Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How many of you are Vegetarians? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali-Iraq94)
    So I´ve read through the responses and the majority of you seem to be vegetarians because you´re against the way the animals are treated. But why:confused:.

If you´re religious like me (I´m a muslim) then it says in the quran that god has provided us with lawful foods which we are allowed to consume, which includes meat.
    Of course as a muslim it is perfectly okay to be a vegeterian or vegan, but back where I come from, you´re considered crazy and an idiot if your reason for not consuming meat is that you feel sorry for animals. God provided us with animals so we could eat them.
    I personally have nothing against vegeterians/vegans. If it makes you happy, go for it .
    But I still don´t understand why :confused:

Of course the argument above will only go down well with the religious("The People of the Book", so not hindus and the like), but for the non-religious you could argue that it is the survival of the fittest. Since we humans are more "fit" to the environment and more intelligent than animals it is not immoral for us to utilise our ability and intelligence to haunt animals down.
    A carnivore and a predator like a lion would haunt us down if it was hungry, so why can´t we do the same?
    (The argument that we´re intelligent beings and thereby understand what is wrong/right doesn´t cut it either, because in nature more intelligent animals use their ability to haunt less intelligent animals. Why can´t whe do the same?)

Cheers
    Hiya,
    My reason for currently remaining vegetarian is simply because I don't think the taste of meat is worth the taking of another animal's life. It's simply a case of the benefit not outweighing the cost for me. I don't feel at all comfortable eating meat for this reason because it goes against my personal morals.
    However, I have no issue at all with others eating meat! I am not offended by people eating meat around me. I am asked all the time "do you mind if I eat this around you?" and I always say that it doesn't bother me but I do appreciate the ask. My boyfriend eats meat which I don't have a problem with because I feel it's a very personal decision. As you say, it is normal for an animal to use their abilities to kill, prepare and eat meat and humans aren't the exception to this.
    I believe though that it is the level of human intelligence that permits us to make the decision whether to or whether not to eat meat and it is a choice based on personal beliefs. I completely understand why you eat meat based on the teachings of the Quran, for example! I simply refrain from eating meat because I don't feel I can justify it.

ReputationRep:
    So I´ve read through the responses and the majority of you seem to be vegetarians because you´re against the way the animals are treated. But why:confused:.

If you´re religious like me (I´m a muslim) then it says in the quran that god has provided us with lawful foods which we are allowed to consume, which includes meat.
    Of course as a muslim it is perfectly okay to be a vegeterian or vegan, but back where I come from, you´re considered crazy and an idiot if your reason for not consuming meat is that you feel sorry for animals. God provided us with animals so we could eat them.
    I personally have nothing against vegeterians/vegans. If it makes you happy, go for it .

Of course the argument above will only go down well with the religious("The People of the Book", so not hindus and the like),
    There you go, you've answered your own question there.

but for the non-religious you could argue that it is the survival of the fittest. Since we humans are more "fit" to the environment and more intelligent than animals it is not immoral for us to utilise our ability and intelligence to haunt animals down.
    No, survival of the fittest applies to surviving, not killing things because they're weaker.

A carnivore and a predator like a lion would haunt us down if it was hungry, so why can´t we do the same?
    The key difference here is the word 'carnivore'. Humans are omnivores, lions are not. We can eat both meat and non-meat without severely upsetting our bodies.
    Lions also rape other lions and kill newborns; should we do the same?

(The argument that we´re intelligent beings and thereby understand what is wrong/right doesn´t cut it either, because in nature more intelligent animals use their ability to haunt less intelligent animals. Why can´t whe do the same?)
    The intelligence of animals isn't in the same league as our own. We have the ability to reason, to make judgements based on evidence and both emotions and rationality, not just instincts and hormones.

Ignoring all of that though, the main argument is that we don't need to eat animals. We can live perfectly healthy lives on a vegetarian diet and I see no need to harm animals when it's not a necessity.

ReputationRep:

Of course the argument above will only go down well with the religious("The People of the Book", so not hindus and the like), but for the non-religious you could argue that it is the survival of the fittest. Since we humans are more "fit" to the environment and more intelligent than animals it is not immoral for us to utilise our ability and intelligence to haunt animals down.

Cheers
    I am not religious, and like I said before, I'm one of those who refrains from eating meat because of the ethical reasons and the fact that I personally wouldn't want to eat something that was reared and killed for consumption. It's quite hard to explain really, I just don't think thepurpose of animals is purely human consumption (but then, as you say, I'm not religious :P)
    I'm not one to shove my beliefs down everyone else's throats though. If you eat meat because your religion tells you that its okay and you have nothing against it, then I understand. No one I know is vegetarian and I don't have a 'problem' with it, it's fine by me, I can sort of understand why they still eat meat. I'm not here to persuade anyone, I've just made the decision to not eat it based on (as naff as it sounds) my love for animals and the fact that I don't feel Ineed it in my diet
    (Also, I never really liked meat that much to begin with, so it wasn't something I struggled to give up!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian, after turning from a meat-eater 3 years ago.

I don't regret my decision, the only thing I miss about meat is bacon. But I find that the veggi ranges are more than sufficient.

I became a vegetarian because I was against the killing of innocent animals, also I am a massive lover of animals as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    i am a lover of animals but i do not believe that we should abstaine from eating them. they are our food just because technology has evolved to make processed foods an alternative, doesnt mean we need to disregard the basics. animals are there to be eaten, always have been and always will be.

i have nothing against vegetarians but i do not support it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Good Egg)
    I was brought up a vegetarian so it began with the whole "I can't be bothered to cook two meals" malarkey...

Recently though more and more of my family have reverted to their carnivore ways. I've made the decision to abstain because I find the concept of being reliant on another living, breathing species for survival rather unnerving.

But hey, I'm not going to get all Vegi-nazi about it and cut people out of my life for not accepting my morality...
    but no matter what you do, you will always be reliant on others because vegetarian produce comes from the Earth as well as the animals lilke milk from cows so you will still and always be dependent on the animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmyn)
    but no matter what you do, you will always be reliant on others because vegetarian produce comes from the Earth as well as the animals lilke milk from cows so you will still and always be dependent on the animals.
    I know... I suppose that veganism tries to bridge that gap a little.

Although I accept that it is a tall order to completely disenfranchise oneself from dependance on others, it's comforting to think that my survival is not connected directly with the death of another organism.

If cows were left alone, most of them would still produce milk. However, very few would attempt to fry themselves.

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    It's nice to know that there are some people out there that even though they eat meat, they're not all 'I hate vegetarians blah blah!' haha

I think its mainly due to the way the animals are treated before and during the slaughter. It's a bit different when a lion hunts it's prey, because the prey has actually lived a decent life, out in the wild, not cooped up in cages, with no sunlight and usually beaten. Thats my opinion anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    Cheers
    Vegetarianism was uncommon in the UK not so long ago, now it's more common. That may happen in your own country eventually, who knows.

I'm an atheist with Buddhist tendencies, so I don't know what the Quran say about this, but I'm fairly sure there is no commandment that you must eat meat, just statements that animals can be eaten if you need to, and examples of people doing so. Likewise, there is also no requirement in the Bible or Torah that people must eat meat either, AFAIK.

It's a simple fact that people can survive in good health on a vegetarian diet, so people do it because they want to, not because they are commanded to do it. The difference between us and the lions is that we have a choice and we know we have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are veggies so I was brought up as one from birth. I have tasted meat before and some of it I really like but if I started eating meat I would feel guilty as I'm a huge animal lover.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because to me it's morally correct and I can't see how it's fine to kill an animal of another species but to kill those of our own species is the height of unjust and disgusting (disclaimer:not saying that killing humans is fine!)
    Miser makes some excellent points

ReputationRep:
    I make no reservations in admitting that I like the taste of meat, particularly chicken... but I think something started to change when I was at university. I've only recently turned to vegetarianism, it's been about 6 months now and the issue has always been in the back of my mind for about a year prior to that; when I started taking huge interests in sustainability, personal finance and finding my own moral compass.

