seemed to get ages because of exams :P Today is my first proper day off, as since my last day of school I have been going to different work experience places! Can't wait till next week now though
    I agree with Skatealexia if you can go for it! It will show variety aswell if you have that and your kennels
    I wish I had planned ahead and booked some work exp for August, ive a feeling its going to drag . . . though I cant get anywhere now as my car broke and I cant afford another one atm, so I feel your pain about being stranded with no transport!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmah629)
    I agree with Skatealexia if you can go for it! It will show variety aswell if you have that and your kennels
    I wish I had planned ahead and booked some work exp for August, ive a feeling its going to drag . . . though I cant get anywhere now as my car broke and I cant afford another one atm, so I feel your pain about being stranded with no transport!
    OK, hopefully I can find one to take me! I need to find a kennels actually, the ones I have contacted can't have me until I'm 18! I'll have to persevere though!
    Yeah, travel is probably my biggest problem! If only buses went everywhere
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmah629)
    Thats okay! You sound like you have a load done and organised! I think I only had 2 weeks at a vets in year eleven, and I thought that was a lot haha Just shows how unprepared I and my school/college was!

Also I know im being a tad annoying about this buuut have you read the Chris Queen books? As your applying the year after next they could be quite good for you guys! There is a load of information about work exp, what to expect doing the UCAS application and things? And the donation goes to 2 great charities
    I'm far from organised :lol: ! I really wish I had more clinical work. I have some booked, but... eh, it's getting on my nerves because I only have 1 week at the moment.

I've seen all of your posts about your Zooathon and raffle and I would have loved to enter, but currently I don't really have a way of sending money online, sorry . Perhaps if all my debit card stuff gets organised soon I might be able to make a donation afterwards (just for your Zooathon, don't worry about the raffle), but I'm afraid I can't make any promises.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself And I agree transport (or lack thereof ) can be a right royal pain in the butt. :rolleyes:

You are so dedicated it's unbelievable I have nothing vetty to report sadly. I'm still on 'The Challenge' (caj stealing university WiFi ). Today I had a session on public speaking and tomorrow I'm volunteering at a residential home for a couple of hours so I've been very busy. Although having said that, I have been off school for an entire month now so I am kind of ashamed of myself for not doing more .

Also on the way to the campus I saw a small-ish flock of sheep. I hardly ever go the route we took to get here which would explain why I've never noticed them before, but it's like a 20minute bus journey away. Lambing next year, perhaps? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    This talk of dog groomers has got me interested! I'm going to email one near me for perhaps the September mid term weekend, only 4 days long in total but I want to conserve precious time off for more vital WEx. I am also going to write in to a SA practice for the October week, that means by the end of this year I should have experience at three different practices! Woop! I really hope I get back into my original SA practice on a regular basis, I miss that place . Can't wait for the LA vets next week and then it's my birthday the week after! And then I'm on holiday again, woohoo! Then results day..... Eek!

How is everyone? The weather has been lovely, too warm at times I must admit but makes a change .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I'm far from organised :lol: ! I really wish I had more clinical work. I have some booked, but... eh, it's getting on my nerves because I only have 1 week at the moment.

I've seen all of your posts about your Zooathon and raffle and I would have loved to enter, but currently I don't really have a way of sending money online, sorry . Perhaps if all my debit card stuff gets organised soon I might be able to make a donation afterwards (just for your Zooathon, don't worry about the raffle), but I'm afraid I can't make any promises.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself And I agree transport (or lack thereof ) can be a right royal pain in the butt. :rolleyes:

You are so dedicated it's unbelievable I have nothing vetty to report sadly. I'm still on 'The Challenge' (caj stealing university WiFi ). Today I had a session on public speaking and tomorrow I'm volunteering at a residential home for a couple of hours so I've been very busy. Although having said that, I have been off school for an entire month now so I am kind of ashamed of myself for not doing more .

Also on the way to the campus I saw a small-ish flock of sheep. I hardly ever go the route we took to get here which would explain why I've never noticed them before, but it's like a 20minute bus journey away. Lambing next year, perhaps? :ninja:
    Not as dedicated as you! Travelling all those hours, you deserve a medal! How is 'The Challenge' going? Good luck with the sheep! I'm pretty lucky the cattery have sheep, otherwise I think I would struggle a lot for a lambing placement Lambing sounds amazing, apparently it is so hands on! I will probably worry when doing it though, I'd feel so guilty if something bad happened because of me I'm really really looking forward to it though, my friend who also goes to the cattery said it is amazing, I don't think he trusts me to do it though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Not as dedicated as you! Travelling all those hours, you deserve a medal! How is 'The Challenge' going? Good luck with the sheep! I'm pretty lucky the cattery have sheep, otherwise I think I would struggle a lot for a lambing placement Lambing sounds amazing, apparently it is so hands on! I will probably worry when doing it though, I'd feel so guilty if something bad happened because of me I'm really really looking forward to it though, my friend who also goes to the cattery said it is amazing, I don't think he trusts me to do it though :lol:
    Lambing is absolutely amazing, you will no doubt love it! Don't worry when you're doing it though, you'll be just fine! It really is very very hands on so much more fun than clinical work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh and guess who's got a day at an abattoir next week? Me! I'm kinda nervous because I'm not really sure what to expect but luckily my dad has contacts (as he used to be a butcher) so I'm hoping I'll know someone there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    This talk of dog groomers has got me interested! I'm going to email one near me for perhaps the September mid term weekend, only 4 days long in total but I want to conserve precious time off for more vital WEx. I am also going to write in to a SA practice for the October week, that means by the end of this year I should have experience at three different practices! Woop! I really hope I get back into my original SA practice on a regular basis, I miss that place . Can't wait for the LA vets next week and then it's my birthday the week after! And then I'm on holiday again, woohoo! Then results day..... Eek!

How is everyone? The weather has been lovely, too warm at times I must admit but makes a change . [/URL][/SIZE]
    I think I'll try to get four days at a dog groomers at the end of August. I'd really like a week but they're not open on Mondays and I can't do the weekend unfortunately. Four days is still better than nothing though, and as you say it will all add up. I'm aiming for three different practices by September too :yep: . Although sadly they're all SA though grrr.

It's alright really . It has to be done, and if nothing else it gives me some time to write up what I've learnt. Sometimes people are awesome enough to give me lifts home/to the station as well (anyone remember my earlier comment; 'Farmy people are the best people'? )

The Challenge is alright. I went to the residential home today which was a bit depressing because some of the residents have varying levels of dementia, which is really sad . Some of the people really didn't know what they were talking about; one chap told me that there was a bomb literally in his hand. Another lady told me that she never had any children, but she likes her grandchildren. None of the people that I spoke to were of English origin, there was a real mixure of Irish, Swiss, Canadian, Asian... but that meant that their relatives live far away so they rarely get visits. They seemed very grateful for the company though, and I got an award thing for apparently being really patient and talkative to everyone I spoke to . Now it's up to us to come up with a project to help improve their lives in some way. Some of the ideas that we have floating around include organising a picnic, writing up a book of all their stories, campaigning for improved public transport for elderly people and bringing in some animals for companionship. Strangely it wasn't me that came up with the animal idea, but the rest of the group and the residents that everyone spoke to seemed really on-board with the idea, so being someone who is quite well connected animal-wise I'm going to try to see if I can pull a few strings.

I can't wait to do lambing, I just hope I can get some booked! I want to go out and organise it NOW, but I can't help but feeling that my thinking is a bit premature...

(Original post by hannapoole)
    Oh and guess who's got a day at an abattoir next week? Me! I'm kinda nervous because I'm not really sure what to expect but luckily my dad has contacts (as he used to be a butcher) so I'm hoping I'll know someone there!
    I got an abattoir contact today (Annabel_lear is an awesome person. Go shower her with love ) so hopefully I can get at least a day before September as well. Gosh if this holiday is a mad rush what on Earth is next year going to bring!? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll try to get four days at a dog groomers at the end of August. I'd really like a week but they're not open on Mondays and I can't do the weekend unfortunately. Four days is still better than nothing though, and as you say it will all add up. I'm aiming for three different practices by September too :yep: . Although sadly they're all SA though grrr.

It's alright really . It has to be done, and if nothing else it gives me some time to write up what I've learnt. Sometimes people are awesome enough to give me lifts home/to the station as well (anyone remember my earlier comment; 'Farmy people are the best people'? )

The Challenge is alright. I went to the residential home today which was a bit depressing because some of the residents have varying levels of dementia, which is really sad . Some of the people really didn't know what they were talking about; one chap told me that there was a bomb literally in his hand. Another lady told me that she never had any children, but she likes her grandchildren. None of the people that I spoke to were of English origin, there was a real mixure of Irish, Swiss, Canadian, Asian... but that meant that their relatives live far away so they rarely get visits. They seemed very grateful for the company though, and I got an award thing for apparently being really patient and talkative to everyone I spoke to . Now it's up to us to come up with a project to help improve their lives in some way. Some of the ideas that we have floating around include organising a picnic, writing up a book of all their stories, campaigning for improved public transport for elderly people and bringing in some animals for companionship. Strangely it wasn't me that came up with the animal idea, but the rest of the group and the residents that everyone spoke to seemed really on-board with the idea, so being someone who is quite well connected animal-wise I'm going to try to see if I can pull a few strings.

I can't wait to do lambing, I just hope I can get some booked! I want to go out and organise it NOW, but I can't help but feeling that my thinking is a bit premature...

I got an abattoir contact today (Annabel_lear is an awesome person. Go shower her with love ) so hopefully I can get at least a day before September as well. Gosh if this holiday is a mad rush what on Earth is next year going to bring!? :lol:
    Aw that's so sweet! They are all really good ideas, makes me wish I did more volunteering things like that. It must be nice hearing stories from people who have experienced life. Good on you!

Lambing wise, I'd just go for it! As soon as I get my summer holiday dates from my school I'm going to try and book my summer up. I wanted to book so much more for this year but I didn't do that well. Basically I only booked one week, which will count for half a week because of the hours! Except from the 2 days I did at the SA vet and the weekends I did. I tried booking last year but a lot either said come back when you're 16 or sort dates out in the new year, but it's worth a shot!

When I'm older I really want to go to an abattoir, although I think it would be pretty scary! Apparently it's not as bad as you expect though? I hope it goes well for you!

I'm worried I'm not really learning much from my work experience. I keep a diary but I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions and stuff I'm also confused because I have decided to keep track of my hours, but I have only done two full weeks at a placement, all my other ones have been either a day thing or long term for only three hours a time. If I add up all my hours and then try and work out how many weeks it is it is about 6 weeks, but I don't think I have actually done that much Oh well, it is quality over quantity after you have met the requirements anyway I need to get farm placements!!!

I think this is the most I've ever posted...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannapoole)
    Lambing is absolutely amazing, you will no doubt love it! Don't worry when you're doing it though, you'll be just fine! It really is very very hands on so much more fun than clinical work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so excited! Any advice or things I should take note of? One thing I do apparently need is a boiler suit! My friends brother, who did it a few years ago, highly recommended it... well, his mum did!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aw that's so sweet! They are all really good ideas, makes me wish I did more volunteering things like that. It must be nice hearing stories from people who have experienced life. Good on you!

Lambing wise, I'd just go for it! As soon as I get my summer holiday dates from my school I'm going to try and book my summer up. I wanted to book so much more for this year but I didn't do that well. Basically I only booked one week, which will count for half a week because of the hours! Except from the 2 days I did at the SA vet and the weekends I did. I tried booking last year but a lot either said come back when you're 16 or sort dates out in the new year, but it's worth a shot!

When I'm older I really want to go to an abattoir, although I think it would be pretty scary! Apparently it's not as bad as you expect though? I hope it goes well for you!

I'm worried I'm not really learning much from my work experience. I keep a diary but I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions and stuff I'm also confused because I have decided to keep track of my hours, but I have only done two full weeks at a placement, all my other ones have been either a day thing or long term for only three hours a time. If I add up all my hours and then try and work out how many weeks it is it is about 6 weeks, but I don't think I have actually done that much Oh well, it is quality over quantity after you have met the requirements anyway I need to get farm placements!!!

I think this is the most I've ever posted...
    You should totally do The Challenge/NCS next year. I think it's a UK-wide project, so it should be available in Scotland .

I've already got the dates for summer 2014, but I'm horrified to see that it's only 5 weeks long! :eek: I already have a week at a rescue centre booked, so I'm going to try for 2 weeks at a zoo and a week at an LA vet as well.

Quit worrying! You're miles ahead of most of us even though you're a year below! :lol: I also fear that I don't remember anything; my only tip would be to write down everything as soon as you can, then type up your notes afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    You should totally do The Challenge/NCS next year. I think it's a UK-wide project, so it should be available in Scotland .

I've already got the dates for summer 2014, but I'm horrified to see that it's only 5 weeks long! :eek: I already have a week at a rescue centre booked, so I'm going to try for 2 weeks at a zoo and a week at an LA vet as well.

Quit worrying! You're miles ahead of most of us even though you're a year below! :lol: I also fear that I don't remember anything; my only tip would be to write down everything as soon as you can, then type up your notes afterwards.
    I'm not ahead of you at all! Far from it, only really have about 3 weeks haha! Wow that must suck! I have only a week more if it helps? :console: Just realised how close you are to applying. I usually wouldn't think this but I feel like time goes so fast lately Also, I worry a lot :lol: Usually about stupid things though! Really stupid things that normal people don't think twice about It's not so bad that I lose sleep over it thankfully

I might look into the challenge, it sounds very interesting!

EDIT: Don't think I can do The Challenge as I think it's only in England There might by a similar thing in Scotland though, I'll ask my teachers when I go back to school!

ReputationRep:
    WOOPWOOP! Just booked a week on a dairy farm in August! Any tips/advice/what to expect etc? I have no idea what to expect, the extent of my cow knowledge = Cows produce milk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJames)
    WOOPWOOP! Just booked a week on a dairy farm in August! Any tips/advice/what to expect etc? I have no idea what to expect, the extent of my cow knowledge = Cows produce milk
    Wooo! I hope I can get some dairy booked, I have done two days but of course I need more! I don't know much about it either, but I loved it! This thread really helped, I made sure I asked a lot of these questions that I wouldn't have thought to ask on my own! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2038211 Just spent ages looking for it, I'm glad I did though
    Just be prepared to get messy! It's really fun though, I would say I enjoyed it the most out of all my work experience, but it's a tie with that and my SA vets!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not ahead of you at all! Far from it, only really have about 3 weeks haha! Wow that must suck! I have only a week more if it helps? :console: Just realised how close you are to applying. I usually wouldn't think this but I feel like time goes so fast lately Also, I worry a lot :lol: Usually about stupid things though! Really stupid things that normal people don't think twice about It's not so bad that I lose sleep over it thankfully

I might look into the challenge, it sounds very interesting!

EDIT: Don't think I can do The Challenge as I think it's only in England There might by a similar thing in Scotland though, I'll ask my teachers when I go back to school!
    3 weeks is 3 weeks more than I had this time last year! :lol: I imagine that most people in your position won't have even started yet .

Tell me about it! I'm next after the coming cycle of applicants. Time is ticking!

Try looking up NCS? Failing that, depending on how close you are to the border, could you perhaps travel down to England?

(Original post by HJames)
    Congratulations on getting some booked! I was going to link you to that exact thread which covers everything, but it seems Holly got there first!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited! Any advice or things I should take note of? One thing I do apparently need is a boiler suit! My friends brother, who did it a few years ago, highly recommended it... well, his mum did!
    Just answering this . It's awesome! Prepare to get covered in sheep juice though! I've heard a lot of people use boiler suits but I just use my farm clothes along with waterproofs, practically the dairy routine. You'll be on your feet a lot so you may not be able to ask questions all the time but you'll be able to ask the odd one here and there and no doubt after it's all finished. Bring wellies obviously especially with our polar-tropical climate . Delivering lambs is just amazing, it's not as gunky as you'd imagine rather a completely amazing spectacle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Dont worry about it!

You have way more than I had at your age, keep persevering and someone will take you for more! I do think its getting much harder though, last year (I was 20 at the time aswell) the farm vets I had been to for 4 weeks previously wouldnt let me go back because I wasnt a vet student!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally not a fan of boiler suits, although I will wear them on top of my clothes if it's a bit chilly but not cold/wet enough to wear waterproofs. If you're female they're a bit awkward for obvious reasons lol. I did lambing in April, although the farm was quite exposed, wet and windy at the time! On cold days I would wear a thermal vest, long johns, trousers, long sleeves top and jumper as well as waterproof trousers & jacket. Layers are good as you can take them off if it gets too warm later on. Wellies are a must. Wear clothes you don't mind getting covered in muck / blood / placenta / sheep smell.

As to what to take note of, I'd take a notebook and jot down everything you see and do. Be sure to ask questions of why they are doing what they are. Common problems include mismothering, death of the lambs, twin lamb disease, lameness in ewes, lamb scour.

I found this to be very hand on and to be honest it's been my best pre-clinical placement so far, as long as you are willing to get stuck in! Don't worry about things being your fault - you will be supervised for the first time you do things normally, and if you're unsure what you're being asked to do, perhaps ask for an example if they aren't good at explaining things in words.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.