The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CanineVet
I actually applied for that programme through my school haha :tongue: but I was too old - 1 week older than the cutoff point :frown: haha!

There's a trip to go to Malawi with my school but I didn't apply, wish I did now :frown: but it has nothing to do with animals anyway its just an exchange trip because two Malawians came to our school last autumn (nearly froze to death :tongue:) so 12 pupils in my year are going there. It was £2000 each! There's a programme with Gap Africa Projects for pre vet students to go to Africa to do safari work. It looks good but I haven't researched it that much but it costs £1000+ so it may not be ideal but does look very interesting. I was thinking of doing part time work when I get my national insurance number to raise money for it if I do it next summer :smile: not sure yet though

Ouch, that must have been frustrating :frown: I had no idea about the show until one of my friends told me about it, knowing that I would be interested :biggrin: I can't say that I still watch CBBC so I never knew about applications but I would have been too old anyway as I'm already 16. :shakecane:

That sounds interesting! :biggrin: How long was it for? I'll look into it but £1000 is a lot of money and I don't really have the time for a job if I'm spending my time on work experience :s-smilie: . It could be my combined birthday/Christmas present if I raise a bit more on top, but I don't really know...

EDIT: Just had a look, ~£1100 for two weeks of experience isn't bad at all actually. :ninja: I doubt flights are included in that, and extras like that may well push the price up to about £2000, but even so...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Ouch, that must have been frustrating :frown: I had no idea about the show until one of my friends told me about it, knowing that I would be interested :biggrin: I can't say that I still watch CBBC so I never knew about applications but I would have been too old anyway as I'm already 16. :shakecane:

That sounds interesting! :biggrin: How long it it for? I'll look into it but £1000 is a lot of money and I don't really have the time for a job if I'm spending my time on work experience :s-smilie: . It could be my combined birthday/Christmas present if I raise a bit more on top, but I don't really know...

Hahaha I know. I don't watch it either but one of the deputy heads (who I had never spoke to previously) somehow knew I wanted to be a vet and gave me an application which to be handed in the next day so I just did it and wrote "sorry I'm too old but please consider me" haha how sad is that :tongue:

I am not entirely sure I had made a thread about it but I didn't really get a response :tongue: It is really steep and I know nothing of the company as of yet. I actually heard it from an announcement of TSR so they must have some sort of reputation. I would like to do it - I think it may be a week or two in the summer but you have to be of a certain age (perhaps 17?). I a, going to research into it more soon to see of its worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't one of them afraid of dogs at the beginning as well? :tongue: I don't know why some of them were chosen if I'm honest. It's good that he got over his fear though. :smile: It would be nice if Edinburgh offer them a place when they're old enough. :smile:

Awesome! :biggrin: Some students in the year above me are going to Kenya this summer to teach English in an orphanage. I might go next year, but at the same time they have to raise the money to go themselves and I really don't see how I would be able to afford it.

In the same vein, is anyone else really disheartened by all the places that make students pay to do work experience? :frown: It's always really expensive as well. London Zoo's 'Zoo Academy' for example costs £550! :eek: :frown: I don't blame them, if it's a way for them to make a profit then I'm not going to hold that against them if people are willing to pay, it just feels as if they are profiting from people who are desperate. I suppose in the case of London Zoo it's justified if the money is put towards conservation and such, but they're not the only place to do that. :frown:

Yeah I think one of them was! The girl in yellow seems like she really wants to be a vet though :smile:
With my school I applied to go to Rwanda and I got picked! I am honestly soooo so so so excited! We are going to help out in a primary school and meet some children we sponsor! I feel really lucky and excited :excited: The fundraising is difficult but we are nearly there!:smile: Theres 10 of us going :smile: I'm pretty lucky my teachers like me I guess :h:
Hahaha I know. I don't watch it either but one of the deputy heads (who I had never spoke to previously) somehow knew I wanted to be a vet and gave me an application which to be handed in the next day so I just did it and wrote "sorry I'm too old but please consider me" haha how sad is that :tongue:

I am not entirely sure I had made a thread about it but I didn't really get a response :tongue: It is really steep and I know nothing of the company as of yet. I actually heard it from an announcement of TSR so they must have some sort of reputation. I would like to do it - I think it may be a week or two in the summer but you have to be of a certain age (perhaps 17?). I a, going to research into it more soon to see of its worth it :smile:

I probably would have done the same to be honest :colondollar: Well, if you don't ask you don't get. It was worth a try! :tongue:

I had a quick look, there's several different programs you can go on. Most are 2-3 weeks, and you have to be 17+ to do it, so something for the summer after year 12 (year 5 for you guys, I think?) :smile:

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Yeah I think one of them was! The girl in yellow seems like she really wants to be a vet though :smile:
With my school I applied to go to Rwanda and I got picked! I am honestly soooo so so so excited! We are going to help out in a primary school and meet some children we sponsor! I feel really lucky and excited :excited: The fundraising is difficult but we are nearly there!:smile: Theres 10 of us going :smile: I'm pretty lucky my teachers like me I guess :h:

Wow, when's that? Have fun! :biggrin:
I probably would have done the same to be honest :colondollar: Well, if you don't ask you don't get. It was worth a try! :tongue:

I had a quick look, there's several different programs you can go on. Most are 2-3 weeks, and you have to be 17+ to do it, so something for the summer after year 12 (year 5 for you guys, I think?) :smile:

In a couple months :biggrin:
In a couple months :biggrin:

During the summer holiday? :smile: I wish I'd done something useful last summer. :colondollar: I spent two weeks at a stable, that's it. :frown: That's why I'm so behind now.
Reply 166

Yeah, hope you enjoy!! :biggrin: yeah 5th year :smile: so that would be summer 2014 before applying or 2015 before uni then :smile: oh well I might look into more and maybe, just maybe do it - would it be worth any work experience like because you have to pay? Np but if you work for it would that not act as a loophole if you know what I mean? Because you worked hard to get there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, hope you enjoy!! :biggrin: yeah 5th year :smile: so that would be summer 2014 before applying or 2015 before uni then :smile: oh well I might look into more and maybe, just maybe do it - would it be worth any work experience like because you have to pay? Np but if you work for it would that not act as a loophole if you know what I mean? Because you worked hard to get there :smile:

I see what you mean, I was wondering the same thing. I know you're not really supposed to count courses like VetSim and VetMed Link due to the cost, but I don't know about something like this.
Reply 168
I see what you mean, I was wondering the same thing. I know you're not really supposed to count courses like VetSim and VetMed Link due to the cost, but I don't know about something like this.

I think I shall contact the universities about that because it is technically experience and if you did have a job to save up for that you are thereby showing determination, responsibility and initiative. Haha it would be good if they at least did count one week or something :smile: I like the look of vetsim and vetmed link but after hearing that I am wondering whether I am interested in it - that marine mammal course did look particularly intriguing :biggrin: oh well more lambing for me will do the now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
During the summer holiday? :smile: I wish I'd done something useful last summer. :colondollar: I spent two weeks at a stable, that's it. :frown: That's why I'm so behind now.

Yeah :smile: I'm sure you're not behind! I bet some people haven't even started :smile:
Reply 170
Hi guys,
another 2015 hopeful :smile:
Just wondering is anyone considering the new Surrey vet uni?
Also really behind on work experience too :s-smilie:
I finished my GCSE's last June so thats the end of compulsory education. I did start my a levels but for various reasons decided to start them again this September, had loads of free time, so thought I wouldn't waste it, I'd do work experience :smile: I'm 18 in October...so 2015 will hopefully be my uni year!

Brazil is costing £4000! I breed skunks so i'm raising my money by selling them...
I think I shall contact the universities about that because it is technically experience and if you did have a job to save up for that you are thereby showing determination, responsibility and initiative. Haha it would be good if they at least did count one week or something :smile: I like the look of vetsim and vetmed link but after hearing that I am wondering whether I am interested in it - that marine mammal course did look particularly intriguing :biggrin: oh well more lambing for me will do the now :wink:

I really need to get some lambing done. They have a few ewes left to do where I work 9going there tomorrow :awesome:, but I've managed to miss all the births so far :rolleyes: . I did get to help with a few tail dockings and castrations though. :smile:

Yeah :smile: I'm sure you're not behind! I bet some people haven't even started :smile:

I really am. :colondollar: And I sure hope so, otherwise I'm screwed! :sad:
Original post by HJames
Hi guys,

Hey there, welcome to the forum! :biggrin: It's great to have some more 2015 apps on here :yep:

Personally I am not, simply because I think that being their second cohort is a tad risky. RVC is my preference, although an offer from anywhere would be a dream come true! :biggrin:

I'm sure you're not, how much experience do you have so far? :smile:

Original post by slugsiss32

Brazil is costing £4000! I breed skunks so i'm raising my money by selling them...

Skunks?! Awesome! I'd love a skunk but I think my little personal menagerie is enough to handle as it is! :redface: How many do you have? Am I right in thinking that it's illegal to get their scent glands removed now?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HJames
Hi guys,

Hi :smile: Yeah I like the sound of it...Its so close to me as well, so it'd be good to be able to study from home so I can still look after my little home zoo!
Skunks?! Awesome! I'd love a skunk but I think my little personal menagerie is enough to handle as it is! :redface: How many do you have? Am I
right in thinking that it's illegal to get their scent glands removed now?

Lol, I always manage to get skunks into the conversation somehow :P I have three of my own and am looking after two of someone else's until June. Three females, two males. You are correct about the scent glands...not many people know that, well done :biggrin: What animals do you have?
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol, I always manage to get skunks into the conversation somehow :P I have three of my own and am looking after two of someone else's until June. Three females, two males. You are correct about the scent glands...not many people know that, well done :biggrin: What animals do you have?

Also...how do I change my 'profile pic' on here?

Skunks are so sweet - just bundles of black and white fluff! :biggrin: At the moment I have three very pampered rats, two spoilt rotten bunnies, and eight hens. :smile: I'd love to get some more animals, but at the same time I don't want to be worrying about what I do with them in a few years time if I move out, so I doubt I'll get any more for a while.

Do you mean your profile picture (displayed on your personal profile), or your avatar (displayed in the postbit, e.g. mine is the smiling dog)? :smile: Either way you go to where it says 'slugsiss32' at the top, hover over it until the menu pops up, go to 'Customise my TSR', then 'Change my avatar/profile picture'. :smile:

EDIT: I see you've got it! :h: Cute 'lil lambie! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Skunks are so sweet - just bundles of black and white fluff! :biggrin: At the moment I have three very pampered rats, two spoilt rotten bunnies, and eight hens. :smile: I'd love to get some more animals, but at the same time I don't want to be worrying about what I do with them in a few years time if I move out, so I doubt I'll get any more for a while.

Do you mean your profile picture (displayed on your personal profile), or your avatar (displayed in the postbit, e.g. mine is the smiling dog)? :smile: Either way you go to where it says 'slugsiss32' at the top, hover over it until the menu pops up, go to 'Customise my TSR', then 'Change my avatar/profile picture'. :smile:

Managed to sort the avatar out :biggrin: Thanks...Rats are cool, so much more intelligent than people think :smile:
Managed to sort the avatar out :biggrin: Thanks...Rats are cool, so much more intelligent than people think :smile:

Definitely, and so much cleaner and friendlier too! :h:

Well, I say cleaner. They do have a habit of peeing all over each other actually, but I don't mention that to non ratty people. :tongue:

And so modest as well :h:

Very much so :smug: :tongue: :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending