Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Cut waste in government Watch

• View Poll Results: How to cut spending to allow tax cuts for the poorest?
    Leave the EU
    25.00%
    Cut government non-jobs
    8.33%
    Cut Public sector pensions to private pensions equivalent
    8.33%
    Freeze all public sector pay over 40k
    0%
    Abolish/cut MP or public sector workers expenses f(or say travel etc..)
    0%
    Cut Welfare spending
    16.67%
    Cut money spent on prisoners (including cost of food ,tvs,cetc..)
    0%
    Stop paying more than the market-rate on contracts
    41.67%
    Prioritise UK firms for government contracts
    0%

ReputationRep:
    What the UK government needs to do:

Leave the EU( to free up at least £48 million a day)*
    Cut waste (remove unnecessary bureaucracy)
    Cut benefit fraud
    Cut tax evasion
    Remove/Dramatically decrease the amount spent on the expenses system for MPs and Councillors- they should use the bus like the people they represent rather than using taxi's
    Automatically fine all convicted criminals , with the amount proportional to the crime and the person's assets/wealth
    Cut waste
    Cutting foreign aid - and not giving money to other government's(where there is a risk of funds been misspent), but giving contracts to preferably UK companies to say build schools,roads,sanitation facilities in poorer countries, not countries like India which has space programs- after all charity begins at home and the UK has poor people

At the moment the government wastes £31 billion a year on 'rip-off contracts' **
    Government waste should be cut NOT libraries and front-line services -we need to cut the real waste, not the easy pickings
    We need to build a good work ethic and a society in which hard work is rewarded and not punished through excessive taxes but looks after the GENUINELY needy

Use the savings to:

Lower VAT
    Lower income tax for those earning under 35k
    Give NI breaks to employers who employ more than 10 permanently unemployed people (aka those unemployed for over 12 months)

I think the government should be as small as possible as whatever the government gives out , was taken BY FORCE from someone else
    *We have the EEA,WTO and the UN

** (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...contracts.html)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lic-money.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11512287

government spending has been uncontrolled for most of the last 60 years bar Maggie (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/archives/9796)

ReputationRep:
    Need to be able to select more than one option on the poll.

ReputationRep:
    Also the Government should NOT spend more than twice on prison food than NHS patients.

Why should the criminals eat better than the sick and the infirm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jac93)
    I accidentally forgot to click it- it won't let me change it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jac93)
    What did you want to select anyway?

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    Cut government non-jobs

Freeze all public sector pay over 40k - Might be a touch harsh on those on 40K. Was thinking freezing/cutting wages of the higher ranked public sector workers. Shocking how much some of these bureaucrats get paid.

Abolish/cut MP or public sector workers expenses f(or say travel etc..) - Particularly MPs. Do you really need a luxury house/apartment for a second home? Also, do you really need vast amounts of taxpayer money on refurbishing your offices?

Stop paying more than the market-rate on contracts - Should be bloody common sense really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jac93)
    Cut government non-jobs

Freeze all public sector pay over 40k - Might be a touch harsh on those on 40K. Was thinking freezing/cutting wages of the higher ranked public sector workers. Shocking how much some of these bureaucrats get paid.

Abolish/cut MP or public sector workers expenses f(or say travel etc..) - Particularly MPs. Do you really need a luxury house/apartment for a second home? Also, do you really need vast amounts of taxpayer money on refurbishing your offices?

Stop paying more than the market-rate on contracts - Should be bloody common sense really.
    |Exactly

Leaving the EU would save billions alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    What the UK government needs to do:

Leave the EU( to free up at least £48 million a day)*
    Cut waste (remove unnecessary bureaucracy)
    Cut benefit fraud
    Cut tax evasion
    Remove/Dramatically decrease the amount spent on the expenses system for MPs and Councillors- they should use the bus like the people they represent rather than using taxi's
    Automatically fine all convicted criminals , with the amount proportional to the crime and the person's assets/wealth
    Cut waste
    Cutting foreign aid - and not giving money to other government's(where there is a risk of funds been misspent), but giving contracts to preferably UK companies to say build schools,roads,sanitation facilities in poorer countries, not countries like India which has space programs- after all charity begins at home and the UK has poor people

At the moment the government wastes £31 billion a year on 'rip-off contracts' **
    Government waste should be cut NOT libraries and front-line services -we need to cut the real waste, not the easy pickings
    We need to build a good work ethic and a society in which hard work is rewarded and not punished through excessive taxes but looks after the GENUINELY needy

Use the savings to:

Lower VAT
    Lower income tax for those earning under 35k
    Give NI breaks to employers who employ more than 10 permanently unemployed people (aka those unemployed for over 12 months)

I think the government should be as small as possible as whatever the government gives out , was taken BY FORCE from someone else
    *We have the EEA,WTO and the UN

** (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...contracts.html)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lic-money.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11512287

government spending has been uncontrolled for most of the last 60 years bar Maggie (http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/archives/9796)
    Am not saying I disagree with you about the EU because am totally on the bench about this at the minute but the massive majority of our countries investment comes from the EU centrally and being part of the single market we have a say on how it's ran.

