Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all. I have titrated a calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) solution against a hydrochloric acid solution. The hydrochloric acid has a concentration of 0.030 mol dm-3. I need to calculate the concentration of the calcium hydroxide solution. Does anyone know how I can do this...
    My average titre was 20.38 CM3.
    Any help or ideas would be so cool.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshj)
    Hello to all. I have titrated a calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) solution against a hydrochloric acid solution. The hydrochloric acid has a concentration of 0.030 mol dm-3. I need to calculate the concentration of the calcium hydroxide solution. Does anyone know how I can do this...
    Thankyou
    You need the equation Ca(OH)2) + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + 2H2O
    n=c x v
    n = 0.030 x 0.02038
    n = 0.0006114 mols of HCl

divide by 2 as the ratio is 2:1 will give you the mols of Ca(OH)2)

=0.0003057 mols of Ca(OH)2)

c=n divided by v
    c = 0.0003057 divided by 0.02038 = 0.015 mol dm -3

I'm not sure if this is totally correct but its how i did mine so i hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshj)
    Thankyou
    for any titration calculation,use te following equation?
    (Concentration*VOlume)/no. of moles (of acid) = (Concentration*volume)/no .of moles (of base)

wher no of moles is calculated from balancing an equation
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omario)
    (Concentration*VOlume)/no. of moles (of acid) = (Concentration*volume)/no .of moles (of base)

good luck
    oooooooh man......I really hate dis subject.....yuk....

ReputationRep:
    Ahh chemistry calculations are lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omario)

good luck

I got my average titration at 9.20 because i diluted the hcl to 0.1m is that ok,

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.