The Student Room Group

Not sure if I want to go to university?

Hi everyone,

I'm in year 13 and am taking English Literature,RE,and History. I have always done pretty good at school,and am predicted AAB.

I have applied for university next year,but I am not sure if I really want to go :frown: I have had 4/5 offers from some top uni's,which is great and stuff but I feel half motivated.Sometimes it feels everyone else wants me to go more than I do myself. And I can't tell if its cold feet or genuine doubt.

I guess I've never really had the chance to think about what I really want to do,and nearly all of my friends have at least some idea of what it is they want to do.Nearly all ( except 2 of them) have applied for university,and I don't know what to do if I don't go except get a job,an apprenticeship, or take a gap year and go the year after.I don't want to spend all the money on a degree I am only half interested in :/
But I don't want to be stuck at home forever either :frown:

What can I do?

I am just looking for some general advice really :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Mate after finishing A levels I went to university, spent a year in industry, graduated from university and now have a job. I still don't really know what the hell I want to do, don't worry about it!

It's remarkably common. If you choose a degree you're interested in, that gives good transferable skills and is going to make you generally employable then you won't go far wrong. University is a great time to begin to figure out what you want to do with yourself, but careers are ever changing beasts so don't feel you have to nail it down right now! The only thing you don't want to do is stagnate, just keep building your skills, experience and qualifications and you'll always have options open :smile:
Reply 2
Join the club! I've got a degree, working f/time at the moment and don't really know what to be at.

You could defer a year at university if you do get into one of those top unis while you take gap year, travel, even just work for a bit until you decide if you really want to study when the time comes around?

Sometimes real life experience counts for a lot more than a degree (which everyone's got) x
Reply 3
Yeh,I was thinking of taking a gap year,but then I guess I thought it would be best to get uni out the way first,but now I think I might take a gap year instead :biggrin: I'm not sure how to tell my parents because I think they don't want me to :s But I would rather travel,work,and enjoy life for a year.I feel too young for uni still,lol,I'm not 18 until August :P

Exactly,I want life experiences first,and I would rather be able to make my own choices in my own time than rush it and go to uni straight away.

Thanks for the answers btw guys :smile:
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending