Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Skinny and Stressed Watch

I am a 17 year old male, who is 8.8 stone and is 5.11.

I am really self-conscious about how skinny built I am. I've never had a girlfriend and I'm too unsure of myself to even think about flirting with anyone. I'm generally speechless in most social occasions even around friends sometime (making me scared of parties etc.), and although I've got lots of girl friends-ish, none of them seem remotely interested in me. I seem to be the runt of my male friends as they joke about me being boring/skinny/straight-laced (I don't swear), and I never feel like an equal unless I'm with just one of these friends alone.

I feel like I eat a substantial amount, but I don't exercise I'd join the gym/do exercise if it wasn't for the "gym-culture" and the constant A-Level work I'm doing. All of this results in me being low in self-esteem, tired, stressed and loveless.

What can I do?

Help please, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You need to gain weight, take proper healthy diet and do some exercise but still if you can't gain weight it really doesn't big problem. You have to boost self confidence and believe that you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone with exactly the same problem,
    He's now managed to gain a stone whilst at uni just by increasing his calories substantially due to many courses in his catered halls and double dinners!
    Its not magic,
    You just simply have to put in more than you are using up- stressing out a lot will impair your appetite and burn calories due to the excess adrenalin.
    And it should be the right thing, try calorie dense foods if you struggle eating a lot at once.

ReputationRep:
    Make some time to work out imo.
    You'll find it's great for the body and the mind!
    I started off working out from a skinny frame too, so not to worry. Makes you happy & gives you more confidence.
    Good luck :]
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961 <---- expert on home workouts. This guy is all natural and even a vegetarian I believe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Help please, thank you.
    Simple, up the CLEAN calorie intake (Not junk food, eat long carbs), work out at home like push ups in your bedroom, ab crunchs and all that. Its amazing what you can actually do in tiny spaces.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.