I have become a huge advocate of the anti-consumerist argument due to its wastefulness and lack of foresight for the future of our society, not just on its environmental impact but also the social side of things too. I suppose once I started to question these big paradigms that influence my life it was only a logical step that I eventually turned to my own diet and questioned how right it was to eat animals. I've slowly weaned myself off meat and I'm starting to do the same with fizzy drinks and excessive junk food eating (even if it is vegetarian junk food). So it's just become a part of who I am and how I see myself or the part I have to play in this world. I asked myself "Can I live with myself if I continue to do this?" and the answer was simple; no. So I stopped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Good Egg)
    If cows were left alone, most of them would still produce milk.
    They (like most other beings) only produce milk when pregnant.

(Original post by CurlyBen)
    Definitely not.
    I've been curious for a while though (and I'm not trying to pick a fight) - do many vegetarians realise how many animals are killed in the production of crops?
    Yes, but crops are also made for the meat-animals to produce. So we kill less animals overall.

ReputationRep:
    I am apart from fish,, so I supposed I'm more of a pescatarian?? I have been my whole life, my dad is against eating meat for ethical reasons so wanted his children to be vegetarian, but my mum really wanted us to eat fish as it's a bit healthier that way she thought so there we go!! I do agree with his ethical reasons though, I think if you can be healthy without killing animals then best to go without meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Vegetarianism was uncommon in the UK not so long ago, now it's more common. That may happen in your own country eventually, who knows.

I'm an atheist with Buddhist tendencies, so I don't know what the Quran say about this, but I'm fairly sure there is no commandment that you must eat meat, just statements that animals can be eaten if you need to, and examples of people doing so. Likewise, there is also no requirement in the Bible or Torah that people must eat meat either, AFAIK.

It's a simple fact that people can survive in good health on a vegetarian diet, so people do it because they want to, not because they are commanded to do it. The difference between us and the lions is that we have a choice and we know we have a choice.
    Yeah, as I said earlier it´s perfectly okay for a muslim to choose to not eat meat.
    I respect your choice not to eat meat, and I think you have a valid argument. I personally don´t eat meat a lot, since being from Iraq we normally eat rice with stew (7 days a week, sometimes 6 days). Sometimes there is meat in the stew and sometimes not, and therefore my meat consumption isn´t huge.
    I do however eat kebab ocassionally and that is meat, but I also eat falafel!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else rage when they're asked if they eat fish after having told someone you're a vegetarian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Does anyone else rage when they're asked if they eat fish after having told someone you're a vegetarian?
    I am past the rage on that one - I just sigh inwardly. There are people who eat fish but not meat (on health grounds rather than ethics, AFAIK) - they're called pescatarians. I guess that carnivores find it hard to differentiate between the different strands of vegetarianism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm semi-vegetarian and I actually born like that. My mother told me a funny story when I was a baby, she gave me baby food which was with meat and every time I had that food, I would spit out all the meat out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammi_K?)
    If so, why? What made you choose to become a vegetarian?
    I'm a vegetarian because I can't afford meat atm. When I can, cow will be back on the dinner table! Mm, delicious cow.

ReputationRep:
    Just because eating meat is unnecessary, especially at the rate people do, I started to see it as selfish. I know it's in our nature, but the way we go about it is pretty disgusting IMO. Maybe it's the way I feel about it but I don't get the hype either, there are much tastier foods out there than chicken.

Also Mr.Pastaferian (however you spell it): That annoys the hell out of me... A fish is still a freakin' animal, why would I make an acception for it? Right?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.