Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have conditional offers from Bath, Sussex and Southampton, all of which I have visited. But I have recently discovered Cardiff and liked the look of it as fulfilling the criteria below (but still not 100% sure), but I don't know if I can still put this down as a choice because my application has been sent and I have had all my offers!

My dilemma is which one to go to. My criteria has been:
    1. Course modules of interest to me
    2. Good general uni stats
    3. Friendly teachers who make the course fun
    4. A campus uni with active student union, good facilities, buzzing social life (e.g. clubs, societies etc.)
    5. Cost effective accommodation all years (halls and private) alongside travel costs.
    6. About 2 hours away from home by public transport (Berkshire area)
    7. The general feel of a place (not too competitive, stressy, mad/lively)

My impressions of Bath have made me feel a little imtimidated (but I am on target to achieve the entry grades of A*AA) and I am concerned it is a bit dull, quiet, Oxbridge-like and competitive. Also the fact that the campus is the smallest out of my choices I am concerned that it will be a bit claustrophobic.

My impressions of Sussex was that it was a bit mad. Also, I didn't know if this campus would also be a bit claustrophobic. The lectuers seemed to be nice and lively, making the course seem more interesting.

My impressions of Southampton are limited. I don't really know what to make of it- the facilities seem amazing and the social life seems to be buzzing. But the lecturers for psychology seemed a bit dull.

And of course, I havent been to Cardiff so I don't know anything as such or even if I can still put this down as an option!!

I didn't know if there is anyone who goes to any of the above unis or knows a lot about them to give me an idea if my impressions are right?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not at uni yet but it looks like were in a pretty similar situation. I'm stuck between Sussex and bath, both of them are great unis but i reckon Sussex has much more going on and i like that they seem quite liberal, plus Brighton is amazing fun!

My Brother is at Southampton and he loves it, says the nightlife is really good, but his friends that study Psych there actually seem quite disappointed with the course. I went to an open day recently and was unimpressed,the lecturers seem quite dull compared to bath and Sussex.

What are your views on the placement at Bath? I don't like the idea of taking another year unpaid but on the other hand it gives good employment opportunities. My brother's friends have struggled to get any psych related placements and the employment rate at Southampton is much lower than at Bath. However the employment rate at Sussex is pretty much the same as Bath despite having no placement. Have you got any ideas on how to decide? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morrijo)
    Hi, I'm not at uni yet but it looks like were in a pretty similar situation. I'm stuck between Sussex and bath, both of them are great unis but i reckon Sussex has much more going on and i like that they seem quite liberal, plus Brighton is amazing fun!

My Brother is at Southampton and he loves it, says the nightlife is really good, but his friends that study Psych there actually seem quite disappointed with the course. I went to an open day recently and was unimpressed,the lecturers seem quite dull compared to bath and Sussex.

What are your views on the placement at Bath? I don't like the idea of taking another year unpaid but on the other hand it gives good employment opportunities. My brother's friends have struggled to get any psych related placements and the employment rate at Southampton is much lower than at Bath. However the employment rate at Sussex is pretty much the same as Bath despite having no placement. Have you got any ideas on how to decide? :confused:
    Thank you for getting back!
    Ohh that is really interesting to hear about Southampton. It reassures me to know that I was not the only one a bit unimpressed. What about the course did your borther's friends find disappointing, out of interest?

To be honest, I am not sure what to make of the placement year at Bath. Like you, I was a bit sceptical of the fact that it meant a year of unpay but, then again, it furthers your experiences on a personal level as well as on a employment basis. For me, I have no idea what I want to do when I leave uni so the placement year isn't an essential although I like the sound of the possibilty of being a research assistant.
    I hadn't seen that the employment rate at Sussex is similar to Bath, but that is very useful to know! But again, the accommodation at sussex seemed very pricey compared to the other unis. :confused:

No, I have no idea on how to decide, hence the reason why I posted this thread. Any information I can get is all good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    hi!

I'm a final year psychology student at Cardiff and I have noooooothing to do with my day, so if you still have the ability to put that down as an option (I'm pretty sure there was a time where uni applications consumed my entire life, and now I can't for the life of me remember how they work) I figured I could let you know how my experience matches with your criteria.

obviously I don't know what you're interested in, but the modules are pretty standard and varied:
    the first two years are mostly just filling BPS core requirements, so - intro courses, social, cognitive, developmental, clinical/abnormal, biological, perception, research design, that sort of stuff.
    Final year modules are more centred around the research interests of the staff - which means that they tend to change at least a little bit from year to year, but you'll find clinical, biological, neuroscience, language, auditory and visual perception, occupational and social there, too.
    Then there's the final project- you indicate areas of interests for you and get assigned a supervisor, and between you, you work out a project that works for both of you. There's a pretty wide range of things you can do here - I was super lucky and got a supervisor who was interested in the exact area I am (language processing), but I know someone else got my supervisor and wanted to work on stuff to do with autism, and she's just combining her and the supervisor's interests into her project.
    I think normally the possibility to take a year out for work placement at Cardiff is a big draw for people, too, but I was too lazy to actually apply for that, so.. I got nothin'.

As far as I'm aware, we do preeeetty well!

It's a mixed bag - pretty much everyone is friendly and willing to help out, and you'd find yourself in reasonably close contact with at least a few staff members over the course of the degree - but as far as fun goes, like most universities you'll find some lecturers who are lively and funny, and some who just sort of stand at the front and say words at you until you write them down*.

*okay, one. I have experienced one of these. still.

The important thing is, though, that pretty much everyone is clearly knowledgeable about, and interested in, the subjects they teach, and I've found it kind of infectious!

4. A campus uni with active student union, good facilities, buzzing social life (e.g. clubs, societies etc.)
    Cardiff is a city university, but your social experiences would toootally depend on where you lived - the residence halls in talybont, for instance, are like a little student village with a shop, laundrettes, a pub/kinda party atmosphere, and sports stuff (and close proximity to a huge 24 hour tesco, ahhh, memories), which would probably give the feel of a campus uni that you're looking for, but it's up to 20 minutes walk to the psychology building; or there are places with no real facilities that are closer to the city centre.

the student union, on the other hand, is pretty good - especially for live music. there's a club which is ooookay, shops and services, a cafe and a pub type place.

societies - a wide range - sporty, educational, music/film/entertainment/super geeky (hello there, harry potter society, how you doin'), whatever you're in to there's probably a pretty active society for it.

Cardiff as a whole definitely has a lively student nightlife, with all sorts of clubs and pubs, and three universities' worth of student populations mean that there are a lot of student discounts for entry.

5. Cost effective accommodation all years (halls and private) alongside travel costs.
    accommodation seems to have something to suit all budgets - talybont ranged from £2500/year to ~£4000/year (both bills inclusive) when I was in first year, and there are lots of places in in between points there. Rent in private housing has been about £250/month not including bills for me, both years - that's for a double bedroom in some of the nicer student houses - and then there are agency fees (~£80) and deposits (~1 month's rent, most of which you get back unless you trash the place).

definitely not too competitive! for the most part you can fit yourself into the uni in a way that suits you, and manage your workload in a way that suits you - I've been less social than most people, I think, and had a pretty quiet experience (although there are definitely lively and loud places if that's what you wanted).

work-wise, in my experience people have been pretty willing to help eachother out - we have an amazing psycardiff society who set up all sorts of events and online study support forums, as well as the official study support facebook page where staff are willing to answer questions.

hope all of this rambling has been in some way useful to you! good luck, wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply- VERY helpful!
    Couple more questions: at my other choices they offer what is called 'extra-credits' in which you participate in current research (usually 3rd year studies etc) for a certain number of hours. I didn't know if Cardiff did something of this nature? If you could would you have now chosen to do the placement year?

Also, what are the local travel facilities like- or are you pretty much self-reliant on getting to and from places? I heard that Southampton give students a free bus pass and the buses run 24/7- any similar services?

I am going to Cardiff's open day in April- is there any places that you would recommend visiting (e.g. where you spend much of your time..)

I don't know if you remember that far back but what were your other choices of uni, and why you chose Cardiff overall?

As you are approaching the end of your time at uni, what have you decided to do next? What help were you offered to reach this decision?

Overall then would you say then that you have enjoyed studying psychology at Cardiff? If you could, what would you change to make the uni experience better?

Hope you don't mind me quizzing you relentlessly but you have been extremely helpful! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noahbuddy)
    (...)
    Hope you don't mind me quizzing you relentlessly but you have been extremely helpful! Thank you!
    sorry for the late reply! I've been in France, quietly avoiding actually working on my final project, but okay, I'll do my best to answer your questions (and any more you may have!) now. Sorry for the wall of text I'm about to throw at you!

Cardiff does have a participant panel system - it's compulsory in first and second year. you have to get 40 credits each year, which is 10 hours participation, to pass the year. It sounded like a pretty daunting task to me at the start of the course but it pretty easily worked its way into my schedule and actually I really enjoyed seeing all of the research that third years and staff were doing. Also, there are quite a lot of opportunities to take part in paid studies through the same system, if that's something you're interested in (there are quite a lot of highly paid MRI type studies, for instance).

