Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im hoping to apply for vet med 2015, I have 3 weeks vet work exp and I did weekends at a riding stables for nine months and one week at a competition yard. Just waiting anxiously for my results now!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danoo)
    Hi, im hoping to apply for vet med 2015, I have 3 weeks vet work exp and I did weekends at a riding stables for nine months and one week at a competition yard. Just waiting anxiously for my results now!!
    Hey welcome to this thread, I'm another 2015 hopeful! Looks like you're well on your way with experience and I think we are all anxiously waiting for our results ee. Are you interested in horses a lot then (just got the idea from your picture and all your horse work) as I'm a fellow horsey person too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danoo)
    Hey there, welcome to the thread!

Your experience sounds pretty solid so far :yep: . If there's one thing I'm lacking at the moment it's actual vet work rather than husbandry so I'm jealous of your 3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I'm personally not a fan of boiler suits, although I will wear them on top of my clothes if it's a bit chilly but not cold/wet enough to wear waterproofs. If you're female they're a bit awkward for obvious reasons lol. I did lambing in April, although the farm was quite exposed, wet and windy at the time! On cold days I would wear a thermal vest, long johns, trousers, long sleeves top and jumper as well as waterproof trousers & jacket. Layers are good as you can take them off if it gets too warm later on. Wellies are a must. Wear clothes you don't mind getting covered in muck / blood / placenta / sheep smell.

As to what to take note of, I'd take a notebook and jot down everything you see and do. Be sure to ask questions of why they are doing what they are. Common problems include mismothering, death of the lambs, twin lamb disease, lameness in ewes, lamb scour.

I found this to be very hand on and to be honest it's been my best pre-clinical placement so far, as long as you are willing to get stuck in! Don't worry about things being your fault - you will be supervised for the first time you do things normally, and if you're unsure what you're being asked to do, perhaps ask for an example if they aren't good at explaining things in words.
    Thanks for the tips! I will definitely take a notebook and do what you said, and I'll look out for those problems and I'll try and ask questions about them.
    That made me feel a lot better, I'm really looking forward to it!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a pants day. Had to rush off to the vets because one of my rats was ailing really badly in the heat. All of them have been lethergic but Rin isn't exactly young and she seemed a bit too sleepy as well as being wheezy and worse, lumpy . I think she's lost weight over the past couple of weeks as well. Vet couldn't find much actually wrong but he's prescribed some tablets for her lungs. Rin has no complaints about this because we hide them in a smear of chocolate spread to prevent her spitting them out

I've set up a fan to cool down the cage tomorrow, as well as adding a third water bottle to the cage. I hope that makes things a bit better for my girlies.

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh, hope your little rat is feeling better soon LTC. It's less than a week until I go to France to work on a city farm...tbh I have a feeling that all I'm going to be doing is mucking out, but oh well. One person in my group is going to a dog grooming and training centre! Hope you guys are all well and enjoying the heat (well, apart from LTC's rats)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    Uh oh, hope your little rat is feeling better soon LTC. It's less than a week until I go to France to work on a city farm...tbh I have a feeling that all I'm going to be doing is mucking out, but oh well. One person in my group is going to a dog grooming and training centre! Hope you guys are all well and enjoying the heat (well, apart from LTC's rats)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought I liked the heat, but being sweaty and sticky 24/7 gets old pretty quickly . My rat is looking a little bit better thankfully

Ooooh, I hope you enjoy France! Mucking out is a mahoosive job on farms ! I'll be at an exotics vet next week (the place where I take my rats, I think I need a frigging loyalty card :lol: )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I thought I liked the heat, but being sweaty and sticky 24/7 gets old pretty quickly . My rat is looking a little bit better thankfully

Ooooh, I hope you enjoy France! Mucking out is a mahoosive job on farms ! I'll be at an exotics vet next week (the place where I take my rats, I think I need a frigging loyalty card :lol: )
    Will keep my fingers crossed for your rat and glad he's doing better now x

I'm just at a stables placement now. Better than my last one as I'm not required to do much mucking out :P (plenty of hands + smaller stable + they are nice people). But a bit hot to be doing physical work!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Will keep my fingers crossed for your rat and glad he's doing better now x

I'm just at a stables placement now. Better than my last one as I'm not required to do much mucking out :P (plenty of hands + smaller stable + they are nice people). But a bit hot to be doing physical work!!
    I'm hoping to go to a stable during August. I'm not exactly looking forward to hours of ragging in the sun, though
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to go to a stable during August. I'm not exactly looking forward to hours of ragging in the sun, though
    Drink plenty of water & take sun cream and you'll be fine. I did my dairy placement and running after calves at 30 C is not fun but you just have to put up with it :P I'd rather do it in hot sun than freezing cold personally...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Awww, I just found out that the exotics vet only charged us half price for yesterday's consult. Although technically it was a quarter of the price because it was an emergency appointment which they normally charge double for, and he kept the practice open late just for Rinny That's so sweet I can't wait to go there next week.

Drink plenty of water & take sun cream and you'll be fine. I did my dairy placement and running after calves at 30 C is not fun but you just have to put up with it :P I'd rather do it in hot sun than freezing cold personally...
    You can never have enough water bottles! Sun cream is a must too. I have to apply it religiously. I think I put on loads but it's not even August yet but I already have a ridiculous tan line because of the sleeves on my T-Shirts It doesn't help that I'm naturally very pale. Above my elbow: Irish polar bear dipped in icing sugar, below: extremely tanned After sun lotion is my new best friend.

True, working at extremes is pretty crap in general, but I think it's easier to cool down in summer than it is to heat up in winter. I did some stables work this time last year which I don't remember being too awful. It was handy to have an aunt that is generous with ice lollies

ReputationRep:
    I must say that working with animals outdoors can be pretty dire in winter, which is why I'm soaking up the sun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABC05)
    I must say that working with animals outdoors can be pretty dire in winter, which is why I'm soaking up the sun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For some reason last year I tended to attend indoor placements during summer and outdoor ones in winter. Great planning there, Tails :rolleyes: :lol: . My plan now is to go to a stable in October, kennel in December, lambing in February and April and then an animal rescue centre, equine vet and possibly a zoo in summer. That makes a *bit* more sense

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm another hopeful for 2015. Just thought I'd pop in and say 'hi'. I've done some work experience (small animal, equine vets practice, 7 years at a stables and at an abattoir), and I've got more booked. Anxiously awaiting GCSE results now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGKeams)
    Hello! I'm another hopeful for 2015. Just thought I'd pop in and say 'hi'. I've done some work experience (small animal, equine vets practice, 7 years at a stables and at an abattoir), and I've got more booked. Anxiously awaiting GCSE results now!
    Hello! I'm a 2016 hopeful Well done on the work experience! A lot of people seem to be finding it hard to get large animal practices so your equine is really good! I'm jealous! Good luck with your results, although I'm sure you did well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Challenge ended today until September . I'm just about to leave for my Silver DofE expedition, then on Monday I'm off to the exotics vet for two weeks, I can't wait :dance: :woo: ! I just returned from there because we bought one of the rats in and the receptionist told me that I should just bring a sleeping bag and stay, seeing as I seem to be there so often :lol: .

Hey there, welcome to the thread :hi: ! That's a lot of work experience so far, keep up the good work ! What was the abattoir like? You seem like a horsey person, do you have your own horse? I just read your profile and saw that you keep chickens, me too! I doubt I have as many as you though, I only have seven.

You and me both I don't know what I'll do if I don't get the grades I need .

ReputationRep:
    The Challenge ended today until September . I'm just about to leave for my Silver DofE expedition, then on Monday I'm off to the exotics vet for two weeks, I can't wait :dance: :woo: ! I just returned from there because we bought one of the rats in and the receptionist told me that I should just bring a sleeping bag and stay, seeing as I seem to be there so often :lol: .

Hey there, welcome to the thread :hi: ! That's a lot of work experience so far, keep up the good work ! What was the abattoir like? You seem like a horsey person, do you have your own horse? I just read your profile and saw that you keep chickens, me too! I doubt I have as many as you though, I only have seven.

You and me both I don't know what I'll do if I don't get the grades I need .
    Exotics vet?? That sounds brilliant! :eek: I had a horse until 2 months ago- I had to give her up so I was able to concentrate on my studies
    The abattoir was...an experience. I did one day, but am going back for another four to do a week. It was hard, but it was mainly the smell I think that put me off.
    Good luck with your D of E!
    Oh and as for the chickens; yes, I have around 50 at the moment. I breed them- 3 different breeds
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Exotics vet?? That sounds brilliant! :eek: I had a horse until 2 months ago- I had to give her up so I was able to concentrate on my studies
    The abattoir was...an experience. I did one day, but am going back for another four to do a week. It was hard, but it was mainly the smell I think that put me off.
    Good luck with your D of E!
    Oh and as for the chickens; yes, I have around 50 at the moment. I breed them- 3 different breeds
    Aww, that's a shame. I used to ride myself but also had to give up due to time and money restraints. I hope your dedication to your studies has paid off.

Oooh, I'm hoping to do a day in an abattoir this summer if I can. Hopefully it won't smell too awful

Wow, which breeds are they ? My girls are all just generic RIR x Light Sussex hybrids, so nothing particularly spectacular, but I still think they're beautiful . I volunteer at an urban farm though, and we have a few different breeds there like Ixworths, Old English Pheasant Fowl and Scots Greys. Plenty of turkeys, ducks, fancy pigeons and guinea fowl, too . Do you incubate the eggs yourself or do you leave it to the broodies?

ReputationRep:

Oooh, I'm hoping to do a day in an abattoir this summer if I can. Hopefully it won't smell too awful

Wow, which breeds are they ? My girls are all just generic RIR x Light Sussex hybrids, so nothing particularly spectacular, but I still think they're beautiful . I volunteer at an urban farm though, and we have a few different breeds there like Ixworths, Old English Pheasant Fowl and Scots Greys. Plenty of turkeys, ducks, fancy pigeons and guinea fowl, too . Do you incubate the eggs yourself or do you leave it to the broodies?
    Good luck in the abattoir- do you know which one you are going to go to (or want to go to)? Some of them don't like to let work experience people in; it took me a while to be accepted somewhere.
    I have Araucanas (blue eggs), Hamburghs and Wyandottes. But I LOVE the Ixworths! Just don't have enough room for them
    I incubate the eggs myself, and raise them in the back room :rolleyes: Mother loves that! What do you do on the farm?

ReputationRep:
    I want chickens so bad! Would love a few ex-batts Unfortunately I think my dog would love them too much... another one here anxiously awaiting results, so worried as I'm really borderline in Science so it could go either way :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.