So the benefits outweigh the costs and more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Also the Government should NOT spend more than twice on prison food than NHS patients.

Why should the criminals eat better than the sick and the infirm?
    I read in the paper a few weeks ago about some prisoners that refused to eat canteen food and threatened to harm themselves unless they were given some KFC. Naturally, a prison officer was straight away sent on a twenty odd mile trip to go and get some. What kind of country are we living in, when prisoners can hold the justice system to ransom?

ReputationRep:
    Waste is not the options listed here is an example the botched IT under Labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I read in the paper a few weeks ago about some prisoners that refused to eat canteen food and threatened to harm themselves unless they were given some KFC. Naturally, a prison officer was straight away sent on a twenty odd mile trip to go and get some. What kind of country are we living in, when prisoners can hold the justice system to ransom?
    So your just gonna let the guy die then, plus have you seen the food they are given in prison? its dog food basically.

ReputationRep:
    TBH my Dad has worked in local and national government and I've bought this up with him and from what he's told me there is actually a lot less waste in government than the public thinks. The current government, with it's program of austerity will have already cut all the "waste" that can be got rid of without causing inefficiencies that will cost more in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    There is a thing called the single market and the legislation states procurement should be opened up to European companies aswell. People who oppose the EU fail to realise that the European Bureaucracy is smaller than a member state's bureaucracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    So your just gonna let the guy die then, plus have you seen the food they are given in prison? its dog food basically.
    Prison food tastes bad does it? Cry me a river...
    And no, I wouldn't have basically let the guy die then, he should have been restrained, bound, force fed and then placed in solitary. I'm a law abiding working tax payer and rarely can I afford to eat out at KFC, no way in hell should I be footing the bill for three criminals to have some. Lets not even talk about what princple and precedent that incident has set.

ReputationRep:
    Prison food tastes bad does it? Cry me a river...
    And no, I wouldn't have basically let the guy die then, he should have been restrained, bound, force fed and then placed in solitary. I'm a law abiding working tax payer and rarely can I afford to eat out at KFC, no way in hell should I be footing the bill for three criminals to have some. Lets not even talk about what princple and precedent that incident has set.
    I think your going a bit over the top, Im guessing you have never spent a night in a cell. As for the KFC thing I think you accounted less than 0.0001p of that kfc tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Needs to be a multichoice poll.

I chose stop paying over the market rate on contracts. This is what is destroying Britain because it is stopping government getting anything done. I believe the time for austerity is past, but if you're going to do it, might as well do it properly. At the moment we cannot do it properly as things like the Universal Jobmatch IT contract are just taken the piss out of by the contractors.

Of course it's no great concern of the government ministers as they actually have an incentive to overpay for outsourcing. We need to stamp out corruption, and if we're not going to bring it in-house then we need to insist on some sort of transparency or payment-by-results. Or maybe even pay more to the public sector workers to be able to draft decent contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I think your going a bit over the top, Im guessing you have never spent a night in a cell. As for the KFC thing I think you accounted less than 0.0001p of that kfc tbh.
    I like how you phrase that, as if to imply that prison isn't easy. It's not bloody supposed to be!
    And no, I haven't ever spent a night in a cell, God forbid I've kept on the right side of the law my entire life? :rolleyes:
    I take it you also haven't heard of 'principle'?

ReputationRep:
    I like how you phrase that, as if to imply that prison isn't easy. It's not bloody supposed to be!
    And no, I haven't ever spent a night in a cell, God forbid I've kept on the right side of the law my entire life? :rolleyes:
    I take it you also haven't heard of 'principle'?
    Stay on the right side of the law all you want but does not mean you will not have to spend atleast one night in a cell for questioning or when your not granted bail. I understand where your coming from but seriously think your overreacting to a prisoner receiving KFC that cost you next to nothing, admittedly it should not happen but nothing could be done about it. As for the last comment your just being a twit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Stay on the right side of the law all you want but does not mean you will not have to spend atleast one night in a cell for questioning or when your not granted bail.
    Bar an incident that is out of my control, I'd never be wanted for questioning or be granted bail anyway, so I fail to see what point you're trying to make. If this out of my control incident did happen, I'd simply take a man-up pill and live through it. I'm was in the army, I've slept in worse conditions than a prison cell. If anything I'd be even more distraught if my night in the cell was anything less than the bare minimum of comfort levels.

(Original post by yaboy)
    I understand where your coming from but seriously think your overreacting to a prisoner receiving KFC that cost you next to nothing, admittedly it should not happen but nothing could be done about it. As for the last comment your just being a twit
    I'm being a twit for believing in principle? That says more about you really than anything else.
    No, I am not overreacting. A prisoner has extorted and held to ransom the justice system, and the justice system caved in. I don't care how little a KFC costs, they shouldn't ever ever under any circumstances be getting any. Now all the prisoners know that if you want anything, just threaten to self harm and the mugs that are the Prison Service will give it to you.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.