I probably would go back and do the placement year, yes! I chose not to do it through a combination of laziness (I am THE WORST) and a fear that I'd get out of the pattern of academic work and feel pretty clueless when I got back for final year, but everyone on the course now who has done a placement year seems so much more together and motivated, and everyone I've spoken to really enjoyed the experience. I know a few people who are doing projects related to their placement, and some who have conditional job offers as a result, and I am super jealous. The range of available placements seemed pretty varied too, both in location and type of placement.

As far as travel facilities - I don't know if you've visited Cardiff before, but it's not a particularly big city, and most of the uni buildings are ~15 minutes walk from the town centre. The only bus travel that the uni pays for is a free shuttle bus from the halls that are further out, University Hall, but I'm pretty sure most people I know don't take buses at all. The bus company within Cardiff does run a pretty regular service that stops really near to student residences and student areas like Roath and Cathays, though, with not hugely expensive fares, and there are a few train stations - one just behind the student union building - so getting around is pretty easy.

I'm not sure what you mean by places I recommend visiting - like, in the uni, or in the city itself? so I'll leave answering this one until you tell me I guess!

yes! okay. my other choices were York, Glasgow, Exeter, and Glamorgan - ultimately I chose Cardiff because I went to the post-offer open day and the tours and staff really impressed me; York would probably have been a strong contender if they had accepted my application, Glasgow was great but didn't seem so.. focused? Exeter seemed to have less enthusiastic staff from what I saw at the open day, and Glamorgan I only applied to because they offered a joint honours course with Psychology and Welsh, which I was considering (and which probably would have been A Terrible Idea).

as for after uni - I am not a person who is good at accepting or asking for help, so I can't tell you too much about the quality of help you can actually get - just that a lot of it is offered! The amount of emails we've all received from the uni careers service is well into double figures, I've definitely seen a lot of people - second years included - having meetings with careers people to go over CVs, do mock interviews, and just discuss options, and there are regular personal tutorials which focus on Personal Development Planning, which is pretty much career related. I'm taking a break and travelling before applying for postgrad, probably, so - yeah, I'm not too helpful here.

I've definitely enjoyed the experience - I love the city, I love the modules I'm doing, the facilities are pretty great, and the staff are pretty frequently really, really helpful and easy to get on with. The things I'd change would all be things I've done - I'd join the psycardiff society and go to more social events, I'd do the placement year, and I'd probably do more "recommended" reading rather than just doing the required stuff.

Feel free to throw any more questions you might have at me! People at the open day will probably be quite helpful and more informed generally, but from what I've seen (endless people traipsing into the study room and sort of staring) there are a lot of people at them, so you might not get a chance to get all of your questions answered.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noahbuddy)
    I have conditional offers from Bath, Sussex and Southampton, all of which I have visited. But I have recently discovered Cardiff and liked the look of it as fulfilling the criteria below (but still not 100% sure), but I don't know if I can still put this down as a choice because my application has been sent and I have had all my offers!

My dilemma is which one to go to. My criteria has been:
    6. About 2 hours away from home by public transport (Berkshire area)

My impressions of Bath have made me feel a little imtimidated (but I am on target to achieve the entry grades of A*AA) and I am concerned it is a bit dull, quiet, Oxbridge-like and competitive. Also the fact that the campus is the smallest out of my choices I am concerned that it will be a bit claustrophobic.

My impressions of Sussex was that it was a bit mad. Also, I didn't know if this campus would also be a bit claustrophobic. The lectuers seemed to be nice and lively, making the course seem more interesting.

My impressions of Southampton are limited. I don't really know what to make of it- the facilities seem amazing and the social life seems to be buzzing. But the lecturers for psychology seemed a bit dull.

And of course, I havent been to Cardiff so I don't know anything as such or even if I can still put this down as an option!!

I didn't know if there is anyone who goes to any of the above unis or knows a lot about them to give me an idea if my impressions are right?

Thank you!
    Hi noahbuddy

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the other universities but I can provide you with a bit more information about Bath if that would be helpful?

There really is no need to feel intimidated by Bath! If you are on track to achieve the entry grades for the course then you would fit in fine and find the level of the work to be perfect for you. Bath isn't a huge city but with two universities and lots of tourists, there is always lots going on. The Students' Union at Bath is fantastic and organises lots of events and activities for students - it is one of only 4 unions in the country to be awarded a Gold SUEI award (http://www.nusconnect.org.uk/charity/suei/) as recognition of the excellent work it does to enhance student experience.

The campus isn't huge but this makes for a very friendly and safe atmosphere. The city centre is very close, so you get the benefits of a campus university with the convenience of all the amenities of the city centre nearby. If you want to get away, Bristol is only 15 minutes and London less than a 90 minute train journey away.

You mentioned that you weren't sure about the placement year - this is a big feature of the Psychology programme at Bath. Although many placements are unpaid, there are some paid placements. If you are not sure about what you want to do as a career, a placement is an amazing opportunity to "try out" a job and see if you like it! It also looks excellent on your CV if you do decide you want to work in a psychology-related field - getting experience in this area can be really tough.

If you did decide that Cardiff was the place for you, your options at this point would be to go through Extra (http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra) or wait until August and see if you could go through Clearing or Adjustment (http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/). Extra would be risky as you would have to decline all of your other offers and may not get an offer from Cardiff. EVen if you did get an offer, you would not then have an Insurance offer. If you are thinking about this, I would recommend having a talk through the process with someone from your school/college.

Hope that this helps a bit - let me know if I can provide any more information about Bath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi noahbuddy

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the other universities but I can provide you with a bit more information about Bath if that would be helpful?

There really is no need to feel intimidated by Bath! If you are on track to achieve the entry grades for the course then you would fit in fine and find the level of the work to be perfect for you. Bath isn't a huge city but with two universities and lots of tourists, there is always lots going on. The Students' Union at Bath is fantastic and organises lots of events and activities for students - it is one of only 4 unions in the country to be awarded a Gold SUEI award (http://www.nusconnect.org.uk/charity/suei/) as recognition of the excellent work it does to enhance student experience.

The campus isn't huge but this makes for a very friendly and safe atmosphere. The city centre is very close, so you get the benefits of a campus university with the convenience of all the amenities of the city centre nearby. If you want to get away, Bristol is only 15 minutes and London less than a 90 minute train journey away.

You mentioned that you weren't sure about the placement year - this is a big feature of the Psychology programme at Bath. Although many placements are unpaid, there are some paid placements. If you are not sure about what you want to do as a career, a placement is an amazing opportunity to "try out" a job and see if you like it! It also looks excellent on your CV if you do decide you want to work in a psychology-related field - getting experience in this area can be really tough.

If you did decide that Cardiff was the place for you, your options at this point would be to go through Extra (http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra) or wait until August and see if you could go through Clearing or Adjustment (http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/). Extra would be risky as you would have to decline all of your other offers and may not get an offer from Cardiff. EVen if you did get an offer, you would not then have an Insurance offer. If you are thinking about this, I would recommend having a talk through the process with someone from your school/college.

Hope that this helps a bit - let me know if I can provide any more information about Bath.
    Thank you so much for getting back to me- sorry I haven't replied sooner. I didn't know if you knew any Bath psychology students who would be willing to answer some of my questions and/or to tell me about their experience?

ReputationRep:
    Hi noahbuddy,

If you can let me know if you have any specific queries/areas of concern then I will try to speak to some current psychology students, who I am sure would be more than happy to share their experiences

I look forward to your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you! Well, I dont have any specific questions, as such, but I just wanted to know how they have found the course, lecturers, support, examinations etc. Also, just how they have found studying at Bath to be and what goes on, for example, anything set up by the student union etc.

Hope this isn't too broad! Thank you very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi noahbuddy,

I've just received the below from a current (fourth year) psychology student here at Bath.

I hope that this helps to provide the type of insight you are looking for

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my psychology degree at the University of Bath. The past four years have gone by far too quickly! I would highly recommend the psychology degree at the University of Bath to prospective students. The degree is recognised as one of the best in the country (ranked 3rd just below Oxbridge on the Complete University Guide) and is one of the few psychology degrees that require students to complete a compulsory placement year.

The course itself is fantastic! In the first two years students complete a broad range of units looking at different fields within psychology such as biological psychology, personality, social psychology and developmental psychology, as well as learning essential research skills. The third year is spent on placement, which sounds scary at first but it a great opportunity to put what you have learnt into practice.

The psychology department assist you in securing a placement and are incredibly supportive with reading CVs and cover letters and running mock interviews. Previous placement students have worked in various settings including hospitals, businesses, prisons, therapy clinics and universities. Many students have had the opportunity to work abroad; the department has good contacts with institutions such as Harvard and with universities in Australia and New Zealand. When you return from placement, you are required to complete two compulsory units (one of which is the dissertation) but you are able to choose your remaining topics. I really liked being able to personalise my final year units to fit what I am particularly interested in. Units tend to be assessed using a mixture of assessment types such as essays, oral presentations, poster projects, group research projects, lab report and exams.

The lecturers and support staff in the department are always on hand and willing to answer any questions you have. At Bath you benefit for being taught by lecturers who are professionals in their fields and have lots of first-hand experience and knowledge.

Bath is a brilliant place to study and live. There is always so much going to for you to get involved with. The Students Union (SU) has so many sports clubs, societies and student groups, there really is something for everyone. You can also get involved in volunteering or find part time work on campus. Details of what the SU has to offer can be seen at www.bathstudent.com

Overall I have had a great time at studying Psychology at the University of Bath and I'm certain that you would too!"

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.