Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do I need to Physics at A2 to study Engineering at uni, or can I study it with Physics AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal121)
    Do I need to Physics at A2 to study Engineering at uni, or can I study it with Physics AS?
    depends what you want to do, but in most cases you need physics A2 but for maths they will let you get away with an AS.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities will let you get away without it, but since engineering is based off physics A2 (you'll probably recap the relevant content in your first year), and why would you intentionally limit your options? Just make sure you have Maths A2.

ReputationRep:
    Only way to be sure is to check on the UCAS website. Most would like either chemistry or physics A2 alongside maths A2. But i agree with 'silentprey', don't limit your options. Plus, if engineering is really what you want to do, an enthusiasm for physics (or chemistry if you want to do chem eng) is ideal - not to say that if you're not particularly turned on by physics that you wouldn't be good at engineering. I'm much more maths inclined than physics, personally .

ReputationRep:
    The only really universally required subject (for those who want subjects) will be maths. Going up from that, some will want physics to be offered, or mechanics modules in the maths must be completed instead.

A lot of the stuff you do in the first year, as mentioned above, is simply the mechanics modules that you did in physics. You'll recap a lot of it and very quickly make improvements. A couple of my friends didn't do physics at all, just the maths and other courses. I only did maths AS (with mechanics) as well as A2 physics and other subjects.

It would be very useful to do as much physics and maths as you can, but no, it is not essential. If you like the mechanics modules, you'll love the mechanical sorts of engineering - That's a major part of what you do in the first year. In essence, the first year will be used to round of all students to the same level. Different people did different courses, and so everyone needs to be brought up to the same standard.

In terms of subjects, I have to say, my choices seemed to be very good: Maths, physics, design tech and electronics. My first year modules are literally paired off perfectly with those subjects! The maths modules are a major leap up, and so is the electrical stuff, but I have a very good idea of what I'm doing thanks to this mixture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    depends what you want to do, but in most cases you need physics A2 but for maths they will let you get away with an AS.
    What if I have A2 maths and further maths, but AS physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That should be fine. But seriously, check the uni you want to apply to on the ucas website and click on course specific requirements and it will tell you. Alternatively, the university website will also tell you.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thats fine most universities i have checked seem to want Maths mainly and don't specify physics but it does say in the description "We usually prefer candidates who have also studied one of physics,chemistry,further maths,computing" for example. So its fine! xD However it really depends on the university some courses like aerospace engineering definitely want physics and maths both A2.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.