Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How many of you are Vegetarians? Watch

ReputationRep:
    me...

Not really sure why..

I loose track... - but its been nearly 5 years now and well, its just how I live.. Im used to it, im happy, etc.. would be quite a change now to adjust and go back to eating meat..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myusername.)
    I'm trying to become a vegetarian as I dislike the idea of eating meat, plus I feel that with the whole horse-meat scandal that has come about recently, we don't really know what we're eating a lot of time. I've been trying to not eat meat for a few weeks now but I have caved in once or twice, any advice on how to not give into temptation?
    -Keep your reasons in mind, all the time.
    -Learn to cook really good vegetarian tasty recipes without meat
    -What foods or situations make you give in? If it's foods-find a great alternative or allow yourself a bit of it at first maybe have a day off once per week.. You may find you soon aren't so bothered about having it any longer. If it's situations, find a way around it-say if it's a restaurant/pub you go often with no good veggie options on the menu, find another great place to go instead or write to them with some suggestions.
    I'd give more if I knew more about you/your situations and thus what can help

ReputationRep:
    I am I only stopped eating meat completely within the last couple of years, because I kind of stopped eating it gradually (mostly because of convenience - which I now think was a bit stupid). I just decided that I didn't like the way that animals are treated and I disagree with them being killed for food

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myusername.)
    I'm trying to become a vegetarian as I dislike the idea of eating meat, plus I feel that with the whole horse-meat scandal that has come about recently, we don't really know what we're eating a lot of time. I've been trying to not eat meat for a few weeks now but I have caved in once or twice, any advice on how to not give into temptation?
    Eventually the temptation goes, though it's a gradual thing. I think the hardest times are the first two to four weeks. I've not eaten meat for 10 years, and I have honestly had no desire whatsoever to eat meat for several years now. After a while I think it just starts to look a bit grim to veggie eyes!

If you're struggling a bit, then meat replacements might help. Asda's frozen meat free meatballs are rather good. I'm a recent convert to them after a fellow veggie introduced me to them, but they are quite good (not sure how much they taste like beef though? I can't remember what meat tastes like really and I can count the number of times that I ate beef on one hand).

When you really struggle, then it's probably worth remembering the person who thinks you won't last, and deciding to prove them wrong (maybe this is just me though? I'm really stubborn). Or go and find some information about factory farming and slaughter, and recall that every time you're tempted.

ReputationRep:
    I try to keep my meat in-take to a minimum and almost always choose vegetarian option over the meat one, however it's mostly due to the fact that I find vegetarian food nicer and healthier (I dislike the taste of meat) as opposed to moral reasons.

ReputationRep:
    i am because i call myself an animal lover
    how i can say i love animals and eat them?
    also health reasons
    i researched A LOT before i made the massive commitment to become a vegetarian and you wouldn't believe the health complications that come with eating meat

ReputationRep:
    I am. One day when I was about seven I just decided to stop eating meat and that kind of stuck. It's weird I know, I really don't care about animal rights etc.

ReputationRep:
    i've been veggie for eleven years now because i don't like meat, fish and poultry. i do care about the environmental impacts of meat consumption and i think animal rights really should improve. but if i was serious about animal rights i'd go vegan.

ReputationRep:
    I love meat give me meat . Meat on meat with a side of MEAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian for nearly 3 months now! I've tried soo many times before and failed miserably, so im so pleased with myself. I mainly did it because I love animals, and the suffering that goes on in the slaughter houses is sickening. I watched this under cover video of one, watched a family of lambs be slaughtered, first the mum, then each little lamb, but it was the last one that really got me... it looked petrified after watching its whole family be slaughtered, couldn't even imagine how it must have felt poor things.

But also, since i've stopped eating meat, i've been reading up on all the health benefits and environmental benefits so now I really can't see myself eating meat again, especially after the horse meat scandal.. we don't really know whats in it do we?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.
    I've been curious for a while though (and I'm not trying to pick a fight) - do many vegetarians realise how many animals are killed in the production of crops?

ReputationRep:
    I became a vegetarian at about age 15 (I'm almost 23 now) And I became so because I dislike the treatment of animals in the food/farming industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Really?
    I'm a Vegitarian, but PETA are just nut-case borderline terrorists as far as im concerned.
    Don't there tactics and general tom-foolery put you off?
    It's true that the USA did investigate People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) for terrorism charges, along with organisations like the Humane Society of the United States, and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. The fact that they are still benefiting from public funding many years later shows how daft the idea was. But mud sticks unfortunately.

Some of their campaigns do put me off, but generally they do know how to grab a headline. If I felt that their campaigning was having a negative effect on public opinion, I would stop supporting them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian. I can't remember when I started being one exactly (probably about a year and a half ago) but I've never liked meat. I just hate the idea of having animal in your mouth... it's another entity that breathes, feels and has a little life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I have been a vegetarian since age 10. Initially I stopped eating meat temporarily due to a bad experience where I was served almost-raw chicken at a McDonalds, makes me feel sick thinking back to it! However, I never begun eating meat again as I realised how unethical killing an animal is just so that I can feel the pleasure that eating it gives me. I'd love to go vegan but I have suffered with selective eating disorder my whole life and I simply cannot lower the range of foods I eat down any more.

ReputationRep:
    I am. I just don't like the thought of animals being killed for me to eat, when there are other things out there that I can eat. I don't even miss eating meat. Even when someone is in the kitchen making something with meat and I'm making my vegetarian food, I'd rather eat what I am making. I just don't like the thought of it... They were once living... Now they are on your plate... It puts me off.

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarian since birth my mum is a veggie as has always said I can try meat if I want to but tbh to me the idea is just a tad repulsive but everyones different

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndefinedGirl)
    Vegetarian since birth my mum is a veggie as has always said I can try meat if I want to but tbh to me the idea is just a tad repulsive but everyones different

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *and has

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I´ve read through the responses and the majority of you seem to be vegetarians because you´re against the way the animals are treated. But why:confused:.

If you´re religious like me (I´m a muslim) then it says in the quran that god has provided us with lawful foods which we are allowed to consume, which includes meat.
    Of course as a muslim it is perfectly okay to be a vegeterian or vegan, but back where I come from, you´re considered crazy and an idiot if your reason for not consuming meat is that you feel sorry for animals. God provided us with animals so we could eat them.
    I personally have nothing against vegeterians/vegans. If it makes you happy, go for it .
    But I still don´t understand why :confused:

Of course the argument above will only go down well with the religious("The People of the Book", so not hindus and the like), but for the non-religious you could argue that it is the survival of the fittest. Since we humans are more "fit" to the environment and more intelligent than animals it is not immoral for us to utilise our ability and intelligence to haunt animals down.
    A carnivore and a predator like a lion would haunt us down if it was hungry, so why can´t we do the same?
    (The argument that we´re intelligent beings and thereby understand what is wrong/right doesn´t cut it either, because in nature more intelligent animals use their ability to haunt less intelligent animals. Why can´t whe do the same?)

Cheers